Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It can take more than 6wks for some to see lowrr fbgs when they reduce their carb intake alone. IF only temporarily lowers fbgs as a side affect of low calorie diet.

I've been low carbing since December with a few slip ups but mainly been really good!!

FBG today is a wonderful 5.5 so my extended fast has helped a lot.

Fasting from what I understand is about lowering insulin levels whilst maintaining a low carb lifestyle. It definitely helps reduce my bg as well as lose weight. Challenge now is to keep the bg down through diet. I'm encouraged though

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Debrasue,

Yes sorry should have written that. Although I always willing to try it again. I have been having a navel orange before bed and it seems to help, this week i have been 8.5 to 9.2 which is certainly down a little.

Seeing a new Endo in a month, My Brothers Endo (Type II is the family curse) hopefully she will have some ideas.

Hi.
I say go as low as you can with carbs if you want your bg to come down. It makes sense to treat the cause and not the symptom. The cause is sugar, the symptom is high bg.

Have you looked at anything by Jason Fung? Or www.dietdoctor.com?

I no longer listen to anti-low carb people. They've really no idea.

D x

Reactions: 9 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good Morning! 6.5 again at 0530 today.
Fasting doesn't seem to be lowering my fbg level, but at least it is quite consistent. I will keep it up at least until my HbA1c test at the end of the month. I'm not finding it difficult, I don't feel hungry, though I have had the odd couple of biscuits, handful of peanuts, or bag of pork scratchings during the day, more through boredom than feeling the need to eat something.

Reactions: 11 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
6.1 this morning :)

Reactions: 14 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting doesn't seem to be lowering my fbg level, but at least it is quite consistent. I will keep it up at least until my HbA1c test at the end of the month. I'm not finding it difficult, I don't feel hungry, though I have had the odd couple of biscuits, handful of peanuts, or bag of pork scratchings during the day, more through boredom than feeling the need to eat something.

How long are your fasts? If you try to extend them with just drinks, I'm sure it'll help lower your bg's. It gives the body a break and insulin levels come down further. Keep away from biscuits- they're evil lol!!!

Reactions: 2 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
5.3 again today, and that's after a sneaky late night beer so I'm quite happy with that.

Reactions: 13 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Morning All

Up to 5.6 for me today. Might be a bit excited as I am picking up a nice new MX5 later ;)

Reactions: 9 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Try veg dinner to break fast. Veg for dinner helps to empty your stomach. Protein and especially fat slows the stomach emptying process. Save protein for supper nibble to combat liver dump. It works for some.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Morning All

Up to 5.6 for me today. Might be a bit excited as I am picking up a nice new MX5 later ;)
Mine would be in 9s from champagne too! I'm excited for you now. I might have to polish my 1970s mini as consulation. ;)

Reactions: 3 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

I had a large bag of crisps as a treat. Some treat indeed, must stop mistreating myself.
@Serena51 are you having cooked veg handy for those snacky moments? Cook them every day. I buy frozen. Once cooked they can be enjoyed anytime. Fill up on them. Dont leave room for any carbs. ;)

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having chocolate, it's a darn disaster!
5.1 at 6:20 am today.
Yesterday cannot help myself to the yummy satay peanut sauce, that definitely has sugar in it!

Waking up later than usual. Tired. At least now I know why my BGL was yo-yoing last week and this fatigue.
Being 6 weeks pregnant. Wow, so much surprises in life!

Very happy though.

Reactions: 12 people