Type Unknown?

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings, I'm new here, and I hope I can learn how to treat diabetes with your help. I've been diagnosed last week but I still don't know if Type 1 or 2. Hopefully Type 2 since I prefer Metformin, but my doctor say is that I am probably type 1 since I am just 32 y old and not fat. In the meantime I have been on a low-carb diet and my values are between 85-150 sometimes 180. My question is : since I have reached quite normal values with diet, why should I be insuline addicted?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you mean insulin DEPENDENT rather than "Addicted?"

Unfortunately, your story sounds very familiar to mine. Last year, I was diagnosed with diabetes and didn't know which type. 27 years old and no overweight. At first, I was able to regulate things on a low-carb diet and avoid being on insulin at all. However, after several months, my insulin producing continued to reduce and I started having to give myself small injections.

Type 1 is an autoimmune disease where your body kills off your pancreas' insulin-producing cells. That autoimmune attack could take only a few days, or it could take years before you become insulin dependent.

Either way, I'd wait to get a correct diagnosis before getting too far ahead of yourself.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I meant dependent of course, my English is just a bit rusted...
I'm hoping for Type 2, but thank you for the explanation, at least I know now. Are there any other tests that I can do on my own. I would like a hint, waiting is so frustrating :-(

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm hoping for Type 2, but thank you for the explanation, at least I know now. Are there any other tests that I can do on my own. I would like a hint, waiting is so frustrating :-(
Unfortunately, no. Even in the hands of experts people are often misdiagnosed so there's very little you can do on your own.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Greetings, I'm new here, and I hope I can learn how to treat diabetes with your help. I've been diagnosed last week but I still don't know if Type 1 or 2. Hopefully Type 2 since I prefer Metformin, but my doctor say is that I am probably type 1 since I am just 32 y old and not fat. In the meantime I have been on a low-carb diet and my values are between 85-150 sometimes 180. My question is : since I have reached quite normal values with diet, why should I be insuline addicted?
Welcome to the forum. It is a great place to learn about Diabetes and has been a fantastic resource for me. Sorry about your frustration but when you have the full diagnosis post back on here and you will get heaps of support and can ask for any help that you need
Cheers

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Not sure about test you can do on your own. But tests you may want the speak to your doctor about include:
- GAD test - this is a test to see if you have antibodies associated with type 1. If it is positive you are type 1. However, a negative result doesn't mean you are not type 1
- c-peptide test - this is a test to see if you are producing any of your own insulin

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor is actually doing an Antibodies test, probably the GAD you are talking about.
I'll ask about c-peptide. He said anyway that my blood sugar is going down, sometimes even by not moving, so probably my pancreas still works a bit. Can sugar be sinked without insuline?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

Hopefully the tests will give you more information so that you know what to expect.

Sometimes T1 is slow to get going, due to genetic factors. It can be called
LADA, MODY, type 1.5.

You may find it interesting to read the sections of the forum that talk about these. Sometimes people have managed to control their blood sugar for a long time by diet.

Until you get a proper diagnosis, the more info you get, the better! :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I agree with the others that Late onset T1 (LADA) is very likely - sorry. Mine came on over several years so if it is LADA you may not go onto insulin for quite a while as tablets or even just diet can manage it. Insulin is a nuisance but not really a problem anyway.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You were right people, I'm type 1. From tomorrow on I will have to use insulin by every meal. I'm sad, frustrated. It's hard, I have to change my whole life :(