Type2. How Agressively Do You Exercise? www.FixingDad.com

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the sons from FixingDad spoke at the PHCUK conference this year. Actually the Dad did the intro, and the son gave the talk.

From memory, the son mentioned how they floundered and struggled with the diet side of Fixing Dad - with v little help or guidance, but eventually they drifted lower carb, since that seemed to help.

The son specifically stated that he wished he had come across PHCUK and low carbing before they had done the Fixing, because it would have been easier.

There is a video of the talk posted on this forum on the PHCUK conference thread.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to use a recumbent bike at the gym, but switched to a normal style machine, simply to exercise more joints.
It's surprising how they do free up if you persevere at it.
But I am focusing on legs and stamina at the moment, and want to do a few tough runs next year.

@douglas99

I have a stationary Schwinn Airdyne (which is similar to a stationary recumbent bike) and I should sell it but, on the odd occasion that I might use it I keep it around. I prefer the changing view of an actual bike ride in the fresh air. I've seen recumbent road bikes and they are very fast, but I wonder does one get less of a workout on one or does it just give you the ability to go further? I'm toying with the idea of long ride like the Lewis & Clark trail across America or the Camino from Paris to North West Spain.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I walk for 10 to 15 minutes after lunch. In the summer I mow the lawn (1 acre) with a push mower and trim the bushes and trees. We swim about once a week. I am a caregiver for a family member 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. She can not be left alone but is quite physically active and fit for her entire life. It is not much but it really helps me in attitude for the most part. More exercise is not possible with caregiving responsibilities and limitations due to lifelong joint issues.
My BG is down to target range now after 3 months of lower carbs and adding the walk after lunch. I am still on insulin and metformin although I am taking 3x 500 metformin rather than the 4x before reducing carbs. I do not expect a reversal but would like to reduce my medication a little further.

I am thinking of buying a stationary bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@douglas99

I have a stationary Schwinn Airdyne (which is similar to a stationary recumbent bike) and I should sell it but, on the odd occasion that I might use it I keep it around. I prefer the changing view of an actual bike ride in the fresh air. I've seen recumbent road bikes and they are very fast, but I wonder does one get less of a workout on one or does it just give you the ability to go further? I'm toying with the idea of long ride like the Lewis & Clark trail across America or the Camino from Paris to North West Spain.

Based solely on using both machines at the gym, I get less of a workout on the recumbent machines, use less calories, finding them a lot easier to pedal, so I would say you could definately cycle longer and go further.
I've never used one on the road though, so I'll temper that by saying I would probably have to get used to the balance, and the lower seating position, so possibly a more restricted view, and also I would be slightly harder to be seen, being lower.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I walk for 10 to 15 minutes after lunch. In the summer I mow the lawn (1 acre) with a push mower and trim the bushes and trees. We swim about once a week. I am a caregiver for a family member 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. She can not be left alone but is quite physically active and fit for her entire life. It is not much but it really helps me in attitude for the most part. More exercise is not possible with caregiving responsibilities and limitations due to lifelong joint issues.
My BG is down to target range now after 3 months of lower carbs and adding the walk after lunch. I am still on insulin and metformin although I am taking 3x 500 metformin rather than the 4x before reducing carbs. I do not expect a reversal but would like to reduce my medication a little further.

I am thinking of buying a stationary bike.

@SWUSA

If you live in SW USA then maybe some outdoor fun of "The Recumbent Grin" may help. That's why I cycle outdoors. More to inspire me to get out and go further and harder.. If you get a chance have a read up on Dr Fung's website :-
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/

its some good reading. As for mowing a 1 acre lawn with a push mower I've got the 20" McLane to mow our tiny patch.. I got fed up pushing the Scott's push mower.. 1 Acre is massive to mow with a push mower, no matter how sharp the blades are..

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As @Brunneria has already mentionned, I find that any type of strenous activity does not suit my adrenal glands at all. My body gets stressed and keeps my BGs and weight up. A T1 on this forum @RuthW was the first person to suggest to me that this might be the case and that perhaps I was exercising too hard for me personally. Thank you Ruth. :)

I used to believe that the fewer calories I consumed and the more vigorous the exercise, the better it would be for me. This was so wrong in my case. I find that eating more calories stops me going into starvation mode and exercising gently is much more preferable to exercising hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWUSA_

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Based solely on using both machines at the gym, I get less of a workout on the recumbent machines, use less calories, finding them a lot easier to pedal, so I would say you could definitely cycle longer and go further.
I've never used one on the road though, so I'll temper that by saying I would probably have to get used to the balance, and the lower seating position, so possibly a more restricted view, and also I would be slightly harder to be seen, being lower.

Its funny you mention the "More restricted view" because that isn't usually the case. You're more up right and you'll actually see more. Hunched over a double triangle frame of a conventional road bike build (with dropped handlebars) is actually harder to ride and one has less view of the road. My neck hurts on one and my bottom gets sore after 20 miles on a regular road bike. The recumbents are different to ride but not much. It can depend on the geometry and size of front and back wheels.

Last edited:

cusally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Crowds, noisy places
I was diagnosed T2 in August 2016, I bought a fitbit and set myself to 12,000 steps per day or 8.5km per day. Most days i manage it, and the difference in my circulation is incredible, as there is a rush of warmth to my feet when i get to that magic 60 minutes of exercise. Now its dismal and dark after 4pm, I am trying to get at least half the steps in before midday. I do it by brisk walking, even round a car park wherever i happen to be, or if really bad weather, round my dining table !
I am a bit worried that I am getting obsessed, but I do have a fear of foot and eye problems, and am determined to get more exercise as well as lose weight. My BMI has dropped from 31.5 to 29 but this cold dark weather along with xmas party season means I am aiming to stay at this weight for now and start losing again in January
On the plus side, I am discovering some lovely walks as the weekends are when I force my hubby to go for a nice walk with me !

17/08/2016 Ha1c 12.80% HbA1c 116 mmol Plasma Glucose 15.7 mmol Cholesterol 7.36 Weight 93kg
29/11/2016 Ha1c 5.90% HbA1c 41 mmol Plasma Glucose 5.8 mmol Cholesterol 5.38 weight 82kg

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@SWUSA

If you live in SW USA then maybe some outdoor fun of "The Recumbent Grin" may help. That's why I cycle outdoors. More to inspire me to get out and go further and harder.. If you get a chance have a read up on Dr Fung's website :-
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/

its some good reading. As for mowing a 1 acre lawn with a push mower I've got the 20" McLane to mow our tiny patch.. I got fed up pushing the Scott's push mower.. 1 Acre is massive to mow with a push mower, no matter how sharp the blades are..
Yes but I have to deal with my care responsibilities at the same time-I can keep an eye on mom while I go in circles with the push mower and stop on a dime when she gets in front of it. I also enjoy the physical activity outside. I could not bicycle outside with her-she never really mastered bike riding and with her dementia she is even a danger walking outside unless I can pull her back out of the street when cars are coming-she does not remember road rules. I used to bicycle before I became her caregiver-I even managed a few rides when I had her enrolled in an Alzheimer's Day Program while I was finishing my master's degree. We have moved back to her hometown and I have not been able to find a caregiver who can safely care for her while I am gone.There are no respite programs operating here now. My blood sugar was under control with just diet and exercise before I had to begin caring for her (for over 50 years)-it spun out twice now with her. She has fallen twice while we were walking on unfamiliar uneven ground-once she was okay and once she had broken bones- after the fall with broken bones I only walk for exercise with her in the gym or other flat, even surface.She is agile but has vision and cognitive problems. I have thought about getting a bike with sidecar but I do not think she would ride in it at this stage. She opens the car door while we are in motion sometimes and routinely unbuckles her seat belt and tries to get out of the car while we are driving. I have gouty arthritis which was diagnosed when I was two years old. I am not supposed to lift weights, use the treadmill or anything that puts additional stress on my joints. Bicycling and swimming are my only orthopedist approved exercise activities. I garden because we both love it but stop when I feel any pain as I am supposed to. Probably more than you wanted to know but I think I am not the only caregiver with this problem. I have no interest in fasting because it sets off gout attacks for me.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Weights, walking and low carb diet. It depends on time of year, currently into summer. So, it's weights and walking. Walking is a one hour thing done with the dog. He's a Jack Russell, so my goal is to walk at his pace, which is a pretty good pace. I also use a stationary bike between meals. 30 seconds of casual peddling in sets of 3 a few minutes apart keeps bg levels where I want them. Winter is the same as above, but also add on 40mins of mixed cardio a few times a week. This is a mix of walking, jogging and sprints, all done on sand. It's all good for BG levels, the heart, lungs, everything.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Weights, walking and low carb diet. It depends on time of year, currently into summer. So, it's weights and walking. Walking is a one hour thing done with the dog. He's a Jack Russell, so my goal is to walk at his pace, which is a pretty good pace. I also use a stationary bike between meals. 30 seconds of casual peddling in sets of 3 a few minutes apart keeps bg levels where I want them. Winter is the same as above, but also add on 40mins of mixed cardio a few times a week. This is a mix of walking, jogging and sprints, all done on sand. It's all good for BG levels, the heart, lungs, everything.
I miss sand-I grew up on the beach-there is only sandy loam and clay here. They have imported a little bit of sand for some of the waterfront areas on a huge man made lake but they are tiny compared to a real oceanfront beach.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I miss sand-I grew up on the beach-there is only sandy loam and clay here. They have imported a little bit of sand for some of the waterfront areas on a huge man made lake but they are tiny compared to a real oceanfront beach.

I've always lived close to the beach, except when I lived in the US (Colorado), beach is now a 30 min drive. Can't beat the beach, just a great place for whatever you feel like doing. Great place to relax or for exercise. Climbing the headland is a fave for me, but walking and running on a beach are great. You just forget about everything when you are at the beach.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've always lived close to the beach, except when I lived in the US (Colorado), beach is now a 30 min drive. Can't beat the beach, just a great place for whatever you feel like doing. Great place to relax or for exercise. Climbing the headland is a fave for me, but walking and running on a beach are great. You just forget about everything when you are at the beach.
Oh. I know, and exercise just happens without having to try too much. I lived in Denver for about 18 months-a long time ago, that was the first time I felt the need to force myself to exercise.

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been going to gym for 2hrs per day ( more towards weights than cardio) x 6 per week. I run 1x10km and 1x5km per week too and have been doing this since T2. I'm loving my new fitness levels and will continue with this level of exercise as can easily fit it in my life style, rather than sat at home watching TVs and stuffing my face with crisps and chocolate as I used to do!

I cut out all processed food, limited alcohol and limited saturated fat, but did try increase healthy fats and ensured always calorie deficit, (healthy clean diet - more towards a bodybuilding approach on fixed grams for each macro based on actual daily body weight). This approach worked really well and lost 40kg and got my HBA1c to 39, so back in the normal range.

I've got a BG meter recently and trying to moderate my carbs to max 130g per day to see if I can future lower BG levels, but really will only change what the meter says.

Currently doing my own research on the effect of low carbs and high fats on muscle building before trying lower carbs below 100g.

At this point my body seems to be ok with moderate carbs and it helps the bodybuilding to retain this macro as already high protein and moderate healthy fats.

Don't need to lose weight any further so stopped following calorie deficit to maintain weight and increases food intake to find balance point.

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think HIIT/weight lifting/lifestyle changes helped most with BG and the cardio for general health improvements to heart and blood pressure.

I never tried diet in isolation, so can't say really which contributes the most to my progress and wouldn't want to stop the exercise to find out!

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but I have to deal with my care responsibilities at the same time-I can keep an eye on mom while I go in circles with the push mower and stop on a dime when she gets in front of it. I also enjoy the physical activity outside. I could not bicycle outside with her-she never really mastered bike riding and with her dementia she is even a danger walking outside unless I can pull her back out of the street when cars are coming-she does not remember road rules. I used to bicycle before I became her caregiver-I even managed a few rides when I had her enrolled in an Alzheimer's Day Program while I was finishing my master's degree. We have moved back to her hometown and I have not been able to find a caregiver who can safely care for her while I am gone.There are no respite programs operating here now. My blood sugar was under control with just diet and exercise before I had to begin caring for her (for over 50 years)-it spun out twice now with her. She has fallen twice while we were walking on unfamiliar uneven ground-once she was okay and once she had broken bones- after the fall with broken bones I only walk for exercise with her in the gym or other flat, even surface.She is agile but has vision and cognitive problems. I have thought about getting a bike with sidecar but I do not think she would ride in it at this stage. She opens the car door while we are in motion sometimes and routinely unbuckles her seat belt and tries to get out of the car while we are driving. I have gouty arthritis which was diagnosed when I was two years old. I am not supposed to lift weights, use the treadmill or anything that puts additional stress on my joints. Bicycling and swimming are my only orthopedist approved exercise activities. I garden because we both love it but stop when I feel any pain as I am supposed to. Probably more than you wanted to know but I think I am not the only caregiver with this problem. I have no interest in fasting because it sets off gout attacks for me.

@SWUSA
I hear the issues. We've a neighbor that suffers from Alzheimer's and goes walkabout. I do hope you don't suffer from care giving burnout. It goes without being said that you'll need to look after yourself too. Life can be hard when trying to strike the balance. I will pray for you and know that the good Lord will know what's best for your help. Merry Christmas too!

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been going to gym for 2hrs per day ( more towards weights than cardio) x 6 per week. I run 1x10km and 1x5km per week too and have been doing this since T2. I'm loving my new fitness levels and will continue with this level of exercise as can easily fit it in my life style, rather than sat at home watching TVs and stuffing my face with crisps and chocolate as I used to do!

I cut out all processed food, limited alcohol and limited saturated fat, but did try increase healthy fats and ensured always calorie deficit, (healthy clean diet - more towards a bodybuilding approach on fixed grams for each macro based on actual daily body weight). This approach worked really well and lost 40kg and got my HBA1c to 39, so back in the normal range.

I've got a BG meter recently and trying to moderate my carbs to max 130g per day to see if I can future lower BG levels, but really will only change what the meter says.

Currently doing my own research on the effect of low carbs and high fats on muscle building before trying lower carbs below 100g.

At this point my body seems to be ok with moderate carbs and it helps the bodybuilding to retain this macro as already high protein and moderate healthy fats.

Don't need to lose weight any further so stopped following calorie deficit to maintain weight and increases food intake to find balance point.

@Stuart7152

2hours per day is a lot of gym. My bike ride takes 90 minutes minimum but its outside and I don't feel claustrophobic while riding at the beach. That's a job well done, getting your health back, congratulations!

LBB

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is an older thread, but I would like to contribute.

I have put my T2D in remission solely due to diet (LCHF) and occasional intermittent fasting. When I was diagnosed at the age of 44, 2 years ago, my BMI was at 40 and I was dreadfully unfit. I could barely walk for longer than 10 minutes, as my lower back would hurt, or my ankle or heel, or...

As the weight dropped off, however, my interest in exercise, and my capabilities, grew. Now I walk about 5 miles per day and go to the gym to lift heavy weights 3x week. I also do some short yoga/Pilates sessions off You Tube once a week. Weight lifting is exhausting, but I feel great afterwards, physically, as well as mentally and psychologically uplifted.

In terms of age, and @Bluetit1802 's comment " The older we get the harder it gets," I am looking forward to this book: Dynamic Aging (Amazon link)

"What if your lack of mobility isn't due to your age, but simply the number of years you haven't been moving well? Dynamic Aging presents a new paradigm in senior fitness: your age isn't responsible for your lack of mobility; your habits are! In this powerful and effective guide to moving better, geared specifically for those 50-plus, biomechanist and movement teacher Katy Bowman details how readers can regain their balance, maintain their ability to drive, keep their feet healthy and functional, and regain mobility and reduce pain throughout their bodies."

M

mist

I exercise pretty hard and fast!

tumblr_nd6sqkN9QA1rouu9to1_250.gif

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I figured I'd update my progress with exercising. I've come to the end of the road with diamond (conventional) framed bicycle. I've a lovely Cannondale but trying to cycle 20 miles on it each and every day is tough. The small seats are killing my enthusiasm for riding. So I've ponied up for a Rans recumbent bike. I am blessed with lots of bike paths locally and so now I'm upping my bike riding to 170miles / week. Geoff Whitington got ready for 100 mile bike ride and in so doing put his T2DM into remission. I've just come back from a 31mile ride and feel great. I am consistently getting very good control with with FBGs and I may go on an extended tour this summer (1500+ miles) to finally put my T2DM into remission. Yes, my current amount of cycling is working albeit not fast enough to my liking.. But it is working.

Reactions: Larissima