Update on my brain issues.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update! Update, Update!

Christmas is done and the limping New Year has fizzled out like a damp squib!
first the good news, in my last post about my annual blood results were good and made an agreement with my GP, to take my antidepressants every other day! But that lasted one day!
Because I started mid December and now just over three weeks, later
, I am actually more mobile, more happy with myself, and my brain function has improved but as always with the other conditions, I am still misremembering.
Or is it in forgetting to remember? Or, not forgetting to remember and forgetting? Whatever!!!
I could write a book on the episodes of not doing things, forgetfulness, getting told off from not doing things or my chores, or shopping and in my utterly useless state, forgetting which day, date and other stupid things you want to remember. And I still passed my dope test??????!
It does seem to me that my clearing conscious of thought process is getting back to what I can call me! However, my other mental issues, you know, depression, anxiety are rumbling low somewhere in there, but for the now after a few days of trauma over chrimbo, I am doing a lot more, practically, planning without reservations and even hoping for a weekend away with her indoors, to just get away from the house.
Anyway, the bad news, is the FiL died early hours Boxing day due to pneumonia, not covid!
We thought it was his usual holiday eyeing up the nurses and drying out over Christmas.
Not this time, and we will miss him even though he was a complete ********, selfish, annoying, drunkard and lazy , forever upsetting the wife, but it's another hope in our concious, like all our other loved one's who have sadly passed, they are a huge part of our lives. And it's our job to take care of them now, like they did or didn't when we were a pain!

Because of all this and more, my keto Christmas was fine and sobering.

A sort of, (not yet so) happy New year.
Stay safe, stay keto!

Just back on the forum, @Lamont D , so playing a little catch with one of those posts that stuck in my head.

Whilst condolences to all for loss of FiL, are in order
I for one definitely detect strong hints You feel more settled with life .

As if you are more accepting that not 'quite' you, is an acceptable place to find yourself after all this time.

I hope I am right

And not stepping on sensitive toes, but sometimes THE most frustrating part IS that ache for what may have been,. Rather then
Gratitude we have got closer to some semblance of what we had , then we could ever have imagined.

I know my search for who I was , caused me pain

Accepting this similar but different me, settled me down in many ways, and made that daily trudge through each day lighter and even enjoyable at many steps.
Without that nagging "what would the previous JJ have thought of this ..mmh ?"

We still have who were, and we still have who we can be.
And for now like me I think you have found a moment to take stock, look around, and think

"This isn't so dreadful after all"

Best wishes for the brighter future I think is beginning to unfold for you

:)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @jjraak and

Welcome back and thank you so much for your message of hope.
And the best thing is, you are not far wrong, this is about where my conscious mind is. And my thought process deals and copes with not only my health issues but others around me and being placed in a situation out of my control and directly not my fault or my problem to sort, I have realised that, many of these things is when I was on sertraline, the drug dealt with stopping the blame issues, the hopelessness of being totally lost and no confidence to make a difference it is very similar to being in subjugation and being told to chill out or relax or get your head together.
You can't do it, because you don't want to, you have been put in a situation, you cannot face and the cycle of depression, keeps knocking you back. This is why getting help is necessary and talking about your circumstances without judgement and in some cases to rationalise your decision making and putting your process of all the bad judgements on yourself, into a method of approach that you can get through.
My counsellor subliminally placed a message about, yes you need help, baby steps, and have a direction or a diversion from what you conceive or believe is bad news in your brain. Do not ignore or put aside, get someone to sort it, or ask for help, ask for advice talk to some one who can, it is your problem and only you can alter that course of events, and most of the concern is in your head and when you achieve something that was impossible, you get the rush of success and in your brain all the bad things go away fleetingly. But it's a positive.
Because of the anxiety, the constant doubt, second guessing, fearing the worst, and worst of all is the fear and agony of getting blamed for doing something that has consequences. It is always my fault!
So, how do you find the old me or something resembling my old self?
I don't believe that I will ever get close to the personal mental confidence and be as content with my demeanour and how I perceive myself to how my mindset was before all my one after another after another damaging occurrences that finally caused my breakdown, when I just couldn't cope with anything or anyone, which came down to being more comfy with my solitude.
No, I think, it's the part of acceptance and if it is too hard or difficult for you, then bother someone who can and move on. It is like a production line, if the job before isn't done, the way you do your part is hampered, probably incomplete and that until the process is complete can you continue. When you are really struggling and no one to turn to and then everything comes to a head, there is nothing that is there, that hurts! The confusion levels are high! The dread is heightened! The need to isolate and get away, anywhere where my brain would just stop, and the absolute terror of it getting worse or the prospect of utter hopelessness and despair. And being in lockdown and my only motives I had was to my family especially my disabled wife. That was the only concern to offer any hope.
My life, my working life, my leisure and interests, were all gone! Most other than family had just been taken away, and I didn't know why or comprehend the logic! As I've said before it was one thing after another and I had nothing left of my social, economic, work related life.

I am getting there slowly, the depression has gone, I was concerned about coming off the antidepressants, and even though the recent holiday season was wrecked, my positivity and belief in myself, better than it was some time ago.

Reactions: AndBreathe

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Lamont D

Very pleased my response was taken so positively.

Kindest regards to you

Much in that post for the passerby to think oh dear at first glance.

However so much positive might be overlooked by that first glance through post

I just wanted to respond to say how positive it all sound, but please allow me to post such a shot reply, and mull a while

What comes to mind right now, due to my own current position.

Sidelined due to an RTA.
Back in hospital because one of the wounds became infected.

I'm left with time to think.

I can't walk or mobilise very well.

Full recovery is expected

So challenged myself to decide at each stage what success would look like .

Would day one post op be as good as any day pre RTA....of course not.

And looking back, that was the same principle once DX was given and I started LCHF.

Goal was to finally be as well as possible. Targets were to eat and enjoy in sufficient quantity AND quality while under going such a ' big' diet change.

Would it, could it .....ever be in either situation THE SAME as it was before ?
As good / easy as it was before ?

Possible, perhaps unlikely but it would be different, right ?

We'd see a cast, a crutch being used and make sensible adjustment to our own & others expectations of ourselves.

Perhaps at expected end date, we'd expect to walk unaided, traverse to toilet alone, maybe even return to work in some maybe, limited capacity.

All things we'd judge as "success" from those first lonely days when our 'incident' happened

But we'd all push on, to get better until we perhaps finally realise that today, we aren't quite as good as we were...and maybe won't be tomorrow Either.

Does that stop us being who we are
Or Who we were.

No, I say.

And why should I see mine or anyone's mental health differently, just because those 'issues'' are less easily observed if ever ?

A longer reply then expected.so apologies.

Best wishes
& Kindest regards

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Lamont D

Very pleased my response was taken so positively.

Kindest regards to you

Much in that post for the passerby to think oh dear at first glance.

However so much positive might be overlooked by that first glance through post

I just wanted to respond to say how positive it all sound, but please allow me to post such a shot reply, and mull a while

What comes to mind right now, due to my own current position.

Sidelined due to an RTA.
Back in hospital because one of the wounds became infected.

I'm left with time to think.

I can't walk or mobilise very well.

Full recovery is expected

So challenged myself to decide at each stage what success would look like .

Would day one post op be as good as any day pre RTA....of course not.

And looking back, that was the same principle once DX was given and I started LCHF.

Goal was to finally be as well as possible. Targets were to eat and enjoy in sufficient quantity AND quality while under going such a ' big' diet change.

Would it, could it .....ever be in either situation THE SAME as it was before ?
As good / easy as it was before ?

Possible, perhaps unlikely but it would be different, right ?

We'd see a cast, a crutch being used and make sensible adjustment to our own & others expectations of ourselves.

Perhaps at expected end date, we'd expect to walk unaided, traverse to toilet alone, maybe even return to work in some maybe, limited capacity.

All things we'd judge as "success" from those first lonely days when our 'incident' happened

But we'd all push on, to get better until we perhaps finally realise that today, we aren't quite as good as we were...and maybe won't be tomorrow Either.

Does that stop us being who we are
Or Who we were.

No, I say.

And why should I see mine or anyone's mental health differently, just because those 'issues'' are less easily observed if ever ?

A longer reply then expected.so apologies.

Best wishes
& Kindest regards

No need to apologise @jjraak, I am the epitome of not doing short posts!

My best wishes to your recovery, and coincidentally I am watching an America hospital drama, with US bikers filling up the ER!
If I may, I will relate to your experience, with my old foreman who bought a bike to get him to work and back.
But after three attempts with arguing with the bend of the same stretch of road and losing every time. The last time was a leg break, dislocation of his shoulder (again) and nine months off work. He had to miss his daughters wedding, a holiday in Cyprus and a whole season of football. Oh yeah other than a few scratches the bike was fine.
Whilst in hospital, unbeknownst to him, his wife sold his bike and went to the shops and bought some furniture.

The first reading of your post highlighted by your optimism, grasping the situation and being proactive that there will be a time, when the bad days are only so often and good days are surrounded by ok days, and it's not so bad, is it?

Well, yes it is, you just can't measure how low you feel and how it's affected your state of mind and others around us, cos sometimes and only when we have the lows, your not interested in other people, you can only just about abide others.

The prospect of going out to somewhere, anywhere can be difficult, if not impossible, especially if you have experienced a bad turn, putting yourself in a packed stadia, cos you don't want covid and you are supposed to be shielding, you were a mask and you are the only one! Aaaagh!

It is sometimes really difficult to plan ahead, or be proactive or say you need a rest from everything when your life becomes your house and your life.....

Enough, now!

Sidelined by injury, football, dodgy ankles and very poor football pitches.
During my football life, I would imaine, the loneliest place for sporting elite, is the physics bed or being told you need to think about another way of earning a living! Injuries and missing games due to modern football technology and the speed of the game, the intensity, the pressure to perform and if you don't play or perform badly, get sent off, score an own goal. Some knock and strains, are common now, some injuries can be really bad.
I have had to respond cos you are responsible for the youngsters that plays for your team and first aid is a must. A couple of broken legs,one was a compound fracture, and a towel I wisely covered it with, never came back, a broken unattached ankle, the foot I held for over twenty minjtes, waiting for the ambulance, a knee cap dislocation, when just standing waiting for a free kick and no where near him. Really strange!! Blood concussion, mouth injuries, my son bit through his tongue, hanging by a thread, 26 stitches,, kept overnight in hospital to monitor any swelling, kicking a football the day after! And that was the youth! My eldest playing cricket, spent two weeks in hospital to get his jaw reset and back in place, taught him to avoid, rather than use his best feature to field.
Adults in professional footie, I have seen all manner of things, especially when the player doesn't want to miss an important game. The tricks and quick physio tricks, the supposed fitness tests, and despite all best efforts, accidents and self imposed injuries, to get out of training of games. Is prevalent.
The best tale is a player feigning injury to get a free kick or a player cautioned got told by his own physio to get up and get in the game, with lots of swearing and exasperation from the teams bench.
Just remembered, our star striker went for a meal the night before and after half time, had to run back into the changing room and the smell was something from the stomach ward, nothing could get rid of it, fresh air turned stale, spray just didn't do it and we could have done with gas masks. Still bad at full time and clothes line pegs a necessity!

In footie, you will get booked if you leave the field of play, and you remain without permission that is another booking. However, the referee despite protests from the opposition about getting the player booked, dismissed the ravings!
In my opinion, the player should have received a booking for condemning the dressing room. Wether it was lodged in my nasal passage, but by the rest of the teams reactions, it was still bad, a couple of hours later, when we left!
He certainly left his calling card that day! I still remind him!

That is the one major consideration of my mental issues, after my breakdown, the people who did the major damage to my mental illness, cannot take away the unbelievable memories of my time there and the friends I made, and respected the job I did! However, the guilt I wrongly felt, the thought that I caused my dismissal. Because I wasn't told the real reason and how I was treated, because I was just a number, and tossed aside, like land fill. My status within, was not rewarded fully for what I had to experience and obviously worked for. My contract was deliberately changed within the law to avoid a proper recompense for the number of years I contributed, and for what I was worth. An absolute disgrace.
But this is typical of British life now.
Our health workers are heroes, getting their wages in real terms cut. No workers rights and having to put up with tax rises, while the Tories party.
No contract is valid. Contempt of standards and lying and lying, and wal!owing in sleaze, while a working family queues for charity at the food bank!

Happy new poverty, mate!

Regards, tomorrow's a better day!

Always look on the bright side of life!

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Another update.
regular appointment with my GP,

Because of the Christmas period and another couple of knockbacks to my state of mind. And totally coming off the antidepressants.
I have been advised to start counselling again.
I refused more meds, as I believe I'm more resilient and mentally not depressed.
But my anxiety is still there, I've made huge baby steps and I am trying but there is still a mountain to climb. I just will not do some things that I did before it started.
So, I'm hoping that doing specific anxiety counselling, will help me face up to my fears and worrkes.
It just so not going to beat me!
No matter how long it takes.

I'm not posting on the forums, as I did!
I thought it best!
But I am reading them!

@zand thanks! I went boxing day with my son and find grandkids. And we won. I was shaking all the way through the game, until I got home. Intentions to go to FGR!

@ickihun thanks, you have been through much worse than I have, and even though the both of us have battled back, it just seems it will never end. But it does. Even with all the rugrats demanding your time and effort and money, you make time to read, answer and reply with great advice and experience.
Having a big family, is so great, but you do need your time, your own personal space, which even through the busy times is relaxing and satisfying. Keep up the great work. And regardless, spoil the little uns, cos you will get it back in oceans of love!

@coby thanks, I'm weird, and this is a way I can tell my story and my experience.
Growing up in the fifties, sixties, where we lived and having no choice but to try your best against the odds.
Having to work to actually put food on the table the sacrifices your parents and grandparents, then you, has an effect on your personality that those born and raised without these concerns of life, just do not get!
My local club has a saying, if you are a true supporter, you get it, you understand the culture and the trust of those who want better for the club.
Unlike this government, you @coby get it!
Oh yeah! Well done on your continuing good progress.

Thank you all.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Started counselling again today, can't believe how quickly the service was to give me another opportunity.
it was hard, it was difficult talking to a stranger again.
it made me realise how much I need it, and how to cope going forward.
Anxiety is a weird creature to tame, what with growing old, new conditions and life in general!

But I'm going to do it!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started counselling again today, can't believe how quickly the service was to give me another opportunity.
it was hard, it was difficult talking to a stranger again.
it made me realise how much I need it, and how to cope going forward.
Anxiety is a weird creature to tame, what with growing old, new conditions and life in general!

But I'm going to do it!
Hugs for the uncertainty but a medal for the positivity.
You are a shining beacon to those who haven't yet spoken up. Keep leading by example, please

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hugs for the uncertainty but a medal for the positivity.
You are a shining beacon to those who haven't yet spoken up. Keep leading by example, please
Thank you!

I do think sometimes that I am selfishly pushing myself forward, when I'm not that bad, my physical health is good, my brain needs tweaking but I haven't got the answers, and I could be depriving someone else from the treatment, who really needs it! But, again, I'm overthinking things!

I have always had a motivation to be better and a will to discover the reasons behind it all! And my training helps and training others to help them sort out through this minefield of opinions and steer them through.