Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

6.2 this morning. 6.1 last night.

If our blood glucose goes up after overnight fasting, why do they do the HbA1c test after 12+ hous fasting? wont it make it higher thn if they took it during the day?

At least, thats the way my hospital tests HbA1c, after a 12 hour fast. (Coventry University Hospital)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mine was 5.3 this morning.

I have never had a fasting HbA1c, although I think they do a regular test (similar to that from my meter) with the blood sample.

C

catherinecherub

lucylocket61 said:
6.2 this morning. 6.1 last night.

If our blood glucose goes up after overnight fasting, why do they do the HbA1c test after 12+ hous fasting? wont it make it higher thn if they took it during the day?

At least, thats the way my hospital tests HbA1c, after a 12 hour fast. (Coventry University Hospital)

An HBA1c test averages your blood sugars over the last 8 - 12 weeks so one fasting test on the day of the blood test is not going to make much difference.

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevent ... _hba1c.htm

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

BaliRob said:
Dear Glyn,

Why post this reading - are you asking for help as I see you have only recently joined us? When I was first diagnosed I was averaging 12 during the morning after breakfast now I am always c. 6.0 after every fast. You look to be a senior citizen so I implore you to get advice and sort out your diet because I dread to think just how high your readings are as you put your head on your pillow - my guess well over 20 which is an early reservation for the 'knackers yard'. I say this because IT IS possible to adjust to a new lifestyle. With best wishes, Rob

Just picking up and commenting on this.

Rob, you may have Glyn's welfare at heart but I cannot understand why you have singled out his post and asked why he is posting..to participate the same as everyone else on here maybe?
The comment about Knackers Yard is hardly going to be helpful is it but maybe some advice would be.

I can't test nowadays but good luck to all of you in double figures who are trying to get them down. You can count on support here to achieve that.

A

Anonymous

ditto

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.

BaliRob said:
Dear Glyn,

Why post this reading - are you asking for help as I see you have only recently joined us? When I was first diagnosed I was averaging 12 during the morning after breakfast now I am always c. 6.0 after every fast. You look to be a senior citizen so I implore you to get advice and sort out your diet because I dread to think just how high your readings are as you put your head on your pillow - my guess well over 20 which is an early reservation for the 'knackers yard'. I say this because IT IS possible to adjust to a new lifestyle. With best wishes, Rob

Also just to add a point......As I remember,Glyn is only in his 50's so he's FAR from being a 'Senior citizen' as you put it! 8)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ladybird64:

can I ask something? I notice you just started on Metormin. I have been prescribed it, 1 a day, but am too scared to use it because of all the side effects of nausea and tummy trouble. I have not been prescribed the slow release.

How have you got on with it please?

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming

Dear Ladybird and Paulie - Ladybird I did not single out Glyn; his was the only post (from the few that I read) that I saw with such a high reading and was frightened for him - it almost seemed like a boast - why did you not tell him just how serious matters were? As far as the reference to Knackers Yard is concerned - never have I known this expression to be taken so seriously. Constantly I see the 'Breakers Yard' referred to here as a footnote (look under Paulie's post) - what is the difference pray? I can see how much the post meant to you Paulie - your reading is even higher and I am sorry to see this for you. If Glyn IS in his 50's then his situation is worse because he has so much longer to endure the pain and suffering that can be caused by
elevated readings. This site is to encourage and support and to get members to really understand how at risk we are. In my view the Topic should have been worded differently asking what one should expect fasting readings to expect given different circumstances; instead it has become a competition which has obviously depressed those like Paulie and others. I have seen many people die from Diabetes - even my best friend who had excellent average readings who died, so the pm reads, from a "Quiet heart attack" - I ask you!! He had been a Type 2 for over 30 years!!

Paul1976

Dislikes

I don't think Glyn is trying to boast though-in fact quite the opposite.
He did say himself that it's far too high but he posted because the thread topic simply asks what your fasting blood sugar is and that's what we've all been doing,certainly not a competition!!
I know how serious complications can be,I'm only 36,slim(My user name is what people used to call me as a joke as I was so skinny) but so far I have suffered with crohns disease,psoriasis,bowel cancer which means I have a colostomy,pancreatitus and now I'm having to go and see an Endo because my GP thinks I'm Type 1 now because meds and low carbing-my readings have DOUBLED since diagnosis 3 months ago which worries me because I already have numb feet and burning legs and my kidneys leak protein so I don't need to be told high readings and Diabetes complications are dangerous,I'm VERY aware especially as my type 1 friend is only 30 but has lost a foot due to an ulcer and is registered blind. :(

glyn53

BaliRob said:
Dear Glyn,

Why post this reading - You look to be a senior citizen so I implore you to get advice and sort out your diet because I dread to think just how high your readings are as you put your head on your pillow - my guess well over 20 which is an early reservation for the 'knackers yard'. I say this because IT IS possible to adjust to a new lifestyle. With best wishes, Rob

Maybe I should order my coffin :thumbdown: I came for support and help to something which worry's me, this post was about your sugar readings . I've only recently been told I'm diabetic and I know I need to make adjustments to my diet etc. Just not sure what to change my diet too as it's all confusing. I thought plenty of fruit was good for you, but apparently not. Also thought all veg was good for you - but I see carrots (which are my favourite) are not the best - so confusing :?

By the way I'm 57 years old :roll:

Glyn

Paul1976

Dislikes

I didn't agree with his comment either Glyn! :thumbdown:
It's a big learning curve which I haven't sorted myself yet either despite a lot of effort.
It's all trial and error and if you don't see improvements with diet and meds then definitely keep badgering the Doctor as the medication might need adjusting or changing depending on how much insulin your pancreas is producing-Remember all of us are different with this condition and some people will do better quicker as their Diabetes might have been diagnosed at an early stage.
Don't order that coffin yet matey!! :wink:

Defren

5.8 today. Happy with that.

Defren

glyn53 said:
BaliRob said:
Dear Glyn,

Why post this reading - You look to be a senior citizen so I implore you to get advice and sort out your diet because I dread to think just how high your readings are as you put your head on your pillow - my guess well over 20 which is an early reservation for the 'knackers yard'. I say this because IT IS possible to adjust to a new lifestyle. With best wishes, Rob

Maybe I should order my coffin :thumbdown: I came for support and help to something which worry's me, this post was about your sugar readings . I've only recently been told I'm diabetic and I know I need to make adjustments to my diet etc. Just not sure what to change my diet too as it's all confusing. I thought plenty of fruit was good for you, but apparently not. Also thought all veg was good for you - but I see carrots (which are my favourite) are not the best - so confusing :?

By the way I'm 57 years old :roll:

Glyn

Glyn, don't let one comment/poster put you off. The people here are genuinely lovely folk who will help whatever the question. Stay and ask as many questions as you need, the support here is second to none.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

BaliRob said:
Dear Ladybird and Paulie - Ladybird I did not single out Glyn; his was the only post (from the few that I read) that I saw with such a high reading and was frightened for him - it almost seemed like a boast - why did you not tell him just how serious matters were? As far as the reference to Knackers Yard is concerned - never have I known this expression to be taken so seriously. Constantly I see the 'Breakers Yard' referred to here as a footnote (look under Paulie's post) - what is the difference pray? I can see how much the post meant to you Paulie - your reading is even higher and I am sorry to see this for you. If Glyn IS in his 50's then his situation is worse because he has so much longer to endure the pain and suffering that can be caused by
elevated readings. This site is to encourage and support and to get members to really understand how at risk we are. In my view the Topic should have been worded differently asking what one should expect fasting readings to expect given different circumstances; instead it has become a competition which has obviously depressed those like Paulie and others. I have seen many people die from Diabetes - even my best friend who had excellent average readings who died, so the pm reads, from a "Quiet heart attack" - I ask you!! He had been a Type 2 for over 30 years!!

Rob, I don't want to derail this thread but want to answer you.

Glyn's post was the only one you referred to, even though others had high readings. To me your post equated knackers yard with graveyard, if I have misunderstood that then I apologise.
He was not boasting and it is obvious he wasn't. Please do not lecture me on why I didn't tell him how serious it is..do you not think he already knows this, that it is the reason he is here?
The vast majority of us on here know it is a dangerous condition but what you have written is way out of line. Maybe you think that scaring the bejeezus out of somebody with your tales of pain and suffering = high figures is the way to go, personally I would prefer they stick around, read all the positive information on what they can do to change things and succeed that way. In all the posts on this thread (and maybe you should spend some time to actually read them all) yours is the first that I have seen that thinks it is a competition...er and I don't recall Paulie being so depressed by posting here?

People with high bg's that come here generally know something is wrong. I was lucky my BG's were never that high, my daughters were in the high teens and twenties for the best part of three years. She has other conditions as we can see that Paulie has, there can be other reasons that contribute to high readings and although we can do a lot to advise on lifestyle and dietary changes that can make a difference, if I had read what you had written it would have terrified me.

There are ways to encourage changes and that is for the rest of the forum, here is for those who want to keep a record of the morning BG-nothing wrong with that.

Glyn, have a look at the first post you did and the answered you received there, take your time and have a good read through. It's all excellent advice and don't get downhearted..knowledge is power.

Lucy-will pm you. :)

So on that note, I will bow out from this thread (cos I can't test any more! :( ) and leave it to those who can. :thumbup:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming

My comments have been well intentioned no matter what is said against me. Problem is that it is easy to 'cherry pick' from my posts and thereby have amunition to fire at me but the all embracing intent should have been clear and that was my worry and interest for Glyn. To prove my point that one only reads what one wants to see - I said that, "It almost seemed like a boast". Also I would not presume to lecture anyone but trying to emphasise that, rather than knock my comments, the energy should have been used to help Glyn and get him to see a doctor immediately to arrest such high readings.

A

Anonymous

Can we draw a line under this now guys/gals - this is a good thread..

6.5 this morning - my levels have been all over the place this weekend after falling in a vat of wine on Saturday night.

A

Anonymous

5.7 today.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

6.5 which is about average for me so far.

termlife

hi,
Type 2 diabetics fasting BG level should be around 70-110mg, can any one tell me best possible way to control sugar level with out medicine or insulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.