Using Lancet hurts.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have noticed it is adjustable. The numbers and movement of the needle when I rotate the top sort of give it away :roll:

Mine is just naff. That is all. It bounces against my skin instead of penetrating. And I have very sensitive skin and bleed easily.

But the Glucomen one works fine at the lowest setting (number 1)

lisamariebrankin

lucylocket61 said:
Yes, I have noticed it is adjustable. The numbers and movement of the needle when I rotate the top sort of give it away :roll:

Mine is just naff. That is all. It bounces against my skin instead of penetrating. And I have very sensitive skin and bleed easily.

But the Glucomen one works fine at the lowest setting (number 1)

hi... my daughter was having the same issues with hers... a few weeks ago however she was swapped onto a different meter (and a new finger pricker came along side it) she now has the Roche ACCU-CHEK Multiclix which is alot better and as an added bonus it has has lancet cartridges that i only change every 6 pricks (once a day for us so longs as no hypos or extra checks needed).

Another trick we were taught in hospital was that the warmer your hands are (obviously the better the circulation), try cooling ur finger down with alittle ice or even just wash with cold water. It may help numb and also prevent as much of a bleed????

Has anybody noticed that when low or especially high your blood appears thinner?? (my daughters) Ava's does and i wasnt sure if that was the same for every1.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good points. I wash my hands in warm water before using my lancet and give them a good rub with the towel. I have low blood pressure.

the bleeding is a medical thing for me. When I have any invasive treatment, or dental treatment, it is in my notes in big letters so they are prepared for a bloodbath :crazy:

I bruise easily too.

lisamariebrankin

lucylocket61 said:
Good points. I wash my hands in warm water before using my lancet and give them a good rub with the towel. I have low blood pressure.

the bleeding is a medical thing for me. When I have any invasive treatment, or dental treatment, it is in my notes in big letters so they are prepared for a bloodbath :crazy:

I bruise easily too.

unlucky lol... see i have learnt to carry a pack of handy tissues as well... i used to use baby wipes to clean excess blood but that also encourages more bleeding lol... My little one is only 1 and a half so she hates me trying to clean up the blood afterwards... the amount of blood stained tshirts she has now where she wipes it on herself lol.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Glucomen lancet has a much better spring and it doesnt hurt unless I slip slightly. Thanks for all the help and advice.

I use a cotton pad to press against my fingertips afterwards.

When my DSN showed me how to do it, she used the finger pads (OUCH) so glad I could come on here and get help with this.

meganne

sunlover said:
I've never got around to using the lancet - I just stick the pin in and away I go - must be the scottish side of me

You are very brave sunlover! I must say I am getting used to this finger pricking stuff now, I might give it a go myself! :lol:

meganne

Thanks for all your input folks! I have found that my main problem was that my hands were too cold! I have bought some hand warmers, and the blood flows even on the lowest setting of the lancet. I am delighted, I no longer have to look away as I stab myself! :lol:

jaredlelowitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Something to consider is that when you remove the safety cap from your lancet, you can bend the needle. This then causes a slight slashing motion when you use them in your lancing device.

Bent-Lancet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

akphoto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You should be able to adjust the depth of penetration of the lancet. If you use 'max' you could have a sore finger, but if you keep reducing it then you will find the depth at which you get a good 'blob' with minimum pain.