1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegetarian/Vegan Low Carb Recipe Index

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by purplekat, Jul 23, 2014.

1. JenniferW

JenniferW Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tend to just make up soups according to what vegetables are available - but because I don't usually have cream in the fridge, I'd completely forgotten about it as a possible ingredient! Thanks for the reminder.

2. Almonds and cashews are good for adding creaminess if you don't have cream.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JenniferW

What sort of amounts? I assume ground?

4. Either ground almonds or cashews that have been soaked for a few hours or overnight to soften. I always blitz my soups with a hand blender anyway so the nuts blend in. I don't know about amounts, just throw in a handful or whatever you have available. Good luck.

5. JenniferW

Is the point of this - adding vegetables to the basic hummus recipe - to lower the carbs?

6. Yes, less carbs. I was surprised at how much the marrow version tasted like hummus. It is the tahini which gives hummus its taste not the chickpeas. Saying that, I do like chickpeas and (fortunately) they like me.

7. JenniferW

Must try it. I used to regularly eat hummus but it's dropped off the shopping list with the switch to low carbs, I shall experiment!

8. japearse

japearse · Newbie

I've just joined so sorry if I'm asking an obvious question. I'm looking for a low carb vegetarian cook book. Any ideas? Thanks.

9. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

There are plenty vegetarians on the site here, and their food looks fab, speaking from a non-veggie perspective. The link @Brunneria posted is great, and I'd also watch out for @Avocado Sevenfold , whose food I could always hoover up. She's a wealth of knowledge.

If you're looking for something in particular, I find google is great; just searching on "low carb whatever".

Enjoy!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Hiya. There are only a few on the market that I know off.

Rose Elliot - I don't find it very inspiring tbh.

Celia Brooks - nice book, but not what I would eat every day. A bit fancy imo.

I have just noticed this one on Amazon that came out last month https://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-Carb-D...483535598&sr=8-7&keywords=LOW+CARB+VEGETARIAN

The first recipe is for maple granola...oats, raisins, maple syrup...That breakfast would land me in bed for the rest of the day! :dead:

If you are looking for recipes for yourself rather than a book for a gift, I would suggest starting your own folder and adding to it every time you see anything you fancy. There is a lot out there so you will soon have a folder the size of an Argos catalogue, trust me :)

11. Kishorebatra

Kishorebatra · Member

Sweet pototato in boiling water is good

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook