Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks cold ethyl.

The big boat took a hit in Hurricane Earl in 2010, in another location. That was a Category 4 hurricane, and even the YouTube videos still make me shudder. For that one, OH was actually on the boat, and had to get off at 01:00 as he felt sure she was going down. She didn't, but the damage was well into 5 figures, plus our rib was torn to shreds. The insurers were fine that time, but we had fun and games managing the quality of the craftsmen trying to bash out fast, as opposed to quality, work in the aftermath. It's all the hassle of having to Douglas Fir timbers from the Northern USA as it's the only place to source it in a suitable lengths, knot-free. It all takes time and everyone wants to cut corners.

It'll be fine, and lets face it, in the scheme of things it's a bump in the road. It's just that it's making out teeth rattle, today!
I do not know what I feel more?Sympathy for you for yesterday's storm damage or just plain envy for the Paradise you describe.

Hope all gets sorted soon.

Pavlos

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Can i please ask what type 1.5 is?

It's a shorthand for late onset T1, also known as LADA (can't remember what that all stands for atm!). Some T2s are rediagnosed T1.5.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am so irritated..

5.1 on going to bed at 11-20pm (monthly bedtime average 5.3 so normal range for me)
6.0 at 2-15am
6.0 on waking (monthly fasting average 5.5)

slept well but maybe it is stress over my oncology review this morning. If it is, why isn't it affecting my day time readings though? We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I'm doing the opposite at the moment - bed time 6.5 but 5.9 this morning, so slowly coming down again.

I don't know if you saw my post speculating on dreaming while you were on holiday, wondering if the liver responds to dreams and stress during the night, which of course we may not remember, or whether the liver can tell the difference between 'stressy' dreams and daytime reality? Whatever that is.

As @AndBreathe says, I bet you get back to 'normal' after your appointment.

Reactions: 2 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.3 this morning for me. I haven't tested for over a week as I ran out of testing strips when away and decided to cut myself a bit of slack and give my fingers a rest. I also relaxed a bit on my eating habits, having been mega strict with myself since commencing LCHF in March, and rarely deviating. While away, I did accept the odd slice of cake offered by friends and family and had toast for breakfast when I couldn't replenish my yoghurt and fruit supplies. I still cannot face a cooked breakfast!

Pleasantly surprised on my return to find my fasting bs haven't increased, nor has my weight. I also had my 3 month diabetic review this morning (another reason for relaxing a bit on holiday, knowing my blood tests had been done 3 weeks ago).

Hurrah! My HbA1c has dropped from 59 to 51, but my cholesterol is up slightly from 4.6 in July to 5.1 now. Also up are LDL at 2.6 and HDL up 1.77. Trigs are down to 1.6.

My lovely DN touched on the word statins and then withdrew it immediately she saw my look! She's not concerned about the slight increases because of the improved HbA1c and will review again in January. She didn't bother weighing me either as she could see when I walked in that I was still losing weight. I feel I'm losing inches rather than weight and my shape is noticeably more defined than when I've lost weight in the past. Its definitely a better look!

I asked about reducing metformin, but I was encouraged to stay on 4 a day as they apparently protect against cardio vascular disease. So - my new 3 month challenge is to try and reduce my fasting bs and also my cholesterol. I suspect I haven't got the HF ratios right as I have enjoyed rather a lot of cheese and cream in recent months.

Oh and ice-cream! Did I mention the locally made blackcurrant and liquorice ice-cream? Don't tell @AndBreathe - I actually had 3 in the two weeks I was away - but traded off the cornet for a single scoop in a tub :p. I seem to have got away with it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dianagrace Welcome back to the fold! Well done on your HbA1c, and for maintaining your fasting averages and weight after being away and having a few treats. You must be very pleased and I'm delighted for you. I wouldn't be worrying about your lipids. They aren't very raised, and it's only really the LDL that is over the limit by a touch. That ice-cream sounds delicious. I always have ice-creams on holiday but have swapped from a 99 to a tub, which doesn't seem to affect me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not know what I feel more?Sympathy for you for yesterday's storm damage or just plain envy for the Paradise you describe.

Hope all gets sorted soon.

Pavlos

Had we not found our big boat where we did, our potential European targets included Cyprus. We may have ended up neighbours.

I love Cyprus. I have a neighbour with a place in Chloraka, so Coral Bay and the surroundings are well known to us.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7.3 this morning for me. I haven't tested for over a week as I ran out of testing strips when away and decided to cut myself a bit of slack and give my fingers a rest. I also relaxed a bit on my eating habits, having been mega strict with myself since commencing LCHF in March, and rarely deviating. While away, I did accept the odd slice of cake offered by friends and family and had toast for breakfast when I couldn't replenish my yoghurt and fruit supplies. I still cannot face a cooked breakfast!

Pleasantly surprised on my return to find my fasting bs haven't increased, nor has my weight. I also had my 3 month diabetic review this morning (another reason for relaxing a bit on holiday, knowing my blood tests had been done 3 weeks ago).

Hurrah! My HbA1c has dropped from 59 to 51, but my cholesterol is up slightly from 4.6 in July to 5.1 now. Also up are LDL at 2.6 and HDL up 1.77. Trigs are down to 1.6.

My lovely DN touched on the word statins and then withdrew it immediately she saw my look! She's not concerned about the slight increases because of the improved HbA1c and will review again in January. She didn't bother weighing me either as she could see when I walked in that I was still losing weight. I feel I'm losing inches rather than weight and my shape is noticeably more defined than when I've lost weight in the past. Its definitely a better look!

I asked about reducing metformin, but I was encouraged to stay on 4 a day as they apparently protect against cardio vascular disease. So - my new 3 month challenge is to try and reduce my fasting bs and also my cholesterol. I suspect I haven't got the HF ratios right as I have enjoyed rather a lot of cheese and cream in recent months.

Oh and ice-cream! Did I mention the locally made blackcurrant and liquorice ice-cream? Don't tell @AndBreathe - I actually had 3 in the two weeks I was away - but traded off the cornet for a single scoop in a tub :p. I seem to have got away with it!

Naughty step now - 1 minute for every year of your age is how it goes, isn't it? ;)

Are you in love with the little one?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing the opposite at the moment - bed time 6.5 but 5.9 this morning, so slowly coming down again.

I don't know if you saw my post speculating on dreaming while you were on holiday, wondering if the liver responds to dreams and stress during the night, which of course we may not remember, or whether the liver can tell the difference between 'stressy' dreams and daytime reality? Whatever that is.

As @AndBreathe says, I bet you get back to 'normal' after your appointment.

I have also speculated on the effects of dreams on our levels during the night. It seems a distinct possibility in my case. Something causes a rise between going to sleep and about 2am and it's not disturbed sleep because I sleep like a log. I also wonder if it's because my bladder needs emptying at that time. It wakes me up, so maybe it wakes my liver up too. Oh well.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe So sorry to hear of your disaster in Paradise. I do hope you can get it sorted without too much trauma, and as you say, they are only "things" and can be mended. Thank goodness your OH was unhurt.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My appointment with my lovely oncologist went well. He says I am very well, with no obvious signs of anything sinister after a physical check, so I am a happy bunny. He doesn't want to see me again till next year.

One interesting thing, however. I did mention my GP's apoplexy when I refused statins, to which he replied that a Junior Aspirin a day will keep the blood flowing just as well as statins. As my BP and lipids are all normal that was my main worry in refusing them, so I'm off to the chemist for some this afternoon.

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My appointment with my lovely oncologist went well. He says I am very well, with no obvious signs of anything sinister after a physical check, so I am a happy bunny. He doesn't want to see me again till next year.

One interesting thing, however. I did mention my GP's apoplexy when I refused statins, to which he replied that a Junior Aspirin a day will keep the blood flowing just as well as statins. As my BP and lipids are all normal that was my main worry in refusing them, so I'm off to the chemist for some this afternoon.

yes that's true- my grandad takes a very low dose and so does my dad who had a bypass a few years back( though he is on a statin too)- the ones they get are coated so easier on stomach but they may be prescription only. It might be worth asking GP for a prescription - she might be willing if you say it was a consultant's suggestion?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yes that's true- my grandad takes a very low dose and so does my dad who had a bypass a few years back( though he is on a statin too)- the ones they get are coated so easier on stomach but they may be prescription only. It might be worth asking GP for a prescription - she might be willing if you say it was a consultant's suggestion?

Thanks Ethyl, I will ask for a prescription seeing as I don't pay for them. We always take aspirin before a flight as a precaution in case of DVT.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Great news Bluetit. Just be careful of aspirin, day-in-day-out, and keep a very close eye on all things lavatorial, as that can be the first sign your tummy is upset - as an old friend of ours found last year. All manner of tests, worry and panic, and eventually a transfusion.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news Bluetit. Just be careful of aspirin, day-in-day-out, and keep a very close eye on all things lavatorial, as that can be the first sign your tummy is upset - as an old friend of ours found last year. All manner of tests, worry and panic, and eventually a transfusion.

Thanks, yes I know about the potential problems with aspirin and I will be careful.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, yes I know about the potential problems with aspirin and I will be careful.
But, let's not overshadow your bigger, great news. I don't care how long it might be since the "big event", it must always be a nervous day. You'll be glad it's over.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure that a couple of readings of 6 are worth feeling low about?

They are hardly a disaster. Quite a few would love to have them.

I can understand wanting to keep a tight reign on your counts but not to the point of being upset by a couple of roque results. After all they are just data, feedback you need in order to improve your control further. Can you tell what caused these higher than normal results and can you avoid/limit this in the future. That is all you should consider in my opinion.

We are not machines and can not control all the variables that affect our glucose, stress, illness, female time of the month could all come into it.

What is more home glucose meters are only accurate within 15 per cent. With this margin of error your six point something could easily be a five point something in reality and vice versa. So you may be getting upset over nothing.

Look at the bigger picture. You appear to have excellent control and this does not change by a couple of results that fall outside your personal target range.

Take care

Pavlos
You are right
I should be happy
I think I got a little off track as the nurse said you can eat everything but portion controlled and my whole family went after me too to eat a bit more carbs and I'd say under pressure I did it and I was craving for rice too as I have had it for 2 and a half months and the meter got me back to earth so all well now. Still don't like what I did and why I took the decision but hey we all make mistakes and more important is to learn from them and move forward.

Just love this forum it must have saved so many people from NHS.

Reactions: 6 people

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
I may take DN advice and try forgazia. (Gapagliflozin)
Allie, did you try the snack one hour within going to sleep thing? It does help me x

Status
Not open for further replies.