update on DYI loop with Omnipod pimp and Libre 2 CGM

Renautrain

Dear all,

I just joined your community site. Thanks a lot for having it and keep it alive!

I need to go for a loop system because my endocrino and I can't get a good basis profile. Reactions to insulin are too unpredictible.
But I often have to go to workplaces where smartphones or smartphonelooking devices are not authorized.
Therefore I have to stick to Omnipod and Libre2 (I am stockpiling readers before they all disappear from the second hand market as they too are moving to smartphone apps).
I red that it was possible to loop with Libre 2 but DIY instructions are to be found on specialized forums and DT1 community site.
Would anyone be able to help me find instructions? (I am not an IT person).

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Renautrain.

Renautrain

Just to be complete, I understand that the pump keeps working, even away from the phone where the programming app is installed. I hope I am correct.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @Renautrain . Unfortunately I know little about pumps and looping, but I'm going to tag some people who might know more
@LooperCat loops but hasn't been on the forum recently
@In Response and @Juicyj pump (apologies if I'm wrong) and are active on the forums, as is @searley .

It might be worth looking at some of the threads in the insulin pump forum. My (very limited, probably incorrect) understanding (possibly wrong) is that the old omnipod eros system can loop, but they omnipod are phasing it out in favour of the dash, which doesn't....So which are you being offered?
Insulin Pump Forum | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

I am wondering whether there is any flexibility in your workplace rules on smartphones? Is this a safety issue because the smartphones might interfere with equipment?

Good luck.

Reactions: Antje77

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Ok... with looping the app is not installed on the pump.. its run from your phone... so when you don't have your phone it will revert to using basal only

The best method without a phone would be the tandem tslim with dexcom gives good control and the dexcom is more accurate than libre.. libre is not approve for looping which is why no lump officially work with it.. as the libre is not icgm approved

As for whether you can use your phone or not this is something you need to take up with your employer... if you are in the UK then you are covered by the equality ect and you employer has to make reasonable adjustment.. it could be that being allowed to use your phone to control your diabetes is totally reasonable..

I work on a site where no electronics of any sort are allowed... and yet I still take all my stuff I need... the company just has to exclude me from the high risk area..

But you may still be worth considering something with supported looping like tandem and the newer medtronics.. of wait unit omnipod supports the new libre 3