1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegetarian/Vegan Low Carb Recipe Index

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by purplekat, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Either ground almonds or cashews that have been soaked for a few hours or overnight to soften. I always blitz my soups with a hand blender anyway so the nuts blend in. I don't know about amounts, just throw in a handful or whatever you have available. Good luck.

2. JenniferW

JenniferW Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is the point of this - adding vegetables to the basic hummus recipe - to lower the carbs?

3. Yes, less carbs. I was surprised at how much the marrow version tasted like hummus. It is the tahini which gives hummus its taste not the chickpeas. Saying that, I do like chickpeas and (fortunately) they like me.

4. JenniferW

Must try it. I used to regularly eat hummus but it's dropped off the shopping list with the switch to low carbs, I shall experiment!

5. japearse

japearse · Newbie

I've just joined so sorry if I'm asking an obvious question. I'm looking for a low carb vegetarian cook book. Any ideas? Thanks.

6. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

There are plenty vegetarians on the site here, and their food looks fab, speaking from a non-veggie perspective. The link @Brunneria posted is great, and I'd also watch out for @Avocado Sevenfold , whose food I could always hoover up. She's a wealth of knowledge.

If you're looking for something in particular, I find google is great; just searching on "low carb whatever".

Enjoy!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Hiya. There are only a few on the market that I know off.

Rose Elliot - I don't find it very inspiring tbh.

Celia Brooks - nice book, but not what I would eat every day. A bit fancy imo.

I have just noticed this one on Amazon that came out last month https://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-Carb-D...483535598&sr=8-7&keywords=LOW+CARB+VEGETARIAN

The first recipe is for maple granola...oats, raisins, maple syrup...That breakfast would land me in bed for the rest of the day! :dead:

If you are looking for recipes for yourself rather than a book for a gift, I would suggest starting your own folder and adding to it every time you see anything you fancy. There is a lot out there so you will soon have a folder the size of an Argos catalogue, trust me :)

8. Kishorebatra

Kishorebatra · Member

Sweet pototato in boiling water is good

• Like Like x 1
  9. JenniferW

Any more suggestions for low-carb soups or vegetable 'stew' type things which verge on that? I have hyperuricemia (which causes gout) as well as T2, so avoid certain vegetables because they have high purine levels and several on the recipe list so far would be ones I'd avoid (e.g. asparagus, cabbage and cauliflower, and mushrooms). I also go careful on beans and avoid lentils if possible. I'd like to have a list of 7 different ones to get me through the week!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guna108

Guna108 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook