Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Beating-My-Betes

@Beating-My-Betes

Rhythm Company The Crunchy Cauliflower Bites have some oil but it's basically "enough heat and pressure applied" to make them pieces of cauliflower shrunk that are crispy. I love them and they are only 6 carbs per small bag............but not cheap. Great to eat or add a crispiness to the top of dishes, but they do still taste like mild cauliflower.

The chocolate caramel was by a company called Avenure Sweets, really really good. There are a ton of choices now (in the US at least) . It used to be only a few choices. I probably haven't tasted 20% of the companies out there now, although some of the ones out there are only okay to me. I'm a traditional dark chocolate flavor person. I used to own a store and go to the trade shows so I got to taste and question a lot of the companies. But just over the last few years a tremendous amount of companies are making vegan chocolate now.

Below are companies I have tried and liked their products, Vitacost I believe ships international and has several choices.

But some vegan chocolate companies

Avenue Sweets taffy style caramels
Cocomel caramels, chocolate covered caramels and taffy type caramels
Free2B sunflower butter cups
Sjaaks biggest mix and all of it is delicious, my favorite is the Dream Big bar which is similar to a Babe Ruth, their caramels and truffles are really good too.

These companies make various vegan choices

Alter Eco Crispy Quinoa chocolate bar is like a Nestles Crunch, but many others too
Amy's a few bars
Endangered Species, Blueberry and chocolate, coffee and chocolate, raspberry and chocolate,ahuge selection available in bars
Enjoy Life, chocolate chips, chocolate bars
HU mmmmmm cocoa covered almonds,chocolate covered cashews, plus others
Justins dark chocolate nut butter cups
Lily's
Rose City Chocolatier......Gourmet chocolate, delicious, chocolate covered cherries,chocolate covered pretzels, marzipan etc
Unreal, M&M type, peanut M&M type, PB cups

A few others that make vegan chocolate I haven't tried
Beyond Good
Evolved
Goodio Craft Chocolate
No Cow
No Whey foods
Pascha
Taza

Wow! Thanks for the detailed reply!

Regarding the cauliflower bites: Don't have a problem with il, but not able to really buy expensive snacks. If I ever get a new air-fryer I might try some experiments with cauliflower.

I also really used to like dark-chocolate, even when i used to consume milk. Now, not so much. If the cacao level is pretty low, and it's flavoured (I especially like orange), then I usually enjoy it. I guess that what I'm really missing are certain chocolate bars that I used to really enjoy e.g Crunchie, Double Decker etc.
None of the ones you've listed are available in Spain; at least not where I am. So it'd be a case of ordering online, which unfortunately adds even more cost on top of an already-expensive product.

Will definitely have a look for some of these brands, online and might even take a list to the main vegan shop in my city. They have so many brands of savoury mock-meat products (Names I've normally ever heard from people in the U.S), so they perhaps have a good chance.

Thanks, again :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Beating-My-Betes
For fruit with dark hocolate, endangered species makes several, but I believe any retailer has to order a box of the same flavor. So I think you would want to try them first before that. They aren't too badly priced usually. I just don't remember the names, but a couple of companies make vegan white chocolate. But Sjaak's which will probably be harder to get also makes vegan "melk chocolate".

I'm thinking Amazon might be the best option for some of the companies to be able to try one bar or bag at a time.

I also know there are some European companies that make vegan chocolate. They had been mentioned to me at one time. But I did run across this article from a vegan site.

https://www.livekindly.co/demand-vegan-chocolate-rising-across-europe-according-new-data/
https://www.livekindly.co/tag/vegan-chocolate/

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes

@Beating-My-Betes
For fruit with dark hocolate, endangered species makes several, but I believe any retailer has to order a box of the same flavor. So I think you would want to try them first before that. They aren't too badly priced usually. I just don't remember the names, but a couple of companies make vegan white chocolate. But Sjaak's which will probably be harder to get also makes vegan "melk chocolate".

I'm thinking Amazon might be the best option for some of the companies to be able to try one bar or bag at a time.

I also know there are some European companies that make vegan chocolate. They had been mentioned to me at one time. But I did run across this article from a vegan site.

https://www.livekindly.co/demand-vegan-chocolate-rising-across-europe-according-new-data/
https://www.livekindly.co/tag/vegan-chocolate/

There are a few vegan bars I can buy off-the-shelf that are pretty good. I have access to a really nice white-chocolate bar, which isn't too expensive and tastes great! Certainly, in Germany (they have a few 100% vegan supermarkets), things are looking good. And in various larger cities in Spain, things are also improving. Where I am , choices are definitely limited.

Amazon would generally be a good idea. The problem is that much of these vegan products don't fall within the 'Prime' membership. It's one thing to have to swallow a 300% mark-up, but a whole other thing to then pay twice extra for shipping.

Having said that, I have managed to find a white-chocolate bar which is only a couple of euros for 100g and falls under 'Prime, and so is free to ship. Will definitely put some in my next order ;)

Reactions: Marie 2

markyj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a very nice Vegetable stew today blood sugar was at 13.1mmol pre meal hoping it goes down within 6.0 mmol or slightly below at evening meal

• Hug
Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

markyj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a very nice Vegetable stew today blood sugar was at 13.1mmol pre meal hoping it goes down within 6.0 mmol or slightly below at evening meal

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
MMM. Went out today.
Vegan Meatloaf (quinoa, lentils and veggies) and vegan gravy
Mixed Green Salad
Green drink with macadamia milk, spinach, banana, almond butter, maca
Fresh Pineapple

• Winner
Reactions: Scimama and Antje77

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Iced Soymilk chai
Tostados with multigrain shells, vegan refried beans, onion, lettuce, tomatoes.
Pineapple
Vegan chocolate mini cupcake

Reactions: Scimama

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greek yoghurt and mixed seeds

Mushroom omelette

Pancakes (lower carb version with ground almonds and cream cheese approx 1.5g carb per pancake)

Reactions: Marie 2

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast this morning - it’s Tibetan New Year so we were given sweetened rice with candied fruit, plus kapse (deep fried sweet pastries) and peach juice - so I went hungry.
Lunch was seitan casserole, roast potatoes, penne in a mascarpone sauce, mixed salad leaves (wouldn’t normally have the pasta or potatoes but was hungry after no breakfast)
Dinner was mixed vegetable soup, mixed salad leaves, boiled fennel with generous helping of grated Parmesan and toasted sesame seeds, and olive oil

Joah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it possible to go low-carb and eat healthily? My bloods are driving me insane, especially my fasting blood. Always rubbish and spend all day chasing the high and resulting in high hba1c.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible to go low-carb and eat healthily? My bloods are driving me insane, especially my fasting blood. Always rubbish and spend all day chasing the high and resulting in high hba1c.
Hi @Joah it is possible to follow a low carb and vegetarian diet, I do this but I am a T2 so wouldn't want to provide you with any incorrect information as you are T1.
There are a few insulin users on the forum who are also vegetarian