Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defren

Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

claymic said:
9.1 this morning...single figures!! yay...

I had full faith in you. Well done Clay xx

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)

Defren said:
You may have a meter free from the manufacturer, but I would lay odds you won't get strips or lancets on prescription.

Don't be too sure about that. I *have* been offered strips on prescription (one box a month) and am going to take them up on the offer, the next time I see the diabetic nurse and GP. I don't see lancets as an issue - if you use one per day, the cost is trivial.

Andrew

Defren

andrewk said:
Defren said:
You may have a meter free from the manufacturer, but I would lay odds you won't get strips or lancets on prescription.

Don't be too sure about that. I *have* been offered strips on prescription (one box a month) and am going to take them up on the offer, the next time I see the diabetic nurse and GP. I don't see lancets as an issue - if you use one per day, the cost is trivial.

Andrew

Good luck and well done if you do, the vast majority of T2's here can't get a thing on prescription.

Arthurk

A very happy 5.4 this morning. I decided to try and wean myself off the glic and yesterday was my first day without any at all. Just hope I can maintain it!!!

A

Anonymous

claymic said:
9.1 this morning...single figures!! yay...

How fantastic are you doing now. Brilliant!

A

Anonymous

Defren said:
andrewk said:
Errr ....... I was given one - by Abbott, completely free. As it happened, I already had an Abbott Freestyle Mini, which I used. On the Abbott website, you can download software (FOC) that makes it easier to monitor you BG levels. They will also supply you with a free lead to connect a Freestyle monitor to your PC. Two days after I downloaded the software, I got a phone call from someone at Abbott who said they were going to upgrade my monitor to a FreeStyle Lite - which I now use. It arrived in the post a few days later - again, completely free. I'm sure their action is not entirely (or even partly?) altruistic as they will make money on sale of strips for the lifetime of the monitor (they are typically £10 - £12 /box of 50 on Fleabay - but double that elsewhere).

If anyone lives near me (Oldham), they are welcome to have my old FreeStyle Mini. It still works fine

Andrew

Errr I said given by the Doctor or DSN. You may have a meter free from the manufacturer, but I would lay odds you won't get strips or lancets on prescription.

Didn`t you know I get mine on prescription as well? Not for much longer I bet. I have a feeling it will all stop in June.

I was 5.4 this morning. Happy with that after ny naughty ways the other night :oops:

C

chris lowe

This morning 6.2 but can vary between 4.8 and 7.2
Don't know why as I rarely eat anything after 8pm and if I am out, it's diet coke or fizzy water. Occasionally I will have a cappuchino but for some reason it hikes my readings up in the 8's

Defren

Jeannemum said:
Defren said:
andrewk said:
Errr ....... I was given one - by Abbott, completely free. As it happened, I already had an Abbott Freestyle Mini, which I used. On the Abbott website, you can download software (FOC) that makes it easier to monitor you BG levels. They will also supply you with a free lead to connect a Freestyle monitor to your PC. Two days after I downloaded the software, I got a phone call from someone at Abbott who said they were going to upgrade my monitor to a FreeStyle Lite - which I now use. It arrived in the post a few days later - again, completely free. I'm sure their action is not entirely (or even partly?) altruistic as they will make money on sale of strips for the lifetime of the monitor (they are typically £10 - £12 /box of 50 on Fleabay - but double that elsewhere).

If anyone lives near me (Oldham), they are welcome to have my old FreeStyle Mini. It still works fine

Andrew

Errr I said given by the Doctor or DSN. You may have a meter free from the manufacturer, but I would lay odds you won't get strips or lancets on prescription.

Didn`t you know I get mine on prescription as well? Not for much longer I bet. I have a feeling it will all stop in June.

I was 5.4 this morning. Happy with that after ny naughty ways the other night :oops:

No I didn't know, but you know that the vast majority of T2's here don't get them.

A

Anonymous

No I didn't know, but you know that the vast majority of T2's here don't get them.[/quote]

I know. I am very lucky. I have said I get them a few times. No one has put a limit on it, but I think a box a month is as far as I dare push it.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

i have to say i am very lucky re strips...i used to get 50 a month but after my yearly check i told them i am trying to sort it out and need to test more so now i had 100 stips.... i still have to buy another 100 for the month but as tesco says...every little helps!!!

A

Anonymous

I have been buying additional strips to go with my meter, but I bit the bullet and bought an SD codefree today. It was cheaper to do that with an extra 50 tests than buy another box of freestyle lite strips.

James131036

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Defran

Many Thanks for that reply.

Any reccomendations for meters

James

Defren

James131036 said:
Hi Defran

Many Thanks for that reply.

Any reccomendations for meters

James

Myself and many others here use the SD codefree meter. It's just a meter, no bells and whistles but does the job. The strips range in price from £4.99 per 50 to £6.99, much, much cheaper than any other strips on the market. I got mine from Amazon, others from Ebay. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

oh the horror! I dropped my basal significantly last night as I have to get a whole pile of bloods done this morning including the HbA1c. Now I was aiming for above 6 and I get up and test and it's 4.8 :shock: I've got another hour or so before I can get tested and I know I need to drink water but too scared too. I've just decided to have some juice and then try the water. lol. Anyone else got any tips when this happens? I should clarify that once I'm in the 4's I can drop real quick and at high risk of hypo... that's why my endo told me on Monday to lower my basal again. But last night I dropped my basal a further 5 units and wasn't expecting a low BGL this morning. :x I hope they don't tell me off for having the juice.... have to insist they do my bloods before anyone else this morning.

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

14.4, dammit! :x
19g total carbs yesterday.
Maybe slight protein overdose with half a roast chicken for tea? :(

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

It's still lower than the 17 you had the other day Steve.

I was 5 this morning which was a nice surprise as I overslept.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

5.4 today. Where have all my lovely 4's gone!

Defren

There is not a single person now could convince me the Newcastle Diet doesn't work. I was so excited getting fives as they were very rare for my FBG. Today was 4.9. I am so thrilled, well thrilled doesn't touch how I feel today.

Defren

stevolution said:
14.4, dammit! :x
19g total carbs yesterday.
Maybe slight protein overdose with half a roast chicken for tea? :(

Protein in good, that won't effect your reading. It will come down. Try drinking lots of water, that might help, and continue to keep the carbs tight. Well done so far. Don't be disheartened it will get better.

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks Defren. Just got a pre-prandial 8.6 so I'm a bit chirpier now! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.