Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5 this morning. Away this weekend at a work reunion get together ( 20 years on) so I don't imagine it will be so god tomorrow morning!

Reactions: 4 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
5.3 2hrs after waking, (forgot) still,in holiday mode, tomorrow will be interesting my weekly weigh in after returning from two weeks in our home in Spain, no scales in our Casa so no weigh in for 3 weeks, 12st 10lbs 3 weeks ago, down from 15st beginning of June, think I ate well in Spain but did drink every day hope not too,much damage has been done.

Will post tomorrow BG and weight. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 2hrs after waking, (forgot) still,in holiday mode, tomorrow will be interesting my weekly weigh in after returning from two weeks in our home in Spain, no scales in our Casa so no weigh in for 3 weeks, 12st 10lbs 3 weeks ago, down from 15st beginning of June, think I ate well in Spain but did drink every day hope not too,much damage has been done.

Will post tomorrow BG and weight. Fingers crossed.

You may be pleasantly surprised if you exercised a bit on holiday. Fingers crossed.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
14.2 *sigh*

What was your food like yesterday Susie, and did you have a snack attack again last night?

In the mornings, do you get up and test immediately, or toddle around a bit, and test before eating or drinking anything?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.0 for me today. I was quite surprised as I had an unexpectedly broken night last night. I was up 8 times, visiting the loo. On that basis, I also did a quick test, but nothing to report there. I have no idea why. I may have drunk a little more in the evening, but 8 times!?? yes, that'll be another of those "I don't understand" moments I just have to walk away from, provided it's isolated.

Today, I'm just pottering. I'm about to marinade some chicken for tonight's dinner. It's not a recipe I have done before, but I just fancy it. :) How did we survive without the BBC Food website?

I also have to nail down an issue with my new laptop; or more particularly may data import. This morning, I had a further 1600 emails download, which I wasn't expecting. I haven't investigated yet, but expect my import routine may have gone a bit wrong. I'm assuming they're all going to be pretty old, and so, in theory, I could just delete then all, but I have never deleted any emails from my OH. I mean, never. So, I have to do a bit of digging. I'd be upset if I deleted any in error. Soppy old girl, moi? You bet. :happy:

Have a great day playmates.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Well this has been a strange two days. After the 6.0 on Thursday morning I've had two days of eating on the road or eating out (Harrogate Thursday night, now in the cottage in Corbridge). So still being tired from work and travel it was 6.9 yesterday and 6.5 this morning - albeit still with a new tub of the suspect batch of strips. Pub dinner last night of olives and steak with salad, but there must have been flour in the pepper sauce and I was tempted by the gooseberry crumble - scraped as much crumble off as I could but there was obviously some added sugar in the gooseberries. So my +2 was 8.1, about the worst for two months. Could have been 7.6 adjusted though so not a real drama.

Good night sleep though, and the first for ages where I haven't had to get up and do some work at stupid o'clock. Hopefully things will get back to 'normal' over the next 2 weeks. We're off to Waitrose shortly to stock up on food basics, and we'll use the local greengrocers and farm shops as well when we can.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@sanguine That sounds like the first couple of days of my holiday after the horrendous journey down, but it settled down again. I made an executive decision to only test fasting, before evening meal and bedtime. At the very least it gave my poor fingers a rest! Have a lovely relaxing holiday, and try to fit in a day at Keilder. Great birds of prey centre there, plus the lake and forest.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What was your food like yesterday Susie, and did you have a snack attack again last night?

In the mornings, do you get up and test immediately, or toddle around a bit, and test before eating or drinking anything?

Food was good yesterday Andbreath.I was so yukky i wasn't hungry .I test first thing as soon as i come down .

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not trying to upset you in any way @Susiespearish, but if you are on the correct medication then I can't see how your present levels are down to anything else but your food consumption with maybe the odd liver dump thrown in. What and when did you eat/drink all yesterday? Maybe we can help you if you tell us.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm celebrating.:smug:

I've been eating lower carbs than ever before for about 6 months now. Down from approx 70-80g/day to approx 40-50g/day. That is both approximate and variable, but I have had far fewer 'bad days' than ever before. Mainly due to all you lovely and inspiring people!

Anyway, my pesky dawn phenomenon has been skittering around for all this 6 months. A couple of 5.8s, the rest usually 6.5-8.5 on a stressy day.

Well, for the last 2 weeks, I haven't had an on waking reading above 6.5.
And then it stays at that reading until I eat breakfast!

Brill eh?

It has just dropped. No diet or lifestyle change. It just changed over the course of a week.

And it only took 6 solid months of very very very low carb breakfasts and snaffling Brazil nuts or cheese strings on waking to achieve.

I'm so chuffed.
Now I just have to keep the <50g carbs up indefinitely. :happy:
I'll bet its gonna impact my a1c.

Reactions: 13 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I've been eating lower carbs than ever before for about 6 months now. Down from approx 70-80g/day to approx 40-50g/day. That is both approximate and variable, but I have had far fewer 'bad days' than ever before. Mainly due to all you lovely and inspiring people!

Anyway, my pesky dawn phenomenon has been skittering around for all this 6 months. A couple of 5.8s, the rest usually 6.5-8.5 on a stressy day.

Brill eh?

It has just dropped. No diet or lifestyle change. It just changed over the course of a week.

And it only took 6 solid months of very very very low carb breakfasts and snaffling Brazil nuts or cheese strings on waking to achieve.

I'm so chuffed.

Well done. X

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria Well done! Have you been losing more weight during this period? It could be your insulin resistance has suddenly improved. It happened to me virtually overnight - down to the 5's from the 6's for fasting and pre-lunch, and has stayed there. I now see some high 4's pre-lunch. The sudden drop coincided with 2 things - I stopped taking statins and I reached a 17% weight loss. Nothing else. No change in diet, exercise or routine. Just an occasional easily explained blip, but otherwise stable. I'm still waiting for another sudden consistent drop though!

Again, well done!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Brill eh?

I'm so chuffed.
A fantastic reward for your persistence :). You must be so relieved as well as chuffed!

I've had a similar experience in that I realised, whilst on holiday, that I can cope with more carbs now. I've been on max 50g for several months but now I can go to about 90g if I need to. Having said that, I can't include white bread.

I'm very pleased for you! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. :happy:

I don't think my insulin resistance has changed at all - I am losing weight (I think) at no more than a couple of pounds a month - which I still find a delightful and amazing achievement, considering my other health issues (PCOS and prolactinoma and medication, all of which cause insulin resistance). So even if I've lost 12 pounds (unlikely) it won't impact much...

As far as I can guess, it is my body very slowly adjusting to the experience that
  • Yes, there will be breakfast
  • No, you don't have to liver dump to cope with no breakfast
  • Yes, that breakfast will NOT involve carbs => insulin => highs, lows and BG stress and food cravings

I think I taught my body to dawn phenomenon by not eating breakfast, starting as a 12 yr old and continuing until my 30s. It must have decided that a liver dump was the only way to get round to mid afternoon when I would start eating.

Breaks my heart when I read about other people skipping breakfast!

And well done you, @peacetrain

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.2 this morning, lunch at work of ham, cheese and Apple only only 5.8 2hrs after! Came home at 6pm on 5.2 also

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to find that if I ate breakfast, that would be me off eating for England for rest of day. I suspect now it was the toast or bread bun as a good breakfast of bacon, mushrooms and an egg sees me through till about 3ish these days and even then I mostly only have a piece of cheese and a few berries or half a nectarine.
Whatever it is, keep it up. Xx

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to find that if I ate breakfast, that would be me off eating for England for rest of day. I suspect now it was the toast or bread bun as a good breakfast of bacon, mushrooms and an egg sees me through till about 3ish these days and even then I mostly only have a piece of cheese and a few berries or half a nectarine.
Whatever it is, keep it up. Xx
I'm the same same coldethyl-now I have breakfast every morning (lchf) I'm never hungry or craving!

Status
Not open for further replies.