Type 2 remission

kim#mimi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have T2 but am currwently in remission, which is great. It took low carb diet and 3 metaformin a day but that was no hardship. Have been in remission for 4 years now. I am just about to try the 12 week plan from Diabetes UK so will let you know how I get on.
I managed to get myself back into the pre-diabetes range following LC but my cholesterol has risen, as result I'll be signing up to the 12 week program, once I get paid, as I feel need a bit of guidance.

hecate105

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, unfairness, cruelty,
Yes - when i was first diagosed i went on a very low carb diet - no carrots even!! My level came down to normal within 3 months. But the low carb diet played havoc with my insides - gave me terrible tummyache and diarrhoea and my cholestrol went right up!!
DR also did not say it would go back again - so it was a surprise 3 years later to be told i was diabetic again!! This time i did 2 courses thru the Doctors - one a standard diabetic one the other a WholeLife vegan diet. Before i started them i did the intermittent fasting really assiduously - and got back into 'normal' - but did the vegan thing to make them happy (i used to be vegan so it wasn't hard!) As soon as i finished both courses - i was told i could not have my blood sugar tested anymore - just once a year!!!
So = i have lost faith in the medical experts - i just have to figure it out myself - so got a Libre kit (first one is free from Abbott if you are type 2!!) and am getting confused so far!!!

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hi, I have T2 but am currwently in remission, which is great. It took low carb diet and 3 metaformin a day but that was no hardship. Have been in remission for 4 years now. I am just about to try the 12 week plan from Diabetes UK so will let you know how I get on.
Is your remission due to total change of diet, or is it sustained even though you have gone back to eating normally?

Chris24Main

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm currently on-course for remission (last 1c measurement was 36) - but I think the term is deliberate - I have to think of the end diagnosis as being something that happened because my hormones were out of balance (for a long time) because I didn't understand the effect of what I was eating (too many carbs). I know what I need to do to reverse the effects (eat fewer carbs) but if I don't keep doing that, my hormones (insulin) will simply get out of balance again.

There are obvious parallels to an alcoholic being in remission, but I also find it helpful to reflect on how much better I feel and how much I'm enjoying the food I'm eating now. I think what I'm doing now is eating normally, and don't ever want to go back to what caused the problem.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
We are all different in genes, gut biome, insulin sensitivity. tastes in food etc. So eating 'normally' should be different for different people too!
Since it's obvious that eating normally should not harm us, in my opinion, for a T2 Diabetic in remission, eating normally is thus, in almost all cases, eating fewer carbs than before, and probably eating lower GI foods and less processed food.