1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Enclave, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes · Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks for the detailed reply!

Regarding the cauliflower bites: Don't have a problem with il, but not able to really buy expensive snacks. If I ever get a new air-fryer I might try some experiments with cauliflower.

I also really used to like dark-chocolate, even when i used to consume milk. Now, not so much. If the cacao level is pretty low, and it's flavoured (I especially like orange), then I usually enjoy it. I guess that what I'm really missing are certain chocolate bars that I used to really enjoy e.g Crunchie, Double Decker etc.
    None of the ones you've listed are available in Spain; at least not where I am. So it'd be a case of ordering online, which unfortunately adds even more cost on top of an already-expensive product.

Will definitely have a look for some of these brands, online and might even take a list to the main vegan shop in my city. They have so many brands of savoury mock-meat products (Names I've normally ever heard from people in the U.S), so they perhaps have a good chance.

Thanks, again :)

2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@Beating-My-Betes
    For fruit with dark hocolate, endangered species makes several, but I believe any retailer has to order a box of the same flavor. So I think you would want to try them first before that. They aren't too badly priced usually. I just don't remember the names, but a couple of companies make vegan white chocolate. But Sjaak's which will probably be harder to get also makes vegan "melk chocolate".

I'm thinking Amazon might be the best option for some of the companies to be able to try one bar or bag at a time.

I also know there are some European companies that make vegan chocolate. They had been mentioned to me at one time. But I did run across this article from a vegan site.

https://www.livekindly.co/demand-vegan-chocolate-rising-across-europe-according-new-data/
    https://www.livekindly.co/tag/vegan-chocolate/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Beating-My-Betes

There are a few vegan bars I can buy off-the-shelf that are pretty good. I have access to a really nice white-chocolate bar, which isn't too expensive and tastes great! Certainly, in Germany (they have a few 100% vegan supermarkets), things are looking good. And in various larger cities in Spain, things are also improving. Where I am , choices are definitely limited.

Amazon would generally be a good idea. The problem is that much of these vegan products don't fall within the 'Prime' membership. It's one thing to have to swallow a 300% mark-up, but a whole other thing to then pay twice extra for shipping.

Having said that, I have managed to find a white-chocolate bar which is only a couple of euros for 100g and falls under 'Prime, and so is free to ship. Will definitely put some in my next order ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Beating-My-Betes

Oops! Just seem to have ordered 3 bars ;)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook