UK Pumpers- what's your reduced basal rate today?

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know it's individual / has many factors but I'm interested to see what percentage people are reducing to? I'd love a chart that correlates temperature with reduction percentage! Ha!

Yesterday I reduced to 80% but two hypos despite extra carbs.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Haven't needed to change anything on my pump and it's 34 degrees at the moment

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
As yet I haven't changed anything on mine yet either, my BG levels are running slightly lower than normal but not within hypo range yet (fingers crossed !) Testing alot at the moment though..

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't bother with changing my basal. I just eat extra as needed. But yes, today I've had to do a number of food top ups and have had lower sugars than expected.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not adjusted mine lately but did tweak them slightly as the weather warmed up.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No change for me either. Needs to be a prolonged period of hot weather (and by that as in "in the 30s") and I need to be doing some form of exercise.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ooooh interesting, thank you!

I've reduced mine today to 50% but I'm 9.7 now...might try 65%. Temperature or sleep (which I think is associated with temperature massively affect me)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooooh interesting, thank you!

I've reduced mine today to 50% but I'm 9.7 now...might try 65%. Temperature or sleep (which I think is associated with temperature massively affect me)

You could try changing your meal ratios. I find I need less insulin for the same meal carbs - or more carbs for the same insulin, which is what I usually do as I can top up with carbs as needed.

I'm always wary of altering my basal as I find things can change quickly, and I'd rather have to eat extra than be high. I have altered my basal on occasions due to the heat but tend to not go below 75 or 80%.

When I'm abroad somewhere really hot I do sometimes change my nighttime basal so as to not go low though.