VATER/VACTERL

misst1mammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone heard of VATER/VACTERL syndrome or have any kids with it as it effects people with type 1 diabetics x

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My son has VATER syndrome it affects his spine, kidneys and heart. I don't have type 1 though non insulin resistant type 2 and adult onset auto immune runs strongly in my family. My son doesn't have diabetes yet he is now 19. I have never heard of an.association with diabetes and even when he was diagnosed (shortly after birth) no mention was made of it. Even though there is a genetic association with VATER no one else in my family had or has it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone heard of VATER/VACTERL syndrome or have any kids with it as it effects people with type 1 diabetics x

Hi there - I notice you have two threads for the same query. We don't allow duplicate threads as we find people end up with fewer responses and sometimes irritated replies.

If you could let me know which you would like to keep, I can merge the threads together, so you won't lose any responses. If you could also let me know which forum you want your thread to sit in, I can deal with that too.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes he's normally mobile but less flexible than normal. At the first scan they said he had an abnormality and sent me to kings in London where Prof Nicolaides did another scan and advised me to abort. I was she'll shocked went back to my gp who.arranged for me to see Prof Maxwell at Guys foetal medicine unit who was fab did an MRI scan and said the problem was in the development of the first 4 lumbar vertebrae where only one side of each was formed. As the halves were all on the same side there was a very pronounced curve even then. They said they thought VATER even then but when he was born they would investigate further. He was born healthy had tubes down his oesophagus and up his rear end but all of that was normally formed. Heart scan was normal but developed abnormal heartbeat in the few days after birth, scan after birth showed kidney abnormalities and they diagnosed VATER at his first paed appt at 6 weeks, monitored heart and started on beta blockers about the same, sent to Royal national orthopaedic hospital at 6 months, who put him in plaster to try to stop the spinal curve growth. That didn't work so he had fusion at 18 months. Corrective surgery for kidneys at 2.5 years along with plaster cast change at royal national orthopaedic every 4 months. He wore the plaster up to age 4.5 then a removable cast for a year. Everything finally removed at 5.5 years and he just then got on as well as any other child. It's not easy but there is so much they can do now and this was 19 years ago. He's done so well despite his tough start.