Use by date on test strips.

bertj

How important are use by dates on test strips? I test about three times a week (Type 2) so, thanks to an excellent and generous doctor, I've accumulated a number of test strips that are now about a year out of date. Can test strips deteriorate as I'm reluctant to dispose of these strips if they can be still used? I compared a result between an 'old' strip and a new one and there was no difference.
I'd be grateful for comments.

justbabu

I would throw out the unused out of date strips.

I'm sorry if you feel this is harsh, why did you take the strips on prescription whilst accumulating a stock of them to allow them to go out of date?

There are other people who are not as fortunate as yourself in having a 'generous' doctor, so perhaps you should refrain from taking repeat prescriptions until you actually require them.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when you hand in your prescription to the pharmacist, it is OK to tell them if you dont need something, or less of something, and they just leave it off the prescription.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

I certainly wouldn't rely on strips that were out of date. I don't think i'll ever hold onto strips so long that they would go out of date (i test many times a day) As Justbabu says, don't collect them if your not gonna use them, then your problem wouldn't arise.

Of course it's better to have a few too many that not enough but if you find your getting far too many that they are frequently going out of date, either ask to reduce your prescription or give them away to someone who isn't as lucky with obtaining strips, particularly the elderly who find themselves spending out of their already small pension :) I'm sure many people would happily re-emburse the postage fee :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
bertj said:
Can test strips deteriorate as I'm reluctant to dispose of these strips if they can be still used? I compared a result between an 'old' strip and a new one and there was no difference.
I'd be grateful for comments.

I dont know what meter you have bertj but with my Accu Chek Aviva meter it will stop reading strips that are out of date, I had this toward the end of a box of strips that had expired before I could use them all. If on the other hand your meter is still reading them and you say there is no significant difference I would carry on using them as fast as I could, just in case :D

bertj

Thanks for all the replies. The idea was to use up the out of date strips before requesting more. They are not on an automatic repeat prescription; it's just that I made a mistake in ordering more. My meter is a 'One Touch - Ultra Easy' and doesn't seem to react to the date of strip. Incidentally, I rather resent the implication that I'm obtaining strips that I don't require. Also, 'elderly pensioners' do not pay for their medication, including test strips (assuming they live in the U.K., of course). Perhaps my use of the word 'generous' wasn't quite accurate; I meant to imply that my doctor has never argued about supplying test strips to me with Type 2. It seems that many people on this forum are unfortunate enough to have a doctor who will not supply strips to Type 2 patients.

unhappy

Hi I was about to ask a similar question. As I can't get one through my doctor i have just bought one from eBay. The seller had bought this but found it was no longer need. It came in a case with lancets and strips which are all out of date and I wanted to know if I can use them ?? The tester etc are all perfectly good and usable, the only problem is the dates .....

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've bought out of date strips from ebay before (I knew they were out of date). They were One Touch Ultra ones and they worked fine. They read a bit high, but not too noticeable. If as a Type 2 you are only using them to discover what foods make you spike, then it is the rise in numbers you are looking at and not the numbers themselves.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi bertj
Just to clear up one point "elderly pensioners " do not get test strips free if type 2 .We have to buy our own and the meters
CAROL

garythegob

carty said:
Hi bertj
Just to clear up one point "elderly pensioners " do not get test strips free if type 2 .We have to buy our own and the meters
CAROL
unfortunately it seems to be a post code lottery, I am type 2, my doctor prescribes me strips, lancets and I have even had meters from the surgery, I have only been with this doctors practice since January, and an on my 7th box of strips

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App