Type 2

Frankie T

I'm newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My initial readings were HbA1c was 124 mmol and blood sugar level was 15.4.

I'm taking Metformin twice a day for a couple of weeks and changed my diet.

My question is relating to my eyes, how long does it generally take for blurred vision to improve?

My last couple of blood sugar tests were between 6.9 and 9.9, so assuming that's kinda stable.

Any advice appreciated.

mouseee

Welcome! All sorts of help here, stick around.

124 is high but you can definitely improve it and sounds like you've made a good start.

I was diagnosed almost a year ago and the blurry vision was scary. It took about 6 or 7 weeks to go but it is fine now. I went low carb and brought my numbers from 101 to 39 in 6 months. Although lockdown won't have helped that and I suspect its crept up a bit.

Reactions: Frankie T and ert

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Good start, diet and exercise are key! I didn’t have vision symptoms, but my other symptoms took about the same as mouseee, at around six weeks

Reactions: Frankie T

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My initial readings were HbA1c was 124 mmol and blood sugar level was 15.4.

I'm taking Metformin twice a day for a couple of weeks and changed my diet.

My question is relating to my eyes, how long does it generally take for blurred vision to improve?

My last couple of blood sugar tests were between 6.9 and 9.9, so assuming that's kinda stable.

Any advice appreciated.

Very similar to my numbers on diagnosis April 22nd 2020. The blurry vision got better after first month of low carb and blood sugars dropping. Medium and distance I had no issues but reading and general short distance vision got pretty bad on and off. Not had an issue with it since June touch wood. Would hope you do similarly? How long ago was diagnosis? If between 6 and 10 now then vision should remedy fairly soon on my experience.

Frankie T

Very similar to my numbers on diagnosis April 22nd 2020. The blurry vision got better after first month of low carb and blood sugars dropping. Medium and distance I had no issues but reading and general short distance vision got pretty bad on and off. Not had an issue with it since June touch wood. Would hope you do similarly? How long ago was diagnosis? If between 6 and 10 now then vision should remedy fairly soon on my experience.
I only got diagnosed on 12th June so it's early days but my blood sugar results today we're within the normal 4 to 7 range. I guess I just need to be patient but it's hard as I work on a computer and can't read the screen.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My blurry vision went after a couple of weeks so just be patient.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only got diagnosed on 12th June so it's early days but my blood sugar results today we're within the normal 4 to 7 range. I guess I just need to be patient but it's hard as I work on a computer and can't read the screen.

You've done ever so well imo. I got stuck in 9s after rapid initial loss and got bit impatient but as advised by couple of wiser folk on here I'm now seeing 'normal' readings. Whatever you are doing I'd suggest carry on.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Frankie, I never wore glasses before diagnosis but my eyes went blurry the minute I started insulin and my levels started to drop. It did take around 3 months for my eyes to get back to normal so in the meantime I bought a cheap, over the counter pair of specs to tide me over, meaning I could actually see my keyboard. After 3 months the glasses were discarded and I still don't wear them at the grand old age of 59! x