type 2

dbuk33

hello,
been to practice nurse, been told type 2 diabetes, came away with lots of leaflets and prescriptions, statins etc, need a flu jab, and basically lose weight, stop smoking and take more exercise,
as i thought,
food is a bit limiting though, as i love my carbs, oh well its all for my good so here goes, :mrgreen:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Lots of diabetics still eat carbs dbuk33 just not in the portions that they used to so theres no reason to give them up completely unless you want to :D

dbuk33

hi thanks for reply, re carbs , i know what you mean, but i live on pasta and bread !!, and the portions she showed me wouldnt fill a gnat, lol, will have to fill up on something, or ill waste away, :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Yep, white bread and pasta are the two carbs that I dont/cant eat. Last time I ate white bread was about two years ago and it sent me straight into double figures and as you say with pasta the amount that I can eat makes it a waste of time really so I just eat it once in a blue moon and accept that I will have high bg for a few hours, a shame really as I loved pasta before D day :cry:

Unbeliever

The only time I eat white bread is after i have had. procedures in the operating theatre in the hospital. I am then offered a piece of white bread toast and a cup of tea.
My blood sugars shoot up but it is worth it as several nurses have learned from testing my bgs before and after that bread has this effect on me.
It goes against the "received " wisdom. 6 weeks ago the nurse refused to believe that I hadn't had a "sly " bar of chocolate and was totally incredulous when I said that a bar of chocolate would have had less effect. A bit disturbing as she was a link nurse between the diabetes dept and he eye clinic!

I must be making some headway as t :D oday they refused to test my bg after I had eaten the toast......

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
dbuk33 said:
hi thanks for reply, re carbs , i know what you mean, but i live on pasta and bread !!, and the portions she showed me wouldnt fill a gnat, lol, will have to fill up on something, or ill waste away, :lol:

Me too! I love pasta and thick white bread buttered toast - well I did :lol: Now it's wholemeal bread and Flora Light! I'm awaiting my results as I had a 2nd fasting blood test on Tues so should get them tomorrow.

I've bought the GI Diet book by Rick Gallop - the pocket version and "Living the GI Diet".

Yes, there is a lot you can't/shouldn't eat :( but over the last 3-4wks I've lost about 9lb trying to follow it. It ain't easy and I totally relate to having to limit and really think about what you're eating.

Good Luck :)