UK's obesity crisis BLAMED on NHS.

Honeyend

On the other hand the life expectancy for a man in England and Wales was 66 in 1948 and it is now 79 so not all bad.
I would have thought the most likely cause of this was social change.
Most of the men in my family died in their early sixties, my dad at 55. They left school at 14, went into manual jobs, engineering ,mining etc, with no H&S rules. Were smoking at 14 and only one room of the house was properly heated. I can remember frost on the inside of the bedroom windows. No antibiotics, no preventative health care. I can just about remember the black buildings that were cleaned in the 70's that were covered in soot.
My maternal granddad died before he retired. He was in the WWI, came home with shell shock and then went back down the pit, where he started work looking after pit ponies when he was 14. The good thing is he raised seven healthy daughters, who lived into their 80's, perhaps because they rarely smoked and worked in the home.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have thought the most likely cause of this was social change.
Most of the men in my family died in their early sixties, my dad at 55. They left school at 14, went into manual jobs, engineering ,mining etc, with no H&S rules. Were smoking at 14 and only one room of the house was properly heated. I can remember frost on the inside of the bedroom windows. No antibiotics, no preventative health care. I can just about remember the black buildings that were cleaned in the 70's that were covered in soot.
My maternal granddad died before he retired. He was in the WWI, came home with shell shock and then went back down the pit, where he started work looking after pit ponies when he was 14. The good thing is he raised seven healthy daughters, who lived into their 80's, perhaps because they rarely smoked and worked in the home.
I didn't say anything about the reasons for this increased longevity. I was replying to @lindisfel 's post #18 which seemed to suggest that everything was worse since 1948. It was just an example of something that had improved.

lindisfel

Expert
I didn't say anything about the reasons for this increased longevity. I was replying to @lindisfel 's post #18 which seemed to suggest that everything was worse since 1948. It was just an example of something that had improved.
I'll have to watch you Mr Pots you have habit of taking what's said out of context!
D.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

The post @Honeyend made was an informative and a friendly one.