Type1insulin + Metformin?

Sallyw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Saw a diabetic consultant today who said my management was very good after 67 years with Type 1. However, I am obese and he has prescribed Metformin as well as my regular Novorapid and Levemir, I think to help me lose weight and reduce the high doses of insulin that I require.

Anyone got any comments about this please?

Rachox

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can’t comment on insulin or type 1 diabetes, but when initially diagnosed type 2, 7 years ago I was started on Metformin. I was prescribed one 500mg tablet week one, two tablets week 2 then up to three tablets week 3. I took that dose for 6 years and apart from a bit of gastric upset for the first ten days or so I tolerated it well. It did suppress my appetite a little and I did lose a shed load of weight. However I really think my weight loss was mainly due to dietary changes. Long story short this time last year after a few difficult years I had put some weight back on. So I swapped to a GLP1 med which has enabled me to lose that weight. If the Metformin doesn’t work for you it might be worth asking about GLP1s, although I don’t know if they are suitable for type 1s.

Reactions: Melgar

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Hi @Sallyw

Metformin is supposed to help with insulin resistance and also possibly with the dawn phenomena?

I know it is given to some T1s for those reasons. (I was on a double blind trial for it and T1s a few years ago but suspect strongly that I was taking a placebo.).

Reactions: Melgar

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My dad has both and has been much better with metformin

If it’s the weight loss aspect I would have thought a glp would be better