Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet and exercise only. Absolutely no medication. No supplements. No special herbs. No tonics.

That said, I am currently in a very happy, stress-free place in my life, which undoubtedly helps. We live in a tropical climate. I swim in the Caribbean every day. We ride our bikes, sail, and generally enjoy ourselves. I'm going to be interested to see how things evolve when I'm back in UK in the autumn, for a few months. I have to do some business whilst back, and that'll involve stress, no doubt.

Generally, though, I am incredibly stubborn, which, make no mistake can be as destructive as it can be positive. My OH tells me he has never seen me so determined as I have been in dealing with this issue, and trust me, he's known me through some difficult times. I was diagnosed 3 weeks before coming on this big trip, and just decided to take it by the throat and give it a decent old shake.

To be honest, whilst I have put in the hard yards, I have to have been very lucky to have caught this at a time when I could make a positive impact. When I see the effort some people make, I'm humbled.

Whilst my numbers are great, and my averages have shaved a little more since my last HbA1c, at the beginning of May, I must be having some higher numbers that I'm not seeing, or how could my A1c be 5.3%? I'll stick with it, though. Life could be so much worse than I have it.
i just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your posts. You have a turn of phrase and way with words that I appreciate.

5.3% ? Is that 35? That was my Hba1c in May. How strange!

I've given up trying to fathom this mischievous diabetes imp...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Rory lad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3.9 this morning.

Have been away again for a few days and ate well and consistently kept numbers in my range, high 3s to low 4s pre and post prandial.

Except for - dined with friends who provided delicious steak and salad main course - no problems there. However when a small individual home baked apple pie and cream was offered for dessert I thought, WTH, I'm going to have it! Big Mistake. One hour pp 8.6, two hour pp 7.9 - and so on. BG continued to fall over the ensuing hours however by next morning my fasting number was 5.1. It wasn't until the following day that my numbers steadied again.

Just confirms, once a diabetic always a diabetic.

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your posts. You have a turn of phrase and way with words that I appreciate.

5.3% ? Is that 35? That was my Hba1c in May. How strange!

I've given up trying to fathom this mischievous diabetes imp...

34, so 5.3% is to the nearest 0.1%.

Pedants are us. :angelic:

And thank you for your kind words.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3.9 this morning.

Have been away again for a few days and ate well and consistently kept numbers in my range, high 3s to low 4s pre and post prandial.

Except for - dined with friends who provided delicious steak and salad main course - no problems there. However when a small individual home baked apple pie and cream was offered for dessert I thought, WTH, I'm going to have it! Big Mistake. One hour pp 8.6, two hour pp 7.9 - and so on. BG continued to fall over the ensuing hours however by next morning my fasting number was 5.1. It wasn't until the following day that my numbers steadied again.

That was a blow, Rory. Although I have had additional carbs in recent times, I haven't had any desserts since diagnosis. Not one. I'm away for a few days later this week, and there's a boulangerie with a chocolate eclair with my name on it....... Whether I will or not, who knows.

As an aside, every time I see you A1c at 4.4 my mouth just sags open. What does that equate to, if my 5.3% is 34? I can't imagine ever trimming another 20% off my score.

Rory lad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe I'm thinking it must equate to 25?

Keep in mind I'm about 10 months ahead of you in controlling my D so if you continue as you are you will most likely see a number below 5.

However, I believe that your current numbers are what most Ds aspire to achieve so even if there's no further reduction in your A1c you are ensuring that you will not have any D complications in the future.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.2 this morning :) on metformin 500x2 still getting used to the lchf diet--- it is very hard and brekky today I cheated and ate 2 toasts w jam... couldn't help myself. Now on the treadmill to keep sugars down :)

Reactions: 5 people

Khanh Nam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No problem. Mine 6.8 fasting. 2 h before lunch 7.1, hbA1c 7.1. After taking low carb diet for 5 days it was 6.4. If I continue low carb, surely my BG will go down. Please try!

Khanh Nam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed Type 2 on 3 July 2014. Taking low carb until this morning it went down to 6.4(normal?). I'll stick to low carb.

Reactions: 4 people

Khanh Nam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing on 3July 2014. BG 6.8, HbAc1 7.1. Diagnosed Type 2. Starting low carb diet after 5 days. Morning of 8 July BG fasting 6.4.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Went to bed at 6.8 woke up at six am at 6.4 ... yesterday was my first day on the LCHF thingy!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3.9 this morning.

But those numbers are in the normal range so nothing to really worry about - just don't do it every day :)

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No problem. Mine 6.8 fasting. 2 h before lunch 7.1, hbA1c 7.1. After taking low carb diet for 5 days it was 6.4. If I continue low carb, surely my BG will go down. Please try!

Mine took a while and only when I started on 20g carbs did I really see a good drop. Hang in there - it will happen and don't forget about exercise x

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I have a feeling six is about right for me ... is that possible?
When I get to five I know it ... four and I'm not functioning.
6.4 and feeling just fine right now.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Thanks I'll take a look and let you know how I get on.

Yesterday I fried a load of veg in butter and olive oil chucked some bacon in and topped it with cheese ... full of garlic and ginger and chillies and stuff and it was a perfectly acceptable meal and quite morish.
The bacon was cheap and full of water and I suspect that contained sugars.
Normally only have good quality bacon so how that sneaked in I don't know.
When meat has added water ... you can't just syringe water in and expect it to stay in so ... chemicals have to be injected in there too.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you retest Diana? Could just be an outlier reading, or even a spot of contamination on your finger (not that I'm casting aspersions on your digital hygiene!).

5.5 this morning, but that was at 4 am before going to the airport.

No I didn't retest, silly me! I've just accepted that at present, they have risen higher than I would like. Unsure if it stress or the heat. This morning was an improvement on recent readings at 7.3 but still way too high. I've never had a reading below 6 but it is my goal. Yours are inspiring me!

Status
Not open for further replies.