Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
7/8/16 - Morning.

Reactions: 2 people

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
4.9 @ 08.10 (Wavesense Jazz / Contour XT) Ate at a restaurant in the Lake District, where they did not sell vegetables on the menu, I made do with two starters Sea Bream and Ribs with salad.

Reactions: 4 people

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting level this morning was 24.3
Welcome to the forum, Dont worry! It takes time to get those numbers down, this site really does help giving you an informed choice on what you can do to help yourself.

This morning 4.9 but have the shakes even after eating must have had sugar at one point and getting withdrawal symptoms again... after eating breakfast 6.1 that is a new (normally cant tolerate anything in the morning) any way back to fasting tomorrow and wishing every one a low (good) bgl day :)

Reactions: 6 people

Gingerjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed on Tuesday. Not on meds as I am try to control by diet. Have had a low since then of 7.1 but just tested after breakfast and 10.3. Is this usual when newly diagnosed. Cutting carbs right down and trying the LCHF Diet. Don't think I got a lot of info from Practice Nurse. Thanks

Reactions: 10 people

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diagnosed on Tuesday. Not on meds as I am try to control by diet. Have had a low since then of 7.1 but just tested after breakfast and 10.3. Is this usual when newly diagnosed. Cutting carbs right down and trying the LCHF Diet. Don't think I got a lot of info from Practice Nurse. Thanks
You are doing well almost getting into the 6's. It might take a few weeks / months for your numbers to regularly get into the 5's, 6's and maybe the 4's. If you are in a position to exercise, maybe the recommended 10,000 steps a day or a program of cardio and light resistance training, you are likely to surprise yourself. I power walk, occasionally run and do various fitness sessions - the first 2 weeks are the hardest.

Gingerjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. I have a very arthritic knee- may need a new one soon so my visits to the gym have all but stopped. Went this afternoon though and had a reading of 6.7! Had a low carb dinner and now 8.7. Is it just going to take time to settle down? Only diagnosed on Tuesdsy

Reactions: 5 people

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you. I have a very arthritic knee- may need a new one soon so my visits to the gym have all but stopped. Went this afternoon though and had a reading of 6.7! Had a low carb dinner and now 8.7. Is it just going to take time to settle down? Only diagnosed on Tuesdsy
I am not an expert, but my wife is a Physio and Sports Scientist. I have asked her about your training, and she says static cycling (which is what I do) or water aerobics might suit your gym sessions. A 6.7 is excellent without medication. You seem to be one of the lucky ones who is not too severely insulin resistant, as you are not medicated and obtaining low 7's and 6's already. I think if you can stick with the low carb diet and sensible training you will see further improvement. I went from over 16's to regular late 4's by putting into practice what I have suggested; as your numbers are on a downward spiral, you are likely to get the same. Stick at it, even in the tough times and your body will reward you.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry sent too soon. Only diagnosed on Tuesday and determined not to take Metformin
I came off Metformin 5 days ago, as I have lost 10 kgs, and train at high intensity. I believe I have reduced my visceral fat around my liver and pancreas which helps with the insulin uptake. The low carb diet which I took up over the last 2 weeks helps to not require too much insulin which means less fat into the cells.

Reactions: 6 people

Gingerjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do tend to have high readings in the morning before breakfast - 13 ish. Heard of the liver dump or dawn phenomenon, what can I do to help this a bit?

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
8.1 this morning at 8.30am (7.8.16) - having problems with exercise due to injured foot. Swimming pool open tomorrow, thank goodness!

Reactions: 7 people

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do tend to have high readings in the morning before breakfast - 13 ish. Heard of the liver dump or dawn phenomenon, what can I do to help this a bit?
Try changing your dinner time (keep testing to find what suits your body) and eat less carbs.

I eat later at night (about 9pm) and get 4s and 5s... however i eat VERY few carbs and so dont spike that much after eating. As well as regular fasting. Some people may find eating earlier helps, but every one is different and their bodies react differently (even if it is the same/ similar outcome of hbgl) so try playing around with meal times and different dinners and see what it does to your sugars.. i am sorry i cant be more definitive and i dont think any one honest can tell you what will happen... that is why we test loads so that we can get a better understanding of what is happening to us as individuals.

You will be able to find what foods do what to you, even on the lc diet i find i cant tolerate some of the "ok" foods and some of the "bad/ no no" foods i can... but i wouldnt know unless i tested, think like weaning a baby! You only introduce one food at a time to make sure it is ok for them (thus if they react to that food you know to avoid it!) You will probably need to do the same until you have a list of foods/ ingredients that are "safe" for you to eat and i would encourage keeping a spread sheet (think geek) with before and after blood results next to the food you ate, i also dont stop at 2hrs because some foods over reach that and dont release their sugars until some time later. Once you get the hang of it you wont have to test as much. Hope you do well... let us know

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having chocolate, it's a darn disaster!
Ah, yes, the smell of freshly cooked bacon wafting across the beach - makes me ravenous just thinking about it!!!
We used to holiday in Cornwall quite often when I was a child, camping at a site on a cliff top overlooking the beach at Polzeath, where mushrooms grew profusely in the fields. We kids used to go and collect field mushrooms to go with the bacon in the mornings. I can still remember the cool, waxy feel of the mushroom caps in our hands and the smell of the bacon cooking as we walked back across the field...

Bacon, you said :D
Now pictures on bacon is dancing around in my mind!
Bacon, yes, bacon....

Reactions: 2 people