URGENT ADVICE

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone

Why for the last three days is James's BG's dropping so quickly all the time. We have today Increased his breakfast ratio to 1:10 and lunch 1:10 from 1:8 but he phoned me from school this morning to say that although his reading is 6.7 he does not feel good. I am awaiting a reply from our DSN but has anyone come across this sort of thing before. Has his growth spurt stopped for a while and his carbs need adjusting (cos I only did this this morning) or is it because he did have a late night on Wednesday after watching Wales play Costa Rica in Cardiff and had to keep topping himself up with food and drink, he was also feeling very cold, so would this have a knock on effect for days after. I am really clutching at straws to know why as we have not experienced this before.

ANY advice or help would be appreciated in the interim.

dot

No expert, but I know that my son's readings are sometimes good and sometimes bad and there often doesn't seem to be any reason for it. Could be those teenage hormones playing havoc.

iHs

Hi

The reason for the change in insulin dose is probably because Spring is coming and the weather is warming up, although its meant to be getting colder again next week I think.............

A bg of 6.7 is ok as long as its 2 or 3mmol above the breakfast bg level 2-3hrs earlier. If the 6.7 is the same level as it was when the previous bolus was given, then it might mean that James needs to eat a tiny snack to make sure that he doesnt go hypo before lunch. Does James eat the same breakfast every day? Does he walk to school or do you take him?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Stoney,
have a look at his basal as well. Just dropping that by a couple of units might solve the problem.