Vaccinations

Annie05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Norfolk GP has informed me that I do not qualify for the Shingles vaccine, in the over 50's cohort. They don't think T1 diabetics are "Severely Immunosuppressed" or anything else to get the vaccine before a 65 year old with no underlying health conditions. Not how I understood other information available. Anyone else having difficulties? Or have I misunderstood?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Here's what the NHS website says

You're eligible for the shingles vaccine if you're aged 50 or over and you're at higher risk from shingles because you have a severely weakened immune system.

This includes:

• some people with blood cancer (such as leukaemia or lymphoma)
  • some people with HIV or AIDS
  • some people who've recently had a stem cell transplant, radiotherapy, chemotherapy or an organ transplant
  • people taking certain medicines that severely weaken the immune system

That's a fairly restricted list, and I suspect that you'd need more than T1 to qualify?

(I must admit I felt similar annoyance when I enquired in NZ whether I qualified for covid antivirals as a 61 year old T1 with a couple of other minor conditions, given that all 65 year olds qualify. The answer was no.)

I suspect they like to make the conditions simple, otherwise too many would qualify and too much time would be spent arguing.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the issue is that T1's aren't "Severely Immunosuppressed", we do not have a weakened immune system.
What we do have is a higher risk of very hard to manage diabetes with any infection, and thus extra complications.

That said, in my country (the Netherlands) no-one gets vaccinated for shingles.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with the above. Type 1 diabetes is not a reason for a shingles vaccine.
As someone who has had shingles since my type 1 diagnosis, I agree with this policy - Type 1 is not a reason for extra protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: MissMuffett

Annie05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As someone who has had shingles since my type 1 diagnosis, I agree with this policy - type 1cis not a reason for extra protection.
Thank you, I appreciate your point of view. I was quite unwell with Covid, even after vaccinations. With the repercussions from it, Retinopathy etc. It's been difficult & it's worrying.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As someone who has had shingles since my type 1 diagnosis, I agree with this policy - Type 1 is not a reason for extra protection.
I had shingles twice before I qualified for the vaccine. I would have preferred repeated outbreaks to be a trigger but no. At that point I had to wait until I was 70.
They now vaccinate for 65+ in the UK.

It does appear to be about rationing as well as who needs it, as several countries vaccinate everyone who is 50+

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the issue is that T1's aren't "Severely Immunosuppressed", we do not have a weakened immune system.
What we do have is a higher risk of very hard to manage diabetes with any infection, and thus extra complications.

That said, in my country (the Netherlands) no-one gets vaccinated for shingles.
|Out of interest are you routinely vaccinated for chicken pox in childhood? I know we don't in the UK, and it's a "reactivation" of the virus that causes shingles

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
|Out of interest are you routinely vaccinated for chicken pox in childhood? I know we don't in the UK, and it's a "reactivation" of the virus that causes shingles
Not as part of the regular vaccination program. Only some children in very high risk groups are vaccinated.

lindisfel

Expert
My Norfolk GP has informed me that I do not qualify for the Shingles vaccine, in the over 50's cohort. They don't think T1 diabetics are "Severely Immunosuppressed" or anything else to get the vaccine before a 65 year old with no underlying health conditions. Not how I understood other information available. Anyone else having difficulties? Or have I misunderstood?
I have heard of it happening but I can't give you the details.
D