1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 3c - how many are we?

Discussion in 'Type 3c (Pancreatic) Diabetes' started by mrspuddleduck, Nov 26, 2015.

1. skoz

skoz · Newbie

I'm a new member. My story is almost identical to yours, including the 7 months in hospital, codes and complications. I'm incredibly lucky to be alive. I have found the lack of information, education and understanding incredibly frustrating. I'm on Basalgar, Fiasp and Cotazym amongst a raft of other meds. I'd love to connect with others of a similar experience.

2. skoz

skoz · Newbie

I have been using the Freestyle Libre sensor for almost 2 yrs.This is an amazing product! I was having to strip test more than 8 times a day previously. Now I know my glucose on demand. I have paired it with the DiabetesM app and scan the sensor with my phone. I couldn't be happier with this app. It has made an incredible difference in my control.

3. skoz

skoz · Newbie

I'm a type 3c due to Acute Necrotizing Pancreatitis. I have been left with virtually no pancreas plus a lot of other organ damage. Among a host of other meds, I was initially prescribed Metformin. I found that it resulted in horrible diarrhea. I have since stopped using it. I question the logic of prescribing it, since my understanding is that I process insulin normally, I just dont have a pancreas to produce any. Does anyone have similar experiences with Metformin or Glicozide?
    I also struggle with weight gain since constant fatigue makes exercise difficult. My glucose also drops extremely quickly upon exertion. Anyone else have the same problem and/or strategies to help?

4. Civilised Devil

Civilised Devil · Member

Hi skoz sort of similar chronic pancreatitis type 3c diabetes 3months in hospital lost 5 stone in weight. Real problems putting on weight started to graze constantly nuts, low carb and low/ no sugar snacks made some myself recipes on line hunt them out. Don't exercise, wait till things settle down and only then light exercise eg walking only after 5 months did I start to do things around the house and most importantly stop when you start to feel weak/tired and please give your self time in October it will be a year for me and I'm not even 50% now. Look after yourself and take it easy a sedatary lifestyle is now the way of life.

5. armstrongfj

armstrongfj Type 3c · Newbie

Hi, type 3c since about a year after distal pancreactomy with en bloc splenectomy,
    Pre lockdown I was around 7ish mmol/l, now its closer to 10. I managed to get a consultation outside of my authority (my authority they kept cancelling due to lack of specialty asistance). So heading toward insulin. in September/October when an appointment comes available.

Regards,
    Francis,.

6. JAEC1954

JAEC1954 Type 2 · Newbie

I am guessing I am type 3c although I have not been told. 9 years ago I was diagnosed with type diabetes then 3 years ago chronic pancreatitis was diagnosed, and px croon which I cannot do without. My bs were fairly ok below 10 after food and following a healthy diet. Now my bs levels are high 14-15 first thing in the morning and 18-20 at bedtime, taking 4x 80 mgs of gliclazide a day. Not able to tolerate metformin any more. So fed up

7. Awmaines

Awmaines · Newbie

From my personal experience, because the pancreas is compromised and gliclazide works by stimulating the pancreas, gliclazide did little to control my blood sugars. Quadrupling the dose made no difference to my blood sugars and I ended up on insulin.

8. T3cCindy

T3cCindy · Newbie

9. T3cCindy

T3cCindy · Newbie

I would also like to add that most of us (especially those who no longer have a pancreas) do not have glycogen to stop the insulin from dropping, which is what is responsible for the unpredictability of our lows, resulting in the hypoglycemia. An additional factor is that most of us do not have pancreatic digestive enzymes either, which unless we are taking digestive enzymes properly, our food is not leaving the stomach in a timely fashion, which affects the proper dosing of our insulin needs.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook