UK importing meat from the USA

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was an advertising push in the 70's called 'I'm backing Britain' it was designed to increase sales in the UK.
If only the British would back themselves and refuse chlorinated chicken, steroid fed cattle and buy English,Irish,Welsh and Scottish products then we could be Great again.
If your'e into French wine,cheese and German sausage then (shame on you, perhaps not the best phrase) thats your choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flora123

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There was an advertising push in the 70's called 'I'm backing Britain' it was designed to increase sales in the UK.
If only the British would back themselves and refuse chlorinated chicken, steroid fed cattle and buy English,Irish,Welsh and Scottish products then we could be Great again.
If your'e into French wine,cheese and German sausage then shame on you.

It is to be hoped that the rest of the world do not feel the same way about British wine, cheese etc.
Britain is self sufficient in just about nowt. I am certainly not ashamed about buying buying foreign foodstuffs, I do however want the stuff I buy to be safe and of a high quality.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And just to add, where are the raw materials sourced to make your breakfast cuppa? Have you noticed any coffee plantations springing up lately? The cacao for your dark chocolate, where is that farmed? Did you buy a British made car and where did the raw materials come from to make that car? All this apart from citrus fruits and the like. We are a small country with a high population, think about it.

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And just to add, where are the raw materials sourced to make your breakfast cuppa? Have you noticed any coffee plantations springing up lately? The cacao for your dark chocolate, where is that farmed? Did you buy a British made car and where did the raw materials come from to make that car? All this apart from citrus fruits and the like. We are a small country with a high population, think about it.

Not in the EU that's for definite they don't grow tea or cacao beans and we used to produce British made cars and motorcycles of the finest quality and we are only a small country with a high population because of our poor border control.
It's time we showed some back bone and stand up for ourselves as a strong independent nation.

I never intended to make this a Brexit argument just a view that you as as a British citizen had a choice of what you eat.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not in the EU that's for definite they don't grow tea or cacao beans and we used to produce British made cars and motorcycles of the finest quality and we are only a small country with a high population because of our poor border control.
It's time we showed some back bone and stood up for ourselves as a strong independent nation.

I never intended to make this a Brexit argument just a view that you as as a British citizen had a choice of what you eat.

And you would curtail those choices. What we used to do before and what we are able to do now are two different things. Our manufacturing base has changed beyond recognition. We have depended on trade for thousands of years, every country on the planet trades. As to the numbers of immigrants, history tells us that in times of unrest the people always blame the 'other' the 'outsider'. We are not being inundated or invaded and truth be told who among us can prove that our ancestors were English? I stem from Irish and Scottish roots but I am English. Go far enough back and I would argue that few of us could lay claim to being British.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For my part I am happy to see English cheeses at my local grocery store, as I used to be happy to see Hob Nobs and am still happy to see marmite on the shelves there.

As a child I wanted a Raleigh bicyle; can't help it if I was given one made in Austria.

I am starting to see shades of Boston Harbor here. ;)

I personally prefer India tea to China.

Bowing out now as I don't really have a dog in this hunt.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
For my part I am happy to see English cheeses at my local grocery store, as I used to be happy to see Hob Nobs and am still happy to see marmite on the shelves there.

As a child I wanted a Raleigh bicyle; can't help it if I was given one made in Austria.

I am starting to see shades of Boston Harbor here. ;)

I personally prefer India tea to China.

Bowing out now as I don't really have a dog in this hunt.

I apologise for my part in derailing. I balk at the phrase 'Shame on you' when it comes down to having a different opinion to that of someone else.

Back to chicken that smells of swimming pools.

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry but why would i curtail those choices by being open to the rest of the world for trade?
Yes we have traded for thousands of years so how does restricting myself to the EU only now help me with that?
BTW i'm also Irish/English heritage.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry but why would i curtail those choices by being open to the rest of the world for trade?
Yes we have traded for thousands of years so how does restricting myself to the EU only now help me with that?
BTW i'm also Irish/English heritage.

By using the phrase 'Shame on you' inferring that your choices are the right ones and mine are wrong. And we already trade with the rest of world but we tend to trade, where we can, with our closest neighbours e.g RoI.

This conversation must end here as we are derailing but I will close with the statement that I am giving up my Kerrygold butter for no man.

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I apologise for my part in derailing. I balk at the phrase 'Shame on you' when it comes down to having a different opinion to that of someone else.

Just as an aside, I 100% withdraw the phrase 'shame on you' as i am not trying to belittle anyone who has an opposed view to me.
I just am resolved to the fact that a majority had a different opinion to you.

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guzzler I'm still proud to call you my Brother or Sister in the diabetic world no matter what our personal views are :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There was an attempt to grow coffee in England, the land was planted and there was considerable optimism about the venture - but the bushes were uprooted and burnt overnight - presumably organized by those with plantations overseas wishing to maintain their income.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

No apology owed to me. :) I was interested to read about the chlorinated chicken since I had never heard that before (and now I'm wondering about the rotisserie chicken in my fridge .... !???)

I am 1/4 Dutch and the other 3/4 English and Scottish, and French by way of Ulster.

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Then you should know better than to make the racist scapegoating arguments that were made against Irish emigrants at the turn of the last century.

I really didn't want to get into this on what is after all a diabetes forum.
Immigration is a good thing but not when our infrastructure can't handle it, we need skilled people not economic migrants as now.

With that unless insulted again I will not be answering again, Thank You.

Post edited to remove inflammatory remarks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will not be answering again, Thank You.

Wise decision.

Any further ‘discussion’ from any member that brings ‘shame’ and national identity together will be deleted.
Likewise with any jingoist chest beating that implies one nation is superior to another.
We are a global community of people who share a condition.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really want to be wrong in my estimation of the situation we will be in post BREXIT, but on the day we leave, there will be very little which will not be changed for ever.

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really want to be wrong in my estimation of the situation we will be in post BREXIT, but on the day we leave, there will be very little which will not be changed for ever.

Yes things will change as they did when we didn't even get a vote to go into the EU 40yrs ago and that for me and 17.4 million others seems like a lifetime ago but just think what might be not what has been it doesn't have to be a negative it will be what you make it. I'm obviously a leaver but I do sympathise if you are unsure of change but so was I in the 70's.
Whatever happens I can only Thank the good people of this forum that helped me and untold others to reverse their diabetes :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes things will change as they did when we didn't even get a vote to go into the EU 40yrs ago

Are you talking about us joining the Common Market some 40 years ago, before it grew and became the EU? I certainly had a vote. We all did if we were of voting age.