Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.7, continuing the trend started at the beginning of last week when I finally began the Newcastle Diet. That saw my fasting levels drop sharply from the 6s and 7s they had always been.

I'm now 10 days into it and have lost 12 lbs.

That's quite a shift. Well done.

seanmorris1

Have any of you been told like I have by my diabetes doctor from hospital if I drop below 5 and into the 4s I need to get some glucose down me as under 5 is dangerous for a diabetic? I went to see him Monday and was concerned my blood sugars were still anything from 8-12 but I got told by him that was a fantastic reading as a diabetic he said that he would expect ne to average what I am and usually only none diabetics would get readings of 7 or lower. He also told me if I did drop below 5 then their was a very good chance I would pass out due to having a hypo so to make sure if I got to anywhere in the 5 region to get my sugars up using anything with lots of sugar like lucazade. Just wondered cos a lot of you are saying you are down to 4 or 5s.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's quite a shift. Well done.

Thanks.

I'm hoping I can keep it going but I am wondering where it all goes next. I suppose I need to look for an improved response to any intake of carbs (i.e. a quicker drop in BG after eating) and, eventually, a better toleration of carbs, as the potential reversal (hopefully) takes effect?

There's a long way to go and it's not going to get easier, I suspect.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was 6.8!!!!

Record level today :-(

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't test this morning. My fasting hasn't changed since I began testing on 17th April. Average 6.2. I'm giving it a rest for now. I think!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have any of you been told like I have by my diabetes doctor from hospital if I drop below 5 and into the 4s I need to get some glucose down me as under 5 is dangerous for a diabetic? I went to see him Monday and was concerned my blood sugars were still anything from 8-12 but I got told by him that was a fantastic reading as a diabetic he said that he would expect ne to average what I am and usually only none diabetics would get readings of 7 or lower. He also told me if I did drop below 5 then their was a very good chance I would pass out due to having a hypo so to make sure if I got to anywhere in the 5 region to get my sugars up using anything with lots of sugar like lucazade. Just wondered cos a lot of you are saying you are down to 4 or 5s.

Sean - are you T1, or T2? I note you take Metformin and insulin.

I am T2 and absolutely fine down to the mid 3s. I could be fine lower, but if have never recorded anything lower. I don't take any medication, but when I get low, my liver comes into play and dumps some glucose from its reserves.

Without more knowledge, and experience, I couldn't say what you should or shouldn't be doing, but on insulin, I do believe more caution is required. As I understand it, below 4 is the level at which T1s (and maybe other insulin users) usually consider taking steps to raise their levels. I doubt very much anyone is in danger of passing out at 5, but I could be very wrong on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I didn't do a fasting test. I was on strike because my levels never vary by more than an odd tenth, average 6.2.

Decided to break my strike today and ....... I was 5.7! So glad I broke the strike!

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.1 for me today.

Yesterday was a hungry day, following a busy week, so we had Nigella's Paella last night. Yes, I had quite a bit of it, but I was hungry. 4.2 before, 4.1 after. Of course the chilli oil from the chorizo helps things along. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was 4.8 this morning and an hour after exercising 5.1

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

But I did have pizza last night.

Been angelic today

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

But I did have pizza last night.

Been angelic today

Watch out for that "pizza effect". It's notorious for fooling folk into thinking they didn't spike too much, then takes effect 8 or more hours later!

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A nice low 5.1 for me this morning. One of my lowest morning readings.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for that "pizza effect". It's notorious for fooling folk into thinking they didn't spike too much, then takes effect 8 or more hours later!

Pizza really is evil. It's caused me to feel more tempted and I've had to distract myself. I have learned if I'm going to have it, then it must be outside the home otherwise, I'd be going back for more!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try it without the base, or is that the best bit? I don't know because I don't like pizza :)

Status
Not open for further replies.