type1.5

jackie4617

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all ive bin type1 4 38yrs but didnt no there was type1.5/LADA xplain plz thnk u

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is an assumption that T1 where the islet cells fail to produce enough insulin only occurs in early childhood. It has become clearer recently that this just isn't true. Around 20% of those diagnosed as T2 don't have the classic symptoms. These 20% aren't overweight etc. The two tests for Late onset T1 (LADA) are used more frequently now. The GAD test shows up anti-bodies in the pancreas and the c-peptide shows up low insulin. LADA can come on at greatly varying speeds. My nephew was hospitalised as age 22 with DKA which came out of the blue and now on insulin. I was 'diagnosed' as T2 at age 60 despite never having been overweight and having suddenly lost weight (a classic LADA symptom). I struggled with tablets and low-carb for many years due to the GPs lack of knowledge but thankfully now on insulin. Diabetes UK doesn't help matters by virtually never mentioning LADA; they still live in the dark ages of simple T1 and T2. BTW islet cells damage can be caused by various anti-bodies as well as viruses and pancreatitis.

Reactions: 9 people