Vegetarian/Vegan Low Carb Recipe Index

A

Avocado Sevenfold

What sort of amounts? I assume ground?
Either ground almonds or cashews that have been soaked for a few hours or overnight to soften. I always blitz my soups with a hand blender anyway so the nuts blend in. I don't know about amounts, just throw in a handful or whatever you have available. Good luck.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Is the point of this - adding vegetables to the basic hummus recipe - to lower the carbs?
Yes, less carbs. I was surprised at how much the marrow version tasted like hummus. It is the tahini which gives hummus its taste not the chickpeas. Saying that, I do like chickpeas and (fortunately) they like me.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, less carbs. I was surprised at how much the marrow version tasted like hummus. It is the tahini which gives hummus its taste not the chickpeas. Saying that, I do like chickpeas and (fortunately) they like me.

Must try it. I used to regularly eat hummus but it's dropped off the shopping list with the switch to low carbs, I shall experiment!

japearse

I've just joined so sorry if I'm asking an obvious question. I'm looking for a low carb vegetarian cook book. Any ideas? Thanks.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just joined so sorry if I'm asking an obvious question. I'm looking for a low carb vegetarian cook book. Any ideas? Thanks.

There are plenty vegetarians on the site here, and their food looks fab, speaking from a non-veggie perspective. The link @Brunneria posted is great, and I'd also watch out for @Avocado Sevenfold , whose food I could always hoover up. She's a wealth of knowledge.

If you're looking for something in particular, I find google is great; just searching on "low carb whatever".

Enjoy!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hiya. There are only a few on the market that I know off.

Rose Elliot - I don't find it very inspiring tbh.

Celia Brooks - nice book, but not what I would eat every day. A bit fancy imo.

I have just noticed this one on Amazon that came out last month https://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-Carb-D...483535598&sr=8-7&keywords=LOW+CARB+VEGETARIAN

The first recipe is for maple granola...oats, raisins, maple syrup...That breakfast would land me in bed for the rest of the day! :dead:

If you are looking for recipes for yourself rather than a book for a gift, I would suggest starting your own folder and adding to it every time you see anything you fancy. There is a lot out there so you will soon have a folder the size of an Argos catalogue, trust me :)

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any more suggestions for low-carb soups or vegetable 'stew' type things which verge on that? I have hyperuricemia (which causes gout) as well as T2, so avoid certain vegetables because they have high purine levels and several on the recipe list so far would be ones I'd avoid (e.g. asparagus, cabbage and cauliflower, and mushrooms). I also go careful on beans and avoid lentils if possible. I'd like to have a list of 7 different ones to get me through the week!

Reactions: Seewalk

VikingMermaid

Thanks so much for this; you are a life saver!

I am vegetarian and pre-diabetic (have a horrible sweet tooth and zero will power) and need to start eating sensibly again. My daughter coeliac disease, so I need to make meals gluten-free. (She's also autistic, which is neither here nor there, except for the fact that cooking the evening meal invariably falls to me.) I have been tearing my hair out trying to find decent meals that are diabetic-friendly as well as vegetarian and gluten-free (or can be adapted).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes

Reactions: markyj and Marie 2