.Type 2. Possibility of adding Byetta/Victoza.

Paula112

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm Paula I live in Cambridgeshire and have been type 2 since 2014 I have been on metaformin 4x 500 daily and have now had glipapride added 2mg my bs are all over the place and can't seem to stabilise got my dn phoning on Friday with possibility of starting injections byetta or Victozia anyone here on them ?

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Hi @Paula112 . A very warm welcome to you. You've come to the right place for help and advice but I can't answer your questions myself as I take no medication for my diabetes. I'll tag @daisy1 who will provide you with some informative reading and I'm sure some more experienced members will come along and answer your queries re Byetta and Victozia.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum you are in the right place, there are a lot of helpful members here. I'm sorry but I cant answer your question but someone will be along soon who will be able to help.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Paula112

Hello Paula and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and which should help you generally to reduce/stabilise your levels. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
hello and Welcome..... not on them but am sure you will soon be sorted :)

JOANN K

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Paula, I am a T2 too, newly diagnosed, but no meds. You should go online to dietdoctor.com and also search Jason Fung. They both have lots of information and education. Good luck to you.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi Paula, I am a T2 too, newly diagnosed, but no meds. You should go online to dietdoctor.com and also search Jason Fung. They both have lots of information and education. Good luck to you.

Paula, it's a good idea to be skeptical about advice given by anyone other than your doctor, or the generic advice posted above that has been carefully prepared by a group of experienced members here.

I checked out the dietdoctor website and it raises some alarm bells for me. It's anti-medication and anti-calorie counting, for starters. I think most here who don't use medication have chosen that after a long period of learning about their diabetes, and they get appropriate regular monitoring to check they aren't getting serious complications from diabetes.

Here's a link the the About page at dietdoctor, if anyone wants to check it out for themselves. http://www.dietdoctor.com/about

Jason Fung's website raised fewer alarm bells for me, but I still don't think it's appropriate unless you have tried more mainstream strategies and they aren't working and you know a lot about your condition and its management. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/theory/

Reactions: 4 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi and welcome
You say your bloods are all over the place what sort of food do you have ? If you follow the NHS advice then don't it's the quickest way to start injections , cut right down on crabs as daisy has said and take on more good fat is the right way to get your sugars down this can happen quite quickly so give it ago .
Keep well stay safe JJ

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that you should always check with your doctor before you make any drastic changes especially if you have any other medical conditions because if so this could have a bearing on what you do

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do follow Daisy's advice given above. I can only guess that as the GP is suggesting Byetta or Victoza that your BMI may be on the high side? Following Daisy's low-carb advice should help a lot in wiehgt reduction. I've never taken those meds but I know some on this forum have so perhaps they will comment.

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. It is worth looking at your diet to see if changes will make a difference. If you don't have a meter it's a good thing to consider as you can test you levels and see how what you eat affects you as we are all slightly different. I've reduced my carbs which is making a difference to me. You need to find what works for you, but other members can help with any questions you have and to make suggestions if this might help. Sorry I can't help with the medicine questions currently diet controlled. Good luck with your appointment and hope you find what's right for you soon

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I checked out the dietdoctor website and it raises some alarm bells for me. It's anti-medication and anti-calorie counting, for starters.

And the bad thing about anti-medication and anti-calorie counting is what exactly?

I think most here who don't use medication have chosen that after a long period of learning about their diabetes, and they get appropriate regular monitoring to check they aren't getting serious complications from diabetes.

Not necessarily, some of us chose that from day one, with the acknowledgement of our medical team, but still of course checking progress by self-testing and regular check-ups.

Anyway, getting back to the OP I suspect the increase in meds is due at least in part to following the NICE-recommended diet (which certainly does raise alarm bells). You need to discuss this with your team of course, but many have found that reduced carbs in your diet can reduce the need for meds considerably.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
And the bad thing about anti-medication and anti-calorie counting is what exactly?

Not necessarily, some of us chose that from day one, with the acknowledgement of our medical team, but still of course checking progress by self-testing and regular check-ups.

Anyway, getting back to the OP I suspect the increase in meds is due at least in part to following the NICE-recommended diet (which certainly does raise alarm bells). You need to discuss this with your team of course, but many have found that reduced carbs in your diet can reduce the need for meds considerably.

Some people need medication but this site doesn't seem to allow for that. It seems to demonise medication without also saying that in some situations medication can be necessary and beneficial, and worth the risks. It's an ideological position when what is needed is practical, logical decision making based on the needs of the individual.

The site makes the bold claim that "calorie counting is an eating disorder", which is offensive to people with eating disorders and to people who count calories or look to restrict their calories. Calorie restriction is the scientific/medical/dietician endorsed way of managing weight and general health. You can tweak the types of food all you like but if you eat more calories than you spend in energy, you will gain weight, which usually contributes to diabetes and other illnesses. Some people get diabetes without being overweight or obese, but for most people weight is a key factor. Many low carb diets do lead to reduced calories, but to completely write off calorie counting with a ridiculous link to (genuine, serious) eating disorders is just... ugh... it's hard to think of a response that isn't rude.

These two examples are just what I could glean from one introductory page of the website. They don't bode well for the rest of the content. If you can truly keep all your blood test results in the target range without any meds at all, good for you. Some can't, and they should not be given thinly veiled criticism for that. Some people have more than just diabetes going on.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Well it's not really staying on topic with the OP, to whom I apologise, but it's a pity you didn't read further into the item concerned and the context of the value and impact of calories from different food groups. Here's the article so that people can make up their own minds rather than rely on a repeated headline.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/why-calorie-counting-is-an-eating-disorder

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Some people need medication but this site doesn't seem to allow for that. It seems to demonise medication without also saying that in some situations medication can be necessary and beneficial, and worth the risks.

How on earth did you happen to arrive at that conclusion? This site caters for everyone, whether they be on meds, off them with appropriate control or require them for other conditions.

Some other sweeping generalizations in your post I will let go.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm Paula I live in Cambridgeshire and have been type 2 since 2014 I have been on metaformin 4x 500 daily and have now had glipapride added 2mg my bs are all over the place and can't seem to stabilise got my dn phoning on Friday with possibility of starting injections byetta or Victozia anyone here on them ?

Hi Paula, a warm welcome to the club. :cool: Unfortunately I'm an insulin using T1. But I will make an observation that could help pull in, thus attracting comments from those using the medication you seek advice for.?

Amend the thread title to include the drug in the header. ;)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Paula and welcome to the forum
I was also diagnosed at the beginnig of 2014 and was placed on metformin like you. The difference is that I am now not on medication at all and neither do I have elevated blood glucose or even have to worry about what I ate (reversed/cured/whatever you want to call it) so I cannot help you with the drugs that the doctor wishes to prescribe for you to help you to return your blood glucose levels to normal.

I would like to suggest you have a read of the work from Professor Roy Taylor from Newcastle University http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

It may be a revelation and you may wish to discuss this with your doctor. I think the choice is yours: follow your current diet with escalating drugs or make a change for the future. I am not going to prescribe the options for you as there are several such as low glycemic, low carb, low calorie. Low calorie is an interim measure and will help you to re-normalise your body but you then need to decide on a route. From my experience low carb seems to be more successful but I vary mine on purpose just to keep my body used to everything but that is after my low calorie reversal process.

Reactions: 3 people