Veganuary?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly purines are compunds that our body needs to make and maintain nucleaic DNA when regenerating cells. We can make them endogenously so are not Essential in that way, but important none the less. We make them ourselves from amino acids in proteins. There are many sources of purines that we come into contact with, some of which are listed in the article you linked to. But there are many more sources nowadays that the article does not include, such as many body lotions, foot salves and creams, medecines derived from urea, polystyrene, some plastics, decaying plants. These latter sources are not ones we eat, but we drink because they have all ended up in the water we drink, which nowadys is a a volume source of purines (and also bitrates, nitrites and nitriles that are also touted as being carcingenic. So cutting out meat is not going to remove purines from your life.

I have forebears who died from gout, and even in those times (1800's) it was known that gout was strongly associated with game meat and alcohol. Game meat not because it is meat, but because the method of preparation consisted of letting it hang until 'mature' or proven, i.e. the amino acids were encouraged to break down and decay thus pushing up the presence of purines and creating the 'gamey' taste. It was the way they cooked it that made game suspect. alchol is also associated strongly even today. A prime candidate is also tea and coffee because caffein is s purine too. And as for blaming sat fats in meat, this misses the point that meat fat is actually low in sat fats, and is mainly medium fats. The true sat fat king is Palm oil, and followed by Coconut oil and MCT. coconuts are not safe either.

There are many vegetables that also have highish purine content.especially in light of the increased use of chemical fertilizers that increase the nitrogen compounds. Asparagus, aubergine are high hitters. Most dark green veg also provide purines. Most nuts and legumes also contain significant purine compounds

It is clear that the author of that piece carries an anti meat agenda. It is not a balanced treatise at all.

Last edited:

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly purines are compunds that our body needs to make and maintain nucleaic DNA when regenerating cells. We can make them endogenously so are not Essential in that way, but important none the less. We make them ourselves from amino acids in proteins. There are many sources of purines that we come into contact with, some of which are listed in the article you linked to. But there are many more sources nowadays that the article does not include, such as many body lotions, foot salves and creams, medecines derived from urea, polystyrene, some plastics, decaying plants. These latter sources are not ones we eat, but we drink because they have all ended up in the water we drink, which nowadys is a a volume source of purines (and also bitrates, nitrites and nitriles that are also touted as being carcingenic. So cutting out meat is not going to remove purines from your life.

I have forebears who died from gout, and even in those times (1800's) it was known that gout was strongly associated with game meat and alcohol. Game meat not because it is meat, but because the method of preparation consisted of letting it hang until 'mature' or proven, i.e. the amino acids were encouraged to break down and decay thus pushing up the presence of purines and creating the 'gamey' taste. It was the way they cooked it that made game suspect. alchol is also associated strongly even today. A prime candidate is also tea and coffee because caffein is s purine too. And as for blaming sat fats in meat, this misses the point that meat fat is actually low in sat fats, and is mainly medium fats. The true sat fat king is Palm oil, and followed by Coconut oil and MCT. coconuts are not safe either.

There are many vegetables that also have highish purine content.especially in light of the increased use of cheimcal fertilizers that increase the nitrogen compunds. Asparagus, aubergine are high hitters. Most dark green veg also provide purines. Most nuts and legumes also contain significant purine compounds

It is clear that the author of that piece carries an anti meat agenda. It is not a balanced treatise at all.
Really useful.
Asparagus? Possibly why my big toe hurts when I eat it. I've never thought it was a fab food like my parents but ate it a lot recently as it was keto friendly and nutritious. Perhaps I was naturally suspicious-give me runner beans and savoy cabbage any day - no extra purines there I hope!