1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Uric acid in LCFH/Keto diet

Discussion in 'Reactive Hypoglycemia' started by jebin, Mar 4, 2021.

1. jebin

jebin · Member

I have been in LCFH/Keto diet for 6 months. Recently I had minor pain in right leg knee and in few other areas on body. Checked Uric acid and it showed 6.6 mg/dL.
    The doctor suggested to take a medicine called Alopurinol for 1 week.

Uric Acid is common during Keto ?
    If there any natural way to reduce Uric acid while continuing in Keto ?

Please suggest

2. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The way I understood it, keto (inc. carnivore) actually clears the accumulated uric acid crystals from where they settled in the body (joints, kidneys...), in effect doing the same job as Alopurinol. This can temporarily elevate uric acid in the blood, and cause gout-type pain.

It happened to me a few times when I started the carnivore diet, but every successive bout was milder, and I haven't had any issues for over a year now. I was prescribed colchicine for the pain. The doctor also suggested Alopurinol, but I didn't see the need.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook