Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree. I've looked into it well. I go naturally a bit low before my evening meal so it would be a trial snd error thing. I think my body just produces this big liver dump and as my readings come down it may just come into line. I'm never going to increase carbs again though. I feel too good on this lchf

Having said in one breath, perhaps ignore fasting levels for a few days, now I suggest something else.....

Have you ever tested in the early hours? Maybe 03:00 or 04:00 sort of time? I know your experiencing a socking great dump, but I'm wondering if you are actually rebounding from a low, low. I would love a CGM for a couple of weeks, but it's not going to happen. I am waiting, with interest, to see how the Abbott gizmo works. If it seems to work well, I might invest, with a view to a couple of sensors every couple of months.

Why do I love data so much? It's just not natural, for a gurlie! :meh:

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so irritated..

5.1 on going to bed at 11-20pm (monthly bedtime average 5.3 so normal range for me)
6.0 at 2-15am
6.0 on waking (monthly fasting average 5.5)

slept well but maybe it is stress over my oncology review this morning. If it is, why isn't it affecting my day time readings though? We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I bet it's underlying stress Bluetit, possibly making your sleep poorer quality? During the day, you may have decent coping mechanisms or distraction techniques that don't work during sleep?

But, your review is this morning, so hopefully you can re-align afterwards.

Good luck today. I can wholly appreciate how you might feel.

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so irritated..

5.1 on going to bed at 11-20pm (monthly bedtime average 5.3 so normal range for me)
6.0 at 2-15am

slept well but maybe it is stress over my oncology review this morning. If it is, why isn't it affecting my day time readings though? We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Good luck with the review. Fingers crossed...

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was going to suggest giving the fasting readings a bit of an ignoring for a few days, but I can understand why you might or not want to do that!

I think @kimbo1962 takes Gapagliflozin, and it certainly seems to be agreeing with her. It certainly is something to mull over, although I'd be interested to understand how it would impact on the much lower levels you are seeing during the day. If your 4.8 is driven significantly down by Gapagliflozin, how would that work? Would you come off/reduce Metformin or be "forced" to increase the carbs?

As I say, something to mull over, but if you decide to give it a go, you'd want to go to your appointment armed with lots of "what if" questions.

It's all a puzzle..
Yes I do take it and it's been brilliant for me !!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so irritated..

6.0 at 2-15am

Hope all goes well Bluetit- and that you get your regular mojo back when the stress eases up and more refreshing sleep returns

Reactions: 4 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well.....4.8 this morning ! Had gone to bed on 4.9. A week today will be my 3 month hbA1c.....then the results five days later......awaiting with interest of course!

Reactions: 8 people

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got my 3 month blood tests on the 20th, so I concurr with "awaiting with interest".........

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.6 for me this morning, so that’s just outside the upper edge of my personal range. I’m just going to have to accept that, as I did retest. I was slightly higher than normal going to bed last night so it was no surprise. I hadn’t been naughty, diabetes-wise, but I have encountered higher stress levels yesterday than I probably have, during my year as a diabetic. I’m generally pretty calm and pragmatic, but yesterday afternoon tested that!

Now is the final month of the hurricane season in Paradise, and yesterday a Tropical Storm, on its way to a Hurricane came to call on Planet Breathe, Tropics base. In short, we have sustained quite substantial damage, which my OH wasn’t fully able to evaluate yesterday when we spoke, as the weather was still dangerous. This far, I understand we have damage to two boats and our boat lift. It’s now just a case of how much and how reparable some of the damage is. One of the reasons we relocated – one part of Paradise to another was to be better placed to avoid this sort of weather. That worked out well then!! My OH just sounded shattered yesterday when I spoke with him, and needless to say, I felt pretty helpless.

It’ll all be fine in the end. “Things” can be repaired or replaced and nobody, as far as we know, has been physically injured, so there is much to be thankful for. I guess we’re into rounds of insurers, quotes, negotiations, project management, and greedy craftsmen, one way or another. I just hope our sailing boat will be fine. She’s such a beautiful girl and has looked after us so well, over thousands of nautical miles, and sometimes treacherous seas. She has woven us some wonderful memories I just can’t think might be at an end. I’m just hoping a storm, whilst at our dock wall isn’t her final hurrah.

Play nicely boys and girls. Some days are better than others, but we just have to roll with the punches.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6 for me this morning. Really poor night's sleep and then I didn't take it till after I'd drank my morning brew.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe sorry to hart about that. I know how you feel as a freak tornado hit our farm last November in Cumbria of all places and did lots of damage to the farm buildings and odd bits to our house. I hate to think of how much worse it could have been and what we would have done if it had hit the house as badly as buildings as it is a 17th century farmhouse and wouldn't ever have been the same. The whole insurance thing was very stressful as our insurers had made and error on policy when we had retired last year so at one point it looked like we'd only receive indemnity amounts on the personal buildings we'd retained separate from the farm business tenancy which is insured by our tenants. In end it was settled fully in our favour but no one seemed willing to make a decision or talk to one another in a logical fashion which I found very stressful. Can't imagine what my bloods would have been like as not then diagnosed but I bet it helped push them up. I hope it gets sorted quickly and that your OH is ok. Never easy when you are thousands of miles apart.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 before dinner
5.5 after dinner
5.5 fasting

I had my first a1c mid August, I have another letter from doc for a1c but I want to do it only after the three month period
Just feeling low generally as I saw 6 twice in same day but its back to 5 and 4 now
Least i saw was 4.3 on the weekend but my average coz of those few readings of 6 have gone up to 5.6 in last 7 days.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe sorry to hart about that. I know how you feel as a freak tornado hit our farm last November in Cumbria of all places and did lots of damage to the farm buildings and odd bits to our house. I hate to think of how much worse it could have been and what we would have done if it had hit the house as badly as buildings as it is a 17th century farmhouse and wouldn't ever have been the same. The whole insurance thing was very stressful as our insurers had made and error on policy when we had retired last year so at one point it looked like we'd only receive indemnity amounts on the personal buildings we'd retained separate from the farm business tenancy which is insured by our tenants. In end it was settled fully in our favour but no one seemed willing to make a decision or talk to one another in a logical fashion which I found very stressful. Can't imagine what my bloods would have been like as not then diagnosed but I bet it helped push them up. I hope it gets sorted quickly and that your OH is ok. Never easy when you are thousands of miles apart.

Thanks cold ethyl.

The big boat took a hit in Hurricane Earl in 2010, in another location. That was a Category 4 hurricane, and even the YouTube videos still make me shudder. For that one, OH was actually on the boat, and had to get off at 01:00 as he felt sure she was going down. She didn't, but the damage was well into 5 figures, plus our rib was torn to shreds. The insurers were fine that time, but we had fun and games managing the quality of the craftsmen trying to bash out fast, as opposed to quality, work in the aftermath. It's all the hassle of having to Douglas Fir timbers from the Northern USA as it's the only place to source it in a suitable lengths, knot-free. It all takes time and everyone wants to cut corners.

It'll be fine, and lets face it, in the scheme of things it's a bump in the road. It's just that it's making out teeth rattle, today!

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mines going silly. 10.5 this morning - 9.8 at bedtime. but again i woke up at 4am tossed and turned heard the wind howling and tried to get back to sleep.

Even my DN says the bloods are running away. maybe once i have the operations this week and next it will calm down.

Thursday morning should be lower (hopefully) , i cant have anything to eat after 8pm (i think) wednesday night - but usually have my tea about 6pm anyway, and can only drink a glass of water at 6am Thursday morning then at hospital for 7am.

So it might be a good experiment as well.

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
7.5 this am again i think sleepers contol it abit

alliebee

Ok I rang my Dn and now I have prescription for forgazia. 10 mg. Watch this space...hopefully it will start to support and build up on all the lchf work I've started with. My last Hba1c was 66 which obviously prompted me to start getting a grip. I was so pleased to come insulin a year ago. ( id lost 3 stone). But bad habits crept in and I realised that if I didn't pull in the reins I would be back there...so all in all I'm trying to do everything right now. This time it is for life...

Reactions: 6 people

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These are the NICE guidance targets used by the NHS

Non diabetic before meals 4 to 5.9, after 2 hours under 7.8
Type 2 before meals 4 to 7, after 2 hours under 8.5.

However, the general feeling is these targets are too generous so many of us aim for under 7.8 at any time after meals and under 6 before meals. Many others aim for less than that. Some people see a lot of 4's, but not many see 3's, and for some people under 4 can make them feel poorly.
Apparently, our lowest readings are normally before our main evening meal, and our morning fasting is the most stubborn one to control.

It is best to set your own targets, and not a wise idea to compare your readings with others. We are all at different stages of controlling this disease, we all have different metabolisms, and some have different types of medication whilst others have no meds at all.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.0 before dinner
5.5 after dinner
5.5 fasting

I had my first a1c mid August, I have another letter from doc for a1c but I want to do it only after the three month period
Just feeling low generally as I saw 6 twice in same day but its back to 5 and 4 now
Least i saw was 4.3 on the weekend but my average coz of those few readings of 6 have gone up to 5.6 in last 7 days.
Are you sure that a couple of readings of 6 are worth feeling low about?

They are hardly a disaster. Quite a few would love to have them.

I can understand wanting to keep a tight reign on your counts but not to the point of being upset by a couple of roque results. After all they are just data, feedback you need in order to improve your control further. Can you tell what caused these higher than normal results and can you avoid/limit this in the future. That is all you should consider in my opinion.

We are not machines and can not control all the variables that affect our glucose, stress, illness, female time of the month could all come into it.

What is more home glucose meters are only accurate within 15 per cent. With this margin of error your six point something could easily be a five point something in reality and vice versa. So you may be getting upset over nothing.

Look at the bigger picture. You appear to have excellent control and this does not change by a couple of results that fall outside your personal target range.

Take care

Pavlos

Reactions: 6 people

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks have jotted that down. I had read that if it went too low it was very dangerous and sugar was needed to bring it up. The lady who said she aimed for 3.5 confused me.
Can a type 2 have a hypo or only type 1?
I have to double my metformin to 4 (2000ml ) on friday . Just taking the 2 has been making me feel shakey and had blurred vision till i had eaten. Usually just before my main meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.