Unsocialable people at greater risk of Type 2!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm - but I'm exceedingly sociable, always have been.

Reactions: Caz_B

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Becoming socially isolated (for whatever reason) is different than being unsociable as is becoming lonely in old age. Are we being given the added moniker to 'Fat and Lazy' by being 'Unsociable' now?

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I remember an article about not eating in a sociable and pack-like animal way caused diabetes or was being mooted by sociologist, anyway.
Not eating regularly was suppose to have been the point to prove in that article.
Same with this one?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Strangely I am more detached from my kin because of diabetes rather than I'm the black wolf of family which causes me to suffer with diabetes!
I've sort out new kin.
You are my diabetic family!

So no not unsocialable.
However, in the wild I would have been attacked and maybe eaten by my family due to diabetes if I'd been another species!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However, in the wild I would have been attacked and maybe eaten by my family due to diabetes

Thanks to my screen resolution and where I was on the page, that's where your posted ended when I read it. Thanks for the imagery! I like to think that when I go, my body will serve a purpose, possibly that one! I just hope my means of departure doesn't involve my family attacking me. They have been looking at me funny recently thought. Hmmmm.... :)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Who said "There are lies, **** lies and statistics"? S/he was right.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say I love these correlations and the attempts to explain them, even though it may be futile (even if it turns out there is a causal relationship).

I've just found another study comparing personality with glycemic control:

https://jdmdonline.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40200-016-0281-3

It suggests that "Extraversion and conscientiousness can help control blood sugar while anxiety and negative emotions have detrimental effects on glycemic control".

That possibly ties in with the study in this thread; I'd guess extraverted people are much more likely to engage in group activities.

Are unsociable people more likely to have negative emotions and anxiety? I don't know...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunately, i already have quite impressive glucose tolerance weirdness going on. And
I had it loooonnnngggggg before my Party Animal tendencies got bored of glitter balls and curled up with a good book.

So i am glad to continue my unsociable Grinch-like spurning of clubs, societies and team games.
- with the added benefit that it will protect me from all those contactbourne bugs and airbourne viruses that the sociable herd seem to cultivate and swap with such enthusiasm.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have to say I love these correlations and the attempts to explain them, even though it may be futile (even if it turns out there is a causal relationship).

I've just found another study comparing personality with glycemic control:

https://jdmdonline.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40200-016-0281-3

It suggests that "Extraversion and conscientiousness can help control blood sugar while anxiety and negative emotions have detrimental effects on glycemic control".

That possibly ties in with the study in this thread; I'd guess extraverted people are much more likely to engage in group activities.

Are unsociable people more likely to have negative emotions and anxiety? I don't know...
One thing is for sure, whatever our health problems are there are times in everyone's life when we need support. We are social animals and whether we choose to isolate ourselves or have that isolation thrust upon us, we do not fare well.

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so **** miserable I developed LADA!! :mask:

*This probably isn't true

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Becoming socially isolated (for whatever reason) is different than being unsociable as is becoming lonely in old age. Are we being given the added moniker to 'Fat and Lazy' by being 'Unsociable' now?
Well I was fat.. still am lazy and very definitely unsociable so it was a dead cert for me!

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Next week in The Times (or any other newspaper): read all about how those social party animal types will be at a higher risk of getting T2 than anti-clubber groupy grumpy-guts, like me. I joined one group of bellringers, hoping for camaraderie, a chance to learn a new skill, make new friends, and a pint afterwards down the pub. (Ok, the last might have been the clincher). Ha! All very cliquey and miserable they were too!

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure I could put a study together that concludes that you are more likely to have T2 if you wear black shoes :D
Just ignore the fact that black is the most common colour for shoes

Reactions: donnellysdogs