Ultimate (hopefully) Christmas Thread - Tips, Tricks, "Hacks", Coping Mechanisms, Swaps, Recipes - Anything goes!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
you could choose to share but that’s scary if others can access it
Uhm, choosing to share means allowing others access, right?

All those recipes on CMT's homepage are from people who have put their settings on share, those thousands of recipes didn't come from thin air.
If you choose not to share no-one can see them, and you can also choose to share only with a select group of people.

1696106478705.png

• Informative
Reactions: Speedbird and HSSS

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
You understand we need a picture of you lounging in your jammies with the hat on, right?
Ohhh not my superman jammies hehehe

• Winner
  • Funny
Reactions: Antje77 and Paul_

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to a garden center's Christmas set-up, and found some remarkable, keto-friendly baubles. They don't yell Happy Holidays to me, but were good for a laugh. :)

Attachments

• 387860297_279675401640630_8229207382106403043_n.jpg
    387860297_279675401640630_8229207382106403043_n.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 387861114_279674744974029_4513684114406769058_n.jpg
    387861114_279674744974029_4513684114406769058_n.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 97
  • 387874410_279675504973953_1392156454776295156_n.jpg
    387874410_279675504973953_1392156454776295156_n.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 91

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
This year I am going to England to visit my 2 daughters and their children for 2 nights each, returning home on the 23rd of December, which avoids Christmas dinner.
Usually I have Christmas dinner at our Community Centre (free of charge, for people who are alone). However this year I am going to be helping dish up and serve the meal instead. So I still have the fun and cameraderie without the temptation!
Win win all the way.

Laineybod

This week I have been experimenting on my hot chocolate recipe. I think I have got it right for me. 250ml of unsweetened almond milk, one teaspoon of cocoa and two of sweetener (may reduce that slightly). It was the best one I had made yet. Still looking for the sugar free marshmallows (flumps) and didn't have squirty cream.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This week I have been experimenting on my hot chocolate recipe. I think I have got it right for me. 250ml of unsweetened almond milk, one teaspoon of cocoa and two of sweetener (may reduce that slightly). It was the best one I had made yet. Still looking for the sugar free marshmallows (flumps) and didn't have squirty cream.
I’ve had the Max Mallows keto marshmallows but I’ve only seen them in one place in a shop in Lytham- tried to get them on line but no joy. Have a look on Etsy many people on there sell homemade Keto cakes etc and I’m sure I’ve seem marshmallows - won’t be cheap from there but if it’s a Christmas treat maybe it’s ok to splash out a bit ;)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be able to buy no-added-sugar mini marshmallows from Ocado, but they don't stock them any more - they appear to have added lots of vegan ones instead ...
I filtered on UK to find recipes that don't include ingredients that are hard to find or very expensive. What's left is mainly sweetener and gelatin with no egg white so I'm tempted to try a more traditional recipe and swap out the sugar.
Worth a try @TriciaWs - let us know how it goes if you do try :)

Laineybod

I’ve had the Max Mallows keto marshmallows but I’ve only seen them in one place in a shop in Lytham- tried to get them on line but no joy. Have a look on Etsy many people on there sell homemade Keto cakes etc and I’m sure I’ve seem marshmallows - won’t be cheap from there but if it’s a Christmas treat maybe it’s ok to splash out a bit ;)
Thanks, I will have a look

Reactions: lovinglife

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading back on this thread I note it was started by a T2. Some T1s then wrote about eating Christmas food and adjusting their insulin.
Yes, T1s and others on insulin can adjust the dose and indulge in treats. But this is a bit more risky for a T2.

We all make our own choices but for me a diet-controlled T2 I am much more careful about breaching my daily carb limit by more than a few gms. I worry because I still sometimes crave high-carb foods that eating high carb for one day or two could easily became 3, 4, 5 days, 2 months and so on, based on my history of calorie-controlled diets.
I started it with the intention of making it a thread for all to share and exchange ideas, concerns, recipes and challenges faced. We may have different management paths and medications for T1, T2 and so on, but most of us share a common aim - to control blood glucose levels. Some of the T1 tips and recipe ideas in this thread have been helpful to me, even though I'm a diet controlled T2 like you

As a T2 though, I very much agree with your second paragraph. I've been pretty dedicated and determined on the low carb approach, it's worked well for me so far, so I don't want to blow it out of the water just for Christmas - which leads me to....

And that is why I spent time on finding (or developing my own) low-carb recipes. I now have recipes for mincepies and fruit cake, low-carb stuffing, chocolate mousse, trifle, gravy, turkey sandwiches, etc. to choose from.
This is just the way to go generally in my opinion when it comes to diet controlled diabetes and low carb especially. I've tried to make it fun and relaxing, trying out different things, and involving my kids too. I'll be doing the same at Christmas too.

Thanks for the recipe links, I've added them to my ever-growing collection!

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And that is why I spent time on finding (or developing my own) low-carb recipes. I now have recipes for mincepies and fruit cake, low-carb stuffing, chocolate mousse, trifle, gravy, turkey sandwiches, etc. to choose from.
Yes. I don't really drink much and I know I can count the carbs in a gin and slimline or glass of wine but at Christmas and the holidays I really enjoy cream liqueurs like (but not limited to) Baileys. I am thankful to the people on here who say"just put whatever you want in google with the word keto" There are loads of recipes out there and my quest between now and Christmas is the perfect cream liqueur

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The one thing I do have on Christmas day is a Baileys, will be the same this year, but everything else will be LC. I've chosen to have a solo day, as it is easier, only sister knows & she's not happy. With the family, they all chivvy & say, go on, a bit won't hurt, I don't want that. Plus, 26th & 27th are two close family birthdays & we're all together, so I'll run the gauntlet then. Xmas dinner will be prawn cocktail then some turkey thigh & bacon, sorted!

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I don't really drink much and I know I can count the carbs in a gin and slimline or glass of wine but at Christmas and the holidays I really enjoy cream liqueurs like (but not limited to) Baileys. I am thankful to the people on here who say"just put whatever you want in google with the word keto" There are loads of recipes out there and my quest between now and Christmas is the perfect cream liqueur
Fortunately, my version of Bailey's has been low carb for far longer than I've been diabetic, following a youthful mistake which I'll simply summarise in the form of the following advice, "Parents - don't leave your drinks cabinet open when you go on holiday!" Anyway, I leave the cream in the fridge and just tip the whisky straight into a glass - unless it's an Irish whiskey, then I add the extra 'e'. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are loads of recipes out there and my quest between now and Christmas is the perfect cream liqueur
Please tell us all about the results from your investigation.
If you do the groundwork, we can simply make the perfect one on our first try if you'll tell us how! :joyful:

• Funny
Reactions: jessj and Paul_

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunately, my version of Bailey's has been low carb for far longer than I've been diabetic, following a youthful mistake which I'll simply summarise in the form of the following advice, "Parents - don't leave your drinks cabinet open when you go on holiday!" Anyway, I leave the cream in the fridge and just tip the whisky straight into a glass - unless it's an Irish whiskey, then I add the extra 'e'. :)
:) LOL you sound like my husband who says "would it not be easier to just drink the whisky?"
Please tell us all about the results from your investigation.
If you do the groundwork, we can simply make the perfect one on our first try if you'll tell us how! :joyful:
No pressure there then !!! @Antje77 ;)

edited for the wink so you would know I was kidding (sort of)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used this one, very acceptable. Only make 2 small portions though!
They do a caramel version too...

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77 and Paul_