Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Which links are you wanting to see?

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello guys sorry it has taken so long. I had really odd feelings after the appointment. I was so built up for it and then the reality was that Dr xxxxxxx couldn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. So no tests are being done he has suggested that I carry on as I am and continue to try to lose weight (3 stone gone so far) and see him again in 8 months. So I guess I was disappointed but I had already come so far on my own. I told the Dr how I came to be there and explained about the great work nosher and brun do and how great it is that we have our own forum of unusual people :)

He didn't actually say the words reactive hypoglycaemia but he said I have impaired glucose tolerance which I guess is the same thing. He explained my danger zone is not shortly fee eating but later in the curve. He asked me what I was eating and I told him and he seemed happy and said reduce the fat and add in more salad.

My freestyle libre has arrived today so I will start monitoring it over the weekend and report in.

Thanks for all your support x

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
He is more than happy to see people out of their area as it is his special interest and helps his work.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @Linagirl,
Had a feeling that it didn't meet your expectations.
Don't forget it was your first appointment and it was more than three till he started all the tests on me. He has to see if you are genuine and a case worth his precious time.
Bet your made up with the weight loss!

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Yes you are spot on Nosher and it's not that it didn't meet my expectations. I just came away unsure about what was going on. I got my freestyle libre this week so I will send him my results from
It.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thanks for all your help I do appreciate it and he was a lovely man. I think he is quite touched by your support and the fact you have allowed him to trial things with you

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh another libre person! How excellent.

We will have to compare notes.

I hope he appreciated all your hard work, and that you have achieved such good progress, already, and have got to grips with it yourself. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes you are spot on Nosher and it's not that it didn't meet my expectations. I just came away unsure about what was going on. I got my freestyle libre this week so I will send him my results from
It.

I think your next couple of visits will be far more enlightening.
If there is anyone who can get to the bottom of what is going on, it will be him.
Have confidence in him, he will sort it out!
Sending your results with the details of what you are eating, will help greatly.
As Brun says, you are doing well, keep going!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello guys sorry it has taken so long. I had really odd feelings after the appointment. I was so built up for it and then the reality was that Dr xxxxxxx couldn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. So no tests are being done he has suggested that I carry on as I am and continue to try to lose weight (3 stone gone so far) and see him again in 8 months. So I guess I was disappointed but I had already come so far on my own. I told the Dr how I came to be there and explained about the great work nosher and brun do and how great it is that we have our own forum of unusual people :)

He didn't actually say the words reactive hypoglycaemia but he said I have impaired glucose tolerance which I guess is the same thing. He explained my danger zone is not shortly fee eating but later in the curve. He asked me what I was eating and I told him and he seemed happy and said reduce the fat and add in more salad.

My freestyle libre has arrived today so I will start monitoring it over the weekend and report in.

Thanks for all your support x
Hi, impaired glucose tolerance usually means your BG goes up too much after eating, but not high enough to be labelled diabetes, only pre-diabetes

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Oooh another libre person! How excellent.

We will have to compare notes.

I hope he appreciated all your hard work, and that you have achieved such good progress, already, and have got to grips with it yourself. :)
Yes we will Brun. I haven't got started yet but am planning to have a go with it tomorrow.

He was lovely and said I was doing very well. I think he was loathe to change anything and wanted me to see how far I could take the weight loss first.

Sometimes I forget how poorly I was but I had a hypo in the hospital whilst waiting to see him so it reminded me that I can't turn my back on this and forget. I think my sugars are fairly well controlled now. Libre will tell all!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I 've now used 4 sensors, and read LOTS of posts on here.
The sensor seems to be less accurate at the beginning and end of its 2 week life.
So if you can bear to put it on and not activate it for 24-48 hrs, you will usually get more accuracy out of it.

Hope that makes sense!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry your appointment didn't quite live up to your expectations Emma. I can understand your disappointment. On a positive note, he obviously isn't too worried that anything else is going on, otherwise he would have suggested further tests. He must also think you're doing a good job in controlling your symptoms with diet and that's got to be better than medication. Let me know how you get on with the Libra. How long did you have to wait for it? I put my name down at the end of December but haven't heard anything yet about availability.

I would love to see what my bs is doing throughout the day. I know I'm not as controlled as many of you but I'm doing ok. I had a dinner the other night that I knew would spike me, so I was ready for the drop. I measured 9.5 at 1 hour (way too high I know and I won't be repeating it) and was 5.5 after 2 hours. I felt fine, so rather than eating, I waited and tested at 3 hours. I was 5.3 and still feeling ok, no hypo. Other days I can eat something that spikes me no higher than 6.5/7 and within 2 hours I'm hungry and shaky. Makes no sense hey?!!

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Yes I agree he must have thought I was doing well and as nosher is saying each appointment will get better. First day today Kat with the libre I am baffled by it. I ate a gluten free brownie today to see what would happen and it hardly registered and I was starting to think maybe I am fixed and I hadn't realised it. Then however I had a salad tonight with mozarella Palma ham 2 x small figs and salad leaves and avocado. I put a minute amount of dressing in it which was balsamic vinegar and honey and literally less than half a spoon and my sugar is over 10. Confused. Com

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree he must have thought I was doing well and as nosher is saying each appointment will get better. First day today Kat with the libre I am baffled by it. I ate a gluten free brownie today to see what would happen and it hardly registered and I was starting to think maybe I am fixed and I hadn't realised it. Then however I had a salad tonight with mozarella Palma ham 2 x small figs and salad leaves and avocado. I put a minute amount of dressing in it which was balsamic vinegar and honey and literally less than half a spoon and my sugar is over 10. Confused. Com

It'll be the figs and the dressing.

Try them again on a different day, and see if it happens again.
Or try just the figs, with mayo not dressing...

I find the speed and shape of the curve v informative too...

Basically, just play with it. :D

Have you crossed tested the Libre with your usual meter?
Each sensor seems to read slightly high, or low, but once you have worked out which it is, you can allow for it.

:)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It could have been the honey as well.
But as its your first day, you might want to get used to it and see the patterns emerging from it.
Brun knows more about it, it could be where you put it, I've read that on another thread, also the beginning and end readings could be a bit skewed.

Get used to it, don't eat dressings, from my experience, they are lethal!

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hiya yeah I will download some data and post it once I work out how :) I have it on my arm. I am gobsmacked at some results as oat biscuits send me off the scale and yet gluten free brownie didn't so it's all a bit weird. My best night in terms of no liver dump seems to be after peanut butter before bed which makes sense but I had an accident with a wedding cake sample last night which took all night to get over. Amazing how levels which other people seem to have without noticing really affect me xx

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Really informative though and think it will help me a lot to fine tune my diet. X