Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Morning All

4.8 for me today.

CallyAndy - you might not be doing anything wrong, you could simply be seeing the inherent inaccuracy of the meters we use. They are only required to be +/- 15% at 10, improving to +/- at 5. So a true value of 8 could easily give a value on your meter of anywhere between 7 and 9.

I think the trick is not to worry too much about individual results - except when experimenting with different foods - but just watch the trends.

Reactions: Prem51

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
12.3 for gods sake

Don't get uptight every time you go to test? It will push up your result - just relax and accept your result. Remember, most of us have been in your position with high numbers and some still get them! :)

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All

4.8 for me today.

CallyAndy - you might not be doing anything wrong, you could simply be seeing the inherent inaccuracy of the meters we use. They are only required to be +/- 15% at 10, improving to +/- at 5. So a true value of 8 could easily give a value on your meter of anywhere between 7 and 9.

I think the trick is not to worry too much about individual results - except when experimenting with different foods - but just watch the trends.
Thank you Tim, as a newbie, I've no idea what I'm doing. Just taken another reading before lunch and it was 6.2!! What the heck!! I thought it was meant to be lowest in the morning?

:confused:

Cally

A

asparagusp

Thank you Tim, as a newbie, I've no idea what I'm doing. Just taken another reading before lunch and it was 6.2!! What the heck!! I thought it was meant to be lowest in the morning?

Cally

I think post breakfast is supposed to be the highest reading! I'm sure others here will be able to answer your question.

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Cally

For Type 2 Diabetics Blood Glucose Ranges.

Before Meals. = 4 to 7.
2 hours after Meals = 4 to 8.5 (or 9 for some people).

So, your 6.2 before Lunch was within range. Interesting to see what it is 2 hours after Lunch - depending on what you ate? Liam:)

Last edited:

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Before Meals. = 4 to 7.

So, your 6.2 before Lunch was within range. Interesting to see what it is 2 hours after Lunch - depending on what you ate? Liam:)
Light lunch, celery and st agur cheese. a few blueberries with yoghurt/cream.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Before Meals. = 4 to 7.

6.7 just now. Does that sound rightish? , BTW thanks for your help William

Reactions: debrasue and Prem51

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't get uptight every time you go to test? It will push up your result - just relax and accept your result. Remember, most of us have been in your position with high numbers and some still get them! :)
Think pink!!:happy:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What the heck!! I thought it was meant to be lowest in the morning?:confused:
@callyandy fbg (fasting blood glucose) readings taken first thing in the morning can often be high because of liver dump (Dawn Phenomenon). Your liver can dump stored glucose into your blood stream as you wake to give you an energy boost ast you get going for the day, or because you don't have enough glucose in your blood stream.
It's quite normal and non-diabetics get it too.
Your fbgs are usually the last to get lower but should decrease as your liver uses up it's stored glucose

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you retest right finger again? Ceck meter batteries if similiar happens again, if constantly happening get to A&E.

ickihun, I believe it was a faulty strip. It asked for more blood and that was what happened. I would be on the floor if it was really 0.9.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@callyandy fbg (fasting blood glucose) readings taken first thing in the morning can often be high because of liver dump (Dawn Phenomenon). Your liver can dump stored glucose into your blood stream as you wake to give you an energy boost ast you get going for the day, or because you don't have enough glucose in your blood stream.
It's quite normal and non-diabetics get it too.
Your fbgs are usually the last to get lower but should decrease as your liver uses up it's stored glucose

Thank you Prem51, More info to add to my expanding pile.:wideyed:

Just noticed your avatar is raining...

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
6.7 just now. Does that sound rightish? , BTW thanks for your help William

Brilliantly, Well Done - Cally :). You are welcome. And don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how daft you may think they are, we have all been there and know how much there is to learn and absorb. William:)