1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by simply_h, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimbo1962

kimbo1962 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

5.7 this morning - after a very unusual 6 pre-handwash!! I should have resisted wasting a strip before washing my hands I know! 5.7 ok though, I had 2 Squares of 70% at bedtime instead of 1 by way of a treat!! Bed time was 5.7 too so not too shabby in all I guess!
    Oh, and 2 hrs after breakfast I'm 5.9 so all in range for me!

• Like Like x 17
  2. kimbo1962

kimbo1962 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Loving my exercise bike John! I aim for a good half hour session, usually afternoon at the moment then often a 15 min post dinner session- i blast my music out and off I go!!

• Like Like x 11
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

5.5 at bedtime at 11-45pm
    5.6 at bathroom visit at 4-45pm
    6.0 this morning at 10-15am after long lie in.

• Like Like x 11
  4. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

going great without the meds @kimbo1962 :playful:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Moniker

Moniker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

5.9 today

• Like Like x 11
  6. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Quick report from Cote d'Ivoire - erratic meals over the last two days, Air France only had one meal option on the plane (pasta - on an A380 only about 20% full!) which I didn't eat, by the time I got to the hotel I was starving and had some french bread and lashings of butter while waiting for my (very nice) salad and fillet of sole stuffed with veg. I don't know what my preprandial was but my +2 was 5.5 so the bread can't have been that bad. Next morning (yesterday) at 5:30 am prior to travelling up country I was 5.0, a joint record low.

Camp food is a bit lacking in veg at the moment. Lunch yesterday was a baguette with tuna and tomato, I just had the filling and a mouthful of baguette, dinner was either chicken or pork with either chips or rice. I had the chicken and some chips as the least bad option, just had a few of them, but spiked from 5.1 to 7.2 as a result.

But this morning at 6:30 I was back to 5.1.

Fortunately I have my emergency supply of brazil nuts and there are lots of peanuts available here so I'm not going to starve! Nice tomato and onion omelette for breakfast though.

These early morning fastings make me think I'm typically going quite low overnight but with a slight LD before testing at my usual more civilised hour, though still recording slightly below the previous night's +2 ...

• Like Like x 18
  7. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

I vaguely recall seeing Margaret Thatcher doing some cookery on tv and making French Bread - she "washed the dough" to release all the starches which was what gave it it's texture. Will check my GI/GL counter later and see if its ok for you

• Like Like x 6
  8. Bluetit1802

Very good readings Rod. Even the 7.2 was within an acceptable range. Don't work too hard. ;)

• Like Like x 8
  9. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 17
  10. Susikav

Susikav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Really? :eek:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Wow surreal! Sure it wasn't ***** Cradock? :hilarious:

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

REALLY.... did a quick Google but not brought anything up in the first 50 results .... I think she did it for a children's science program

I've checked and the french bread is either High GI and M GL or M for both - M being medium of course. What surprises me Granary is supposed to be Low - I'm sure its got to be a typo - but it says it for all 3 ie bread/rolls/baps

• Like Like x 2
  13. Adelle0607

Adelle0607 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4.7 today which perfectly matched with my serum fasting levels (I took them at the same time). Pretty good job freestyle freedom lite! Spot on! Hba1c at 34 :) yay x

Have a good day! :)

• Like Like x 20
  14. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

[​IMG]Margaret Thatcher as research scientist. A publicity photograph taken for the 1951 election campaign.
    Still not found what I was looking for but it was defo on a kids science program - and I've sorta confirmed it to myself about the science bit.....
    Never a fan of the Iron Lady in politics but it was interesting to see her applying science to the bread making.....

• Like Like x 6
  15. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I know it's a decent fasting score, but once we stabilise things, we each tend to operate within personal parameters, and that's outside of mine - 3.5 - 4.5. It's not the end of the world, but I'm usually pretty steady.

No matter. Things will be clearer in a few days.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Bluetit1802

Well she did Chemistry at Oxford, and from a profile programme about her eons ago, she did a lot of cooking. So I believe you!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Mandingo

Mandingo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Exercise a great and powerful tool in this fight against elevated Blood Sugar levels.

My two best friend in this war, Accu-Chek Aviva and the ability to still do a wide range of exercises.

• Like Like x 11
  18. Susikav

My goodness... you're more of a ferret than I am, I reckon... :) How cool is that? :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Susikav

Absolutely... :)

• Like Like x 7
  20. Susikav

Well done you... :)

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook