UK importing meat from the USA

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NB. The question on the 1975 Referendum was

"Do you think that the United Kingdom should stay in the European Economic Community"

67% voted Yes, 33% No

I couldn't vote of course because I was only 14 in June 1975

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you talking about us joining the Common Market some 40 years ago, before it grew and became the EU? I certainly had a vote. We all did if we were of voting age.

My Bad :( I was not very old so probably thought I didn't get a vote back then, it was 44 yrs ago Hi Ho :)

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I voted against remaining in the Common Market then, but voted for staying in the EU in 2016.

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I doubt coffee would be successfully be grown in the UK outside of hothouses, as coffee is grown in equatorial regions of the Americas, Southeast Asia, Indian subcontinent, and Africa.

As far as the EU goes, I voted against staying in the common market in 1975 [as 2016] I did not want to be ruled by a bureaucratic elite based in Brussels, the intention has always been the federalisation of Europe.

Jean Monnet considered one of the founding fathers of the European Union said in 1943 'There will be no peace in Europe, if the states are reconstituted on the basis of national sovereignty... The countries of Europe are too small to guarantee their peoples the necessary prosperity and social development. The European states must constitute themselves into a federation..."

For me the issue has always been the absolute sovereignty of our Parliament to make our laws, as we can change governments by general election, by the people for the people.

Instead we have an external body, the EU commission [un-elected by us] handing down directives [*see below] written by EU civil servants, rubber stamped by the EU parliament.

As the following states a regulation has to be passed by our parliament without any change, therefore our parliament elected by us has not been sovereign since the passing European Communities Act 1972 The Act provided for the incorporation into UK law of the whole of European Community law and its "acquis communautaire": its Treaties, Regulations and Directives, together with judgments of the European Court of Justice.

As far as EU regulations our Parliament can only 'rubber stamp' them directly into UK law, we are powerless to do otherwise.

I think after all that my BG remains manageable

*The legal basis for the enactment of directives is Article 288 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (formerly Article 249 TEC).

Article 288

To exercise the Union's competences, the institutions shall adopt regulations, directives, decisions, recommendations and opinions.

A regulation shall have general application. It shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member States.

A directive shall be binding, as to the result to be achieved, upon each Member State to which it is addressed, but shall leave to the national authorities the choice of form and methods.

A decision shall be binding in its entirety upon those to whom it is addressed.

Recommendations and opinions shall have no binding force.

With assistance from Wikipedia

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I worked for Allied Lyons there were the archives from the Tetley company - it used to be called Lyons Tetley, and there was a successful experiment growing coffee in greenhouses and walled gardens in England between the wars - to maintain the availability of the plants in times to come was the original intent.

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well Thank goodness for that I knew I wasn't going senile (yet) I did make a previous post that said we didn't have a choice in joining the EU in the 70's, what I should have said was the EEC which had no referendum just Denmark, Ireland and Britains membership into the EEC by the then Prime minister Ted Heath in 73

So technically we didn't get a choice in joining just a choice in remaining in 75 into what eventually morphed into the mighty EU :(

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
and we're still in over three years after voting .
We were always going to be still in for two years after triggering Article 50, that was the 'notice' period for exit negotiations. Then Theresa May asked for extensions.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
We were always going to be still in for two years after triggering Article 50, that was the 'notice' period for exit negotiations. Then Theresa May asked for extensions.
That's true but its now three years and six months since we voted, hope we leave October 31 so we can all move on with our lives , I don't like all the division , but the vote must honoured or democracy is dead .

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That's true but its now three years and six months since we voted, hope we leave October 31 so we can all move on with our lives , I don't like all the division , but the vote must honoured or democracy is dead .
If the government does not request or if the EU members refuse another extension then the 31st is the beginning not the end.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If the government does not request or if the EU members refuse another extension then the 31st is the beginning not the end.
It will be the start a new beginning of being an independent country again .

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It will be the start a new beginning of being an independent country again .
I think you may find that the US trade deals will speak a lot to our 'independence'.

Reactions: Prem51

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Does anyone know if we would have to do this based on numbers. Am I missing something, there is plenty of farm land in the UK, it can't just be my area of Essex that is actually over served by animal farms. I realise that cities are heavily populated, but surely it is easier to scale up than import from so far.

Why not make our farmers wealthier. The fiasco and irony of handing post brexit passports to another country is frankly silly, do we have to buy a dog when we can bark our selves.

I am sure our friends in all parts of Ireland would be more than happy to increase meat supply also.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Why do we need bottled water at all? The tap water here is healthy and drinkable.
Yours maybe not mine I do not nor will I, drink the poison that comes from my tap.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well Thank goodness for that I knew I wasn't going senile (yet) I did make a previous post that said we didn't have a choice in joining the EU in the 70's, what I should have said was the EEC which had no referendum just Denmark, Ireland and Britains membership into the EEC by the then Prime minister Ted Heath in 73

So technically we didn't get a choice in joining just a choice in remaining in 75 into what eventually morphed into the mighty EU :(
That's right and the then PM said that once placed into legislation, that no future Westminster Parliament would ever change that.