Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest you concentrate on reducing your going to bed readings, which in turn should reduce your fasting levels. Have a think about what you eat for evening meal, the time you eat it, and whether you eat or drink anything after that, also whether you exercise in the evenings. All these things contribute to raised levels at bed time. Once you succeed in reducing this, your fasting levels should improve.

Jerri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I had a roll in tuna and red onion at 3pm after that I had nothing but water. Tested at 7am and it was 7.5. I eat very little. Unfortunately what I do eat usually contains some carbs, bar that roll all I had was a weetabix all day yesterday

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you have a problem because of your poor kidney function, as I recall from another thread. I hope you manage to get a diet sorted that is suitable for both your kidneys and your diabetes very soon. Unfortunately, Weetabix and rolls aren't good choices for diabetes, but you know this already. Good luck with it all.

Jerri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't know about the weetabix. I do know white breads bad but it was a whole meal role. Is all bread bad

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid so, but some people can cope with an odd slice of bread (I can, but not 2 slices and not a roll) Heavily seeded wholemeal is preferable to ordinary brown bread. You will only find out if your body can cope with it by testing. Some people buy LivLife bread from Waitrose, or Burgen bread as these are low carb breads.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JACKTHELAD - Interesting experiment. I've wondered about that as I'm sure some fingers give worse readings than others. I've mentioned before somewhere about whether the finger prick is releasing blood or interstitial fluid. I aso guess that glucose isn't necessarily homogenous (well mixed) throughout the blood. It must have different concentrations in different parts. Just theorising, have no references.

When I had my supervised tutorial at the hospital on how to prick a finger (forgive the sacasm) I was told not to squeeze the blood after making the prick as it would produce plasma which would affect the reading.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've heard this, too. However, I only have one finger that produces enough blood without a bit of help! I always was thick skinned. Lol :D

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I have sent for some control solution for my meter.

I don't think that will help to be honest Bluetit - the solution is only to test if the meter and strips are within (a fairly wide) range, they are not a fixed standard solution of specific value. But I do sometimes wonder how long the batteries last on the meters and if they start going haywire when they're running low.

5.7 at 5:30 am today, after 6.8 the night before. Even with having to have a few chips with dinner to provide a base level of calories out here in Cote d'Ivoire. Nice eggs, ham and salads though.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
When I had my supervised tutorial at the hospital on how to prick a finger (forgive the sacasm) I was told not to squeeze the blood after making the prick as it would produce plasma which would affect the reading.

I've never had the flow (or the time) to do other than squeeze - but if you always squeeze I guess you are at least comparing like with like for trend purposes.

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think that will help to be honest Bluetit - the solution is only to test if the meter and strips are within (a fairly wide) range, they are not a fixed standard solution of specific value. But I do sometimes wonder how long the batteries last on the meters and if they start going haywire when they're running low.

5.7 at 5:30 am today, after 6.8 the night before. Even with having to have a few chips with dinner to provide a base level of calories out here in Cote d'Ivoire. Nice eggs, ham and salads though.

Thanks Rod. I've also ordered new freebie batteries from Accu Chek.

Well done on the 5.7. Perhaps you should try a few chips more often. ;)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always squeeze!!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well..........5.5 this morning! Seem to be settling into mid 5's...........must be doing something right?!!

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
5.6 today, even after having a bit of pasta at dinner last night which took my 2 hour up to 7.4.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday's lowest ever morning reading has already been surpassed by a 4.9 this morning. And that's after going to bed with a slightly higher than usual evening reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 at 7:15am. This is good, except I have to confess I took a gliclazide last night. I had had a late kebab (meat only!!) and my bg rose to 7.2. I don't know what was in the kebab meat - and I know all the jokes;) - but it clearly wasn't just meat! (or is chilli sauce really bad? uhmmm). I didn't want a high sugar level all night so the glic was popped. Funny though that when I was told to take them they did nothing for my morning bg. I'm not ashamed really as if it works then it works, but I'd just rather not pop them, my poor old pancreas works hard enough as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.