stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Good Evening

Please forgive this long post i don't know what to do as i don't seem to be getting much help at my Dr's, it's probably nothing to worry about but i have been told be some people to take things into my own hands and get something done.

The problem is i have been diagnosed type 2 a couple of years ago and my gp refused to give me medication in the hope that i could control it with diet unfortunately that failed and my levels keep going up, in April of last year i was given Metformin and quickly was changed to the ER version due to stomach problems, in December i was sent to A and E and a scan was requested due to the severe pains in my Stomach back and Groin at this point i will tell you i had low level pains in my stomach since starting Metformin. It was decided to take me off Metformin to see if that was the problem and low and behold it was so i no longer am taking it , the nurse did another HAb1c and at a level of 8 she decided i did not need anymore medication as i seemed to be controlling it ok so she says i was not very happy with that response and demanded that something be done she then gave me Januvia and i have no problems with this Med at all apart from my levels seem to have increased.

My Question is how can i have a HAB1c reading of 8 when i have religiously checked my levels 5 times a day and they are always high Fasting is never below 12.4 i do not eat until midday unable to do so due to nausea 1 hour before my lunch i am around 11 two hours after lunch i am in 14's 1 hour before my tea i am around 12 again and two hours after my tea i am 16, these readings have been like this for the last 6 months and i can prove it by the readings being stored in my meter.

Sorry for going on but if things are not right i need to see someone and i feel that i may have to pay privately as i know i will not get anywhere at my Gp's surgery they just refuse to listen

Waiting in anticipation
Regards
Stillo

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Stillo

You really don't seem to be getting anywhere at all! I'm sorry you have problems with your surgery, but at least they gave you a meter - or did you have to buy it yourself? How are you feeling all this time? do you feel unwell?

Go to your nearest chemist and buy some Ketone sticks. These are used to test for things called ketones in your urine. Next time you have a BG reading in the teens, test your urine. If it tests high for ketones, go to A&E, explain what is happening, and take your figures with you. This may be the quickest way to get any action! (The darker the colour after 15 seconds, the higher the ketones; make a note of where you "scored" so you can tell A&E).

Otherwise, in your place I would write down, very simply, what is concerning you: that you don't understand why such consistently high readings on your meter can lead to an HbA1c of 8 - which is high, though not as high as your meter readings would suggest it should be. Can you print those readings out? Make it a brief, clear note, add the readings, and then take it to your doctor and ask her to read it and to explain it to you.

Say you want to get better control because you know you are running your sugar levels too high, and ask to be referred to the Diabetes Clinic at your local hospital. If she refuses, ask again. If she still refuses, say you are going to make a formal complaint.
That should be done first of all through the Practice Manager, in writing. If you get no joy, approach your local Patients Liaison Service (PALS) and explain your problem to them. You can get their phone number from the surgery, or your local hospital website or switchboard should have it.

You are correct in saying your BG readings arer too high - as a Type 2 you should hardly ever be over 10 (depends what you eat), and ideally you should never be over 7. The recommended blood glucose levels for Type 2 are:

4 - 7 before meals
less than 8.5, 2 hours after.

Controlling the carbohydrate (includes sugars) in the diet helps many of us to stay consistently within these levels. Maybe your diet needs a little tweaking? It is also possible that your meter is unreliable, though this doesn't often happen.

Try the two suggestions above as soon as you can; let us know what happens. In any case, come back - it would be useful to know what your diet is at the moment.

Best of luck!

Viv 8)

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Thank you Viv

In reply to your post i feel unwell all the time, i suffer from severely fragmented sleep which i have had a full polysomnogram for and my diagnosis was sorry you have Onset Middle and Terminal insomnia we don't know why but there is definitely something stopping you sleeping sorry we cannot help apart from follow sleep hygiene as you can guess does not work. DN tells me high sugar will not affect my sleep

My sugar levels as for as i can remember have never been below 11 at any time at all when i test, i have today received a free upgrade on my accuchek aviva meter so i will try that for the next few weeks, thank you for your reply it is very much appreciated my concern really was that the Januvia seems to be increasing my levels

Cheers
Stillo

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Sorry me again Viv

Just to let you know that i have just taken a reading at 14.40 today and it is at 17.5 this is exactly 2.5 Hours after eating today no food no water no drinks at all, unless as you suggest my meter is wrong i am going to Gp on Monday and i am going to ask for some intervention i know my self that reading cannot be correct

Thank you very Much

Stillo

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I agree with you, Stillo - get down to the GP, and if you have trouble from the receptionist ask for an emergency appointment. If you have too much stressful trouble at the surgery, go to A&E.

The nurse at the surgery should at least have a finger-prick meter so she can test your blood glucose there and then. Take yours along so you can compare on the same drop of blood.

Good luck

Viv 8)