1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegetarian/Vegan Low Carb Recipe Index

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by purplekat, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Adelle0607

Adelle0607 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you so much @purplekat for compiling all these recipes just like a cookbook :) much appreciated

Dx T2 (2014) Low carb with moderate protein&fat,no dairy or processed.1 serving of fruit per day, (1200 cal) vit b supplements no meds bmi=23 HbA1c=31 Total Ch=170 Fast BG=4.7 (08/14)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Giverny

Giverny Friend · Admin
    Administrator

Great job, Kat! I've made this a sticky thread so it'll always stay at the top of the post list in the low carb diet section :D

• Like Like x 10
  3. Yay! Thank you :woot:

• Like Like x 2
  4. purplekat

purplekat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great, makes it easier for me to find to update it as well :)

I think the desserts will migrate onto a separate thread once I've finished linking them, there's just so many (I've not even touched the thread devoted to low carb chocolate recipes!)

5. danielt

danielt Type 2 · Active Member

Made the courgette ragout this evening it was fab!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. purplekat

I thought that recipe looked really good - was it one of @WhitbyJet's recipes? A lot of the ones I've linked so far were from her :)

Been a bit quiet here as home internet is down, I've been using my lunch hour to do boring things like pay bills. Should be back up by tomorrow evening though, so will get stuck back in to the list :)

7. hels

hels Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. I am not vegetarian but like to have some meat-free days which I gave found harder since going low carb. I've now got some inspiration!

8. danielt

danielt Type 2 · Active Member

Hi Purplekat it was ! The watercress and leek roulade is great too. I have frozen two portions not sure how it will defreeze will report back later when we have it again! :)

9. Susikav

Susikav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning... I have just found this thread, only to find it stops on August 10... :( Have I missed something? Have you started a new thread chaps? Help? Very new to all this... Thank you...

10. Hi Susikav :) I'm still here.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rose28

Rose28 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great idea purplekat.... Thank you! :)

12. Hey veggies :cat:

We traditionally have Sarah Brown's cashew roast for Christmas dinner, but it is full of parsnips and breadcrumbs! Today I tried making a lower carb version by

- swapping the parsnips for celeriac (500g unpeeled weight)
    - swapping wholemeal bread for Burgen soya and linseed bread (2 and a half slices)

I also doubled the rosemary and thyme to 1 tsp each of dried. Will serve with loads of lovely festive veg.

http://www.food.com/recipe/layered-cashew-and-mushroom-nut-roast-244571

Vegan version - last year (pre-diagnosis) I made mini versions for a vegan buffet by swapping the egg for a goo made from 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp of water. Omitted the mushrooms. Cooked in little silicon muffin tins. Worked very well.

• Like Like x 6
  13. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That is great recipe, not just for veggies/vegans, it is healthy for all.
    "1 tbsp of ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp of water" is very clever.( did not know that )
    All we have to do, is swap the butter. being the vegan thing.
    Thanks @Avocado Sevenfold Absolutely brilliant for Christmas.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Wonderfull.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, (she says, trying to be reasonable) maybe Delia is feeding Lilliputians...

• Like Like x 4
  16. There can be no other explanation.

Elsewhere on her site, she says it serves one. I am erring on the side of caution in case I eat too little and a gust of wind carries me off :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 6
  17. cold ethyl

cold ethyl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have always erred on the side of caution and have never been carried off by a gust of wind so I think it works.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Susikav

Susikav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

She must be feeding small people, it sounds just enough for me, and I'm not very large... :) It sounds lush...

• Like Like x 2
  19. purplekat

Back online regularly now, after a number of issues (technical, financial, & work pcs blocking the website :( ). Got quite a bit of catching up to do, but I still have more to add to the list so will hopefully get back to that soon. Feels quite strange being back online properly, not just hurried glances at my email via my mobile phone!

• Like Like x 6
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook