Type 1 Vegetables for T1

DJLLJD

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi! My girlfriend and brother are both T1 diabetics, and I like to cook for them. Something I like doing is giving quite generous portions so they don't feel like they're missing out, but due to carbohydrates that isn't always possible. I want to try a low-carb/carb-free vegetable mash that would act as a substitute for mashed potato. It would be a mix of carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, and possibly swede boiled until soft, then mashed with butter and various seasonings. How does this sound? Would this mix of vegetables be as starchy as regular or sweet potato? Looking forward to your replies! :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
carrots are 5 grams carb per 100 gram
butternut squash is a marrow and around 2 grams carb per 100 gram
pumpkin is the same as marrow carb wise
swede is 2.3 grams per 100 gram

so adding that all together and serving a "portion" of approx. 250 gram total

you would get a carb total of 7.06 for that portion -- this is pretty low in my opinion.

boiled potato on its own is about 17 gram carb per 100 gram

try making a mix of fennel , onion , cabbage , and potato, and swede in equal measure
a 250gr portion of this mix is about 11.2 carbs and is equally tasty
or you could substitute cauliflower for the potato which reduces the carb total a lot for that portion.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of low carbers go for cauliflower mash at only 3g of carbs per 100g it's pretty good.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Lots of low carbers go for cauliflower mash at only 3g of carbs per 100g it's pretty good.
the 3g per 100g equates to 7.5g carb per 250 gram portion -- we are definitely singing from the same hymn sheet !!:)

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Celeriac is a really nice addition to a mash because of its flavour, Congress in at about half the carbs of potato. Cauliflower mash or indeed cauliflower rice are really nice low carb alternatives though.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Sounds revolting to me, I would'nt want to eat it!

kimlala

Been experimenting with cauliflower & cheese pizza crust. Doesn't sound appetizing, but sprinkled some wild caught salmon, and lots of seasoning, amazingly my granddaughter loved it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How does this sound?

Sounds good and delicious too, if you use an app like Cook & Count it will work out the carb value so your girlfriend and brother can take the correct amount of insulin. Let us know how you get on.

kimlala

1499025613675.jpg