Urine or blood strips

stevenkpalmer

Hi guys
I am new to this business having just been diagnosed T2d a few weeks ago. I have my chest appointment coming up but so far have not been very impressed with the support given
My hba1c is 53 and I have been sticking to a low carb diet , so have lost almost a stone.my question is which is preferable- measure blood glucose with blood or urine. I dont really want to prick my finger all the time.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood glucose is best measured in blood.. sorry but the finger pricking is a necessity.
Doesn't hurt that much once you get the lancet set to the right depth and the benefits of monitoring and seeing which foods raise your levels are very useful indeed.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys
I am new to this business having just been diagnosed T2d a few weeks ago. I have my chest appointment coming up but so far have not been very impressed with the support given
My hba1c is 53 and I have been sticking to a low carb diet , so have lost almost a stone.my question is which is preferable- measure blood glucose with blood or urine. I dont really want to prick my finger all the time.
The urine strips are inaccurate and only give a reading at high glucose levels. Glucose only appears in the urine at levels above about 10mmol/L which is probably not the case if you have an Hba1c of 53.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are only just above the prediabetic range and are seeing results for weightloss, you might just go to have your next blood test and find that you are doing the right thing to get back into normal ranges.
I used testing using a meter to confirm what I already suspected - I can't cope with carbs - but I have never had a positive urine test - in my life. I think that the first indication is for over 10 mmol/l - and you don't want to be seeing those if you can help it.
A meter will help to fine tune your diet - but once I got the rules for my personal diet, I did not test and was still spot on the top of normal, so I think I can be consistent without testing.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @stevenkpalmer

Can I suggest you use the side of the finger pad to do the test on rather than the pad itself which is quite sensitive, I use the sides of my middle, ring and little fingers to do blood tests on and it's no where near as painful as using the index or pads, also use your lancet device on the lowest setting too to ensure you're not getting a full blast of the lancet either, using this method should help make it much easier, best wishes J

Reactions: Steph001

Steph001

Hi @stevenkpalmer

Can I suggest you use the side of the finger pad to do the test on rather than the pad itself which is quite sensitive, I use the sides of my middle, ring and little fingers to do blood tests on and it's no where near as painful as using the index or pads, also use your lancet device on the lowest setting too to ensure you're not getting a full blast of the lancet either, using this method should help make it much easier, best wishes J

Hi that was v helpful. as I’m new to testing just wondering if I could ask how often you’d change the needle. Does it get blunt quickly. I hate doing it too!

Reactions: 1spuds

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi that was v helpful. as I’m new to testing just wondering if I could ask how often you’d change the needle. Does it get blunt quickly. I hate doing it too!

I would change it once a week but that’s me others change it with each test but it really is personal preference.

D

Deleted member 308541

I dial in a new lancet on my Fastclix every time I open a new pot of strips each week.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being well hydrated and having warm fingers helps a lot too.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's meant to be changed at every test. Mine doesn't get changed for months.