Type 2 treatment

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi i eat healthy all the time and play sports all over the country. I am getting fed up my doctor put me on another tablet last week called dapaflozin i am also on linagliptin x1. 4x metformin and 1x dapaflozin. I am hoping this works but still have readings at night 2 hours after food from 12.7 upwards and i had one the other night of 19.5. What is the next step if all these tablets dont work. As i need to get it under control as i am back on tour in 4 weeks

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
Hi i eat healthy all the time and play sports all over the country. I am getting fed up my doctor put me on another tablet last week called dapaflozin i am also on linagliptin x1. 4x metformin and 1x dapaflozin. I am hoping this works but still have readings at night 2 hours after food from 12.7 upwards and i had one the other night of 19.5. What is the next step if all these tablets dont work. As i need to get it under control as i am back on tour in 4 weeks
could you give more details as to what would be your normal meal so we can help you better

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You state you eat healthily, but so do many people that arrive here for the first time, and it turns out they aren't eating as healthily as they think. ;)

Give us a clue about a typical day's food and we'll see if we can spot something. You shouldn't be running high on the meds you have unless your diet s a bit wonky. Something is wrong somewhere, possibly your diet, maybe your meds..

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A "so called healthy" diet for a non diabetic contains far too many carbs for us type 2's.
Tweaking your diet could even help you reduce medication eventually.
I control with diet alone.
Can you give us a breakdown of your daily food and we'll try to help :)

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My typical days meals are porridge for breakfast. Sandwich for lunch and either meat or pasta for tea and obvisouly i train every other day for at least between 1 and 2 hours

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
My typical days meals are porridge for breakfast. Sandwich for lunch and either meat or pasta for tea and obvisouly i train every other day for at least between 1 and 2 hours
are you using semi skimmed milk this contains sugar ,a normal slice of white bread contains around 28g of carbs which your body turns to sugar and pasta is all carbs so a big no no.
i understand you need your carbs for training but you will need to find a balance as to how many carbs you can reduce in your meals but still have enough for your training .
there is a lot of trial and error until you can find the balance that suits you most of us follow a low carb high fat diet increasing the fats to replace the carbs for energy but not saturated fats

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

OK I now think we know the reason for your high levels. :)

Bread, pasta, potatoes, creals, rice and flour are foods we have to be very careful with. Also fruit and milk. They are high in carbs and all carbs turn to glucose once inside the system. Carbs = glucose = high blood glucose levels. If you seriously reduce them and keep testing to make sure you don't go too low because of your meds, you will see a difference. Lower the carbs and increase the fats to replace the lost energy, which you will need for your training. Plenty of top sportspeople manage this way.

Please read round, look at the sports and fitness section, and ask questions. We are all here to help you.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'd have really high BG on all those carbs. I think you could improve dramatically if you cut some of them out.
Do you test your BG before and after meals, you'll see what spikes you then.

Breakfast could be based on eggs, bacon , good quality sausage.etc. Or high fat yoghurt with berries.

If you need a sandwich for convenience the Lidl high protein rolls (dark and triangular in the bakery section) have far less carbs than standard bread.Use real butter and a generous meat, cheese, or pate type filling, I love smoked salmon and cream cheese.

Cut out the pasta and try courgetti or cauliflower rice. Any meats or fish for your tea with salads or overground veg. Butter or full fat mayo encouraged.

This may seem weird and so unlike a recommended "healthy " diet .. but trust us... lots of us... it works !

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok will try all this just could not understand that i have eaten the same way since i was diagnosed. I am also back at doctors next week to see how im getting on with the new meds

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok will try all this just could not understand that i have eaten the same way since i was diagnosed. I am also back at doctors next week to see how im getting on with the new meds

If you have eaten this way since diagnosis, then this is possibly the reason you haven't controlled it and have been given more and more meds to help you. People following the low carb high fat way of eating have found they have been able to reduce meds and even ditch them completely.

When seeing your doctor do mention this to him. I have little doubt he will say what a load of rubbish, you must eat carbs, most of them do because at the moment this is the NHS guideline. Insist you are going to give it a try, but do be aware that you are taking meds appropriate to your current diet. If you cut down those carbs your meds will be too strong and unless you test, test, test, you may hypo. You may end up having to cut the meds - with your doctor's knowledge of course.

Your current diet isn't working, so you will lose nothing by trying a different one.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Your training will be helping significantly to lower your blood glucose, but you are on a very high carbohydrate intake and all those carbs are being converted to glucose when digested. Porridge can be ok for some, but for others including myself it pushes up my BG. Your sandwich is also high carb as is the pasta.
I would suggest that there are two ways to control your diabetes, though not mutually exclusive but related. The quantity and type of medication you require depends on your blood glucose and your blood glucose primarily depends on what you eat. If you eat less high carb foods your BG will fall (even with no medication) and if you can reduce your BG your GP may be able to reduce or change your medication.

Dave

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my blood glucose was 17.1 at diagnosis and I have now seen 4.9 mmol/l - just eating low carb for three months. No pills since Christmas.
I go by what I see on my meter, but my Hba1c had almost halved so the improvement must be consistent even when I am not checking.

Reactions: Ultramum