Vegan shakes?

Janedent

I've always loved cooking. But now I've been diagnosed as T2D, and I'm also vegan, to further complicate matters.
Trying to work out and make 3 balanced meals adding up to 800 calories a day on top of everything else in life is more than I can manage at the moment. So I think it's going to be shakes for the forseeable future, with the occasional proper meal thrown in.
I had a look in Holland and Barrett today, but came out more confused than ever.
Searching online, Huel seems like a good contender as it's vegan and it has 'complete nutrition' as specified by Roy Taylor as opposed to 'meal replacement' (yes, I have read the book VERY carefully!). Has anyone tried Huel?
Or any other suggestions for vegan shakes much appreciated.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest you have a look at Purition.
They do several different flavours of shakes in two basic forms, one is whey based, and the other vegan. No additives that are not natural.
Not cheap! So I suggest you shop around. Sometimes Amazon sellers undercut each other...
You add your (nut) milk of choice.
https://www.purition.co.uk/

Amazon can also be a great source of different brand names that crop up when you are searching for something else. I saw a pea protein shake on there recently, but cannot remember the name of it, I am afraid!
Ed to add: the brand name was 'Pulsin'

Reactions: Janedent

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I suggest you have a look at Purition.
They do several different flavours of shakes in two basic forms, one is whey based, and the other vegan. No additives that are not natural.
Not cheap! So I suggest you shop around. Sometimes Amazon sellers undercut each other...
You add your (nut) milk of choice.
https://www.purition.co.uk/

Amazon can also be a great source of different brand names that crop up when you are searching for something else. I saw a pea protein shake on there recently, but cannot remember the name of it, I am afraid!
Ed to add: the brand name was 'Pulsin'
I love, love, love purition shakes. I'm about to have a pistachio one now :) They're great to break a fast.

Reactions: Janedent

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love, love, love purition shakes. I'm about to have a pistachio one now :) They're great to break a fast.

:) I must admit that if I was going to try a protein shake powder, then Purition vegan version would be my choice, I think.
Am currently using the occasional Carb Killer protein shake, as a late night hunger-killer and slow release bg raiser, but the whey content doesn't agree with me, so would much rather have another protein source. One of those situations where it is just a case of keeping looking until you find something that suits your circumstances.

My preferences (at the moment) are very low fibre, pre-mixed, and no need for refrigeration - as well as low carb.
But if in future those preferences change to higher fibre, self-mix and still low carb, then the vegan Purition look fab.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
According to a colleague the Pulsin hemp powder is vile.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I have been drinking the Free soul vegan protein powder chocolate flavour. Unfortunately not cheap, but taste wise I think it wasn’t bad. You’ll have to bear in mind your BG might slightly and steadily spike. I know myprotein do a whole vegan protein/ meal replacement powders selection, I quite like the vanilla flavour. Again not cheap but they do deals every now and then.