Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
B: Raspberries + Greek yogurt
L: Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, Emmental cheese. Satsuma
D. Stir-fry veggies and Cauldron soya sausages.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Yesterday

B: chocolate chia pud with raspberries
L: walnut pâté, cucumber slices, olives
D: Lidl roll with salad and the last of the pâté, clementine

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
B: Raspberries and double cream
Brunch: Vegetarian cooked breakfast at supermarket cafe.. (Veggie sausage, 2 fried eggs, tomato, two large mushrooms. I succumbed to the hash brown, but womanfully resisted the toast! Ate the butter with the mushrooms..)
Snack. 2 Oatcakes and butter. (Had walked 8 miles, tested at 5.1 and could feel myself dropping.)
Dinner: Linda McCartney Vegetarian meatballs, leeks, mushrooms, green peppers.

Reactions: 4 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ground flaxseeds, spoonful of yogurt
L: avocado, celery, few nuts
D: stir fry veggies, courgette noodles, sprinkle of seeds and cashews

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
B: Remains of the Linda McCartney Vegetarian meatballs, Raspberries and double cream
L: Quorn cocktail sausages, Emmental Cheese, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, satsuma.
D: Steamed cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, carrot, red pepper, with hummus.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sundays can be funny days, time-wise, for eating, and I did a 7 mile walk between lunch and late afternoon!

B: Strawberries and double cream
L: Quorn cocktail sausages, 3 small crackers and butter lettuce, cherry tomatoes, satsuma.
Late afternoon: hummus, mushrooms, tomatoes, 4 mini bread sticks
Mid-evening: Supper: Scrambled eggs and mushrooms.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Yesterday and today: grazing on party food - cold roast veg, pâté, houmous, toast, leaves, olives, nuts, things on sticks, chocolate pie, wine.

D

Deleted member 43917

not sure why but kept eating today

B - oats & almond milk & chopped apple
S - out with a friend so fruit salad in a cafe
L - hummus & cucumber, banana
S - vegan low carb chocolate
D - mixed steamed vegetables & kale with ground flax seed & nutritional yeast

LilaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I still eat meat since starting lchf but want to be vegetarian, your food sounds great and I'm just wondering how you find your control and hba1cs on low carb and vegetarian diets? (if that's what you do) just to join in:

B: homemade grain free granola with almond milk
L: salad with leaves, chedder, port salut, pine nuts, radish, pepper cucumber, boiled egg, tahini, chilli flakes
D: involved fish so doesn't count hahah

D

Deleted member 43917

@LilaE - I'm new to this, so no expert, and haven't been testing my blood sugars daily as my GP hasn't given me test strips, but personally overall i feel better eating this way (I'm waking less thirsty so I'm really hoping my next HbA1C will be lower). I noticed a difference after I cut out dairy/gluten and I tried high fat but I felt unwell with too much fat. I just progressed to cutting down on meat and fish until I was eating very little and read reports of health benefits from people who tried vegetariansm/veganism. Sometimes, like today, I have eaten too much fruit - but I'm trying to eat more vegetables and find eating green veggies especially helpful in terms of satiety. I also find adding nutritional yeast and ground flax seed helpful, and am starting to experiment with other flavourings.

LilaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@LilaE - I'm new to this, so no expert, and haven't been testing my blood sugars daily as my GP hasn't given me test strips, but personally overall i feel better eating this way (I'm waking less thirsty so I'm really hoping my next HbA1C will be lower). I noticed a difference after I cut out dairy/gluten and I tried high fat but I felt unwell with too much fat. I just progressed to cutting down on meat and fish until I was eating very little and read reports of health benefits from people who tried vegetariansm/veganism. Sometimes, like today, I have eaten too much fruit - but I'm trying to eat more vegetables and find eating green veggies especially helpful in terms of satiety. I also find adding nutritional yeast and ground flax seed helpful, and am keen to experiment with other healthy flavourings.
Thank you that is very interesting :) I have found flax and really like it

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I still eat meat since starting lchf but want to be vegetarian, your food sounds great and I'm just wondering how you find your control and hba1cs on low carb and vegetarian diets? (if that's what you do)
Hi @LilaE I follow a vegetarian (not vegan I have diary and eggs) and find I have good HbA1C results, I have bought my own meter and used it to find out which foods raised my blood glucose levels by a lot and which only gave a small rise in blood glucose levels. We are all different, unique human beings so we all react to various foods differently. I follow a lower carb healthy fats vegetarian food plan :)

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: flaxseed and full fat yogurt
L: home made low-carb soup (or Hulk soup according to my youngest as its very green :D - made with celery, spinach and broccoli with lots of garlic and big splash of cream) with low carb courgette bread and a small chunk of 85%cocoa chocolate.
D: toasted courgette bread

Made choc-chip cookies with kids oohh they smelt so good (the cookies not the kids ;)).

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's taken a lot of overhaul of my long term former vegetarian diet which was a lot more bread, pasta, potato, rice and fruit, (banana especially) based than I can now tolerate, I miss my daily banana, but it had to go.

But, yes, apart from my fasting blood sugars being higher than I personally like, my control is pretty good., The Diabetic Nurse at my GP practice is overjoyed with my results so far, (once she'd got over the shock of my initial Hba1c). I do feel considerably more energetic and healthy.

Today, I've started to use soya yogurt which I find I rather like!

B: Raspberries and soya yogurt
L: Hummus, packet of crisps, raw mushrooms, tomato, lettuce satsuma.
D: Soya sausages, steamed cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, red pepper, mushrooms. Bit more soya yogurt for pudding.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Yesterday

B: chocolate chia pud with raspberries
L: walnut pâté, cucumber slices, olives
D: Lidl roll with salad and the last of the pâté, clementine

Ohh, do you have the recipe for the walnut pate? Sounds very yummy.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I still eat meat since starting lchf but want to be vegetarian, your food sounds great and I'm just wondering how you find your control and hba1cs on low carb and vegetarian diets? (if that's what you do)

Hiya :) I find my control has been great on a lower carb/healthy fat veggie/vegan diet. My hba1c has been in the non-diabetic range for the past 2 years. Daily reading are in the 4s, 5s and 6s. I don't like to go as high as 7 personally.

Veggie/veganism is just like any other way of eating in that there are proteins/fats/carbs. It is just how you balance them that makes for good control. Good luck and just shout if you have any questions x

LilaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya :) I find my control has been great on a lower carb/healthy fat veggie/vegan diet. My hba1c has been in the non-diabetic range for the past 2 years. Daily reading are in the 4s, 5s and 6s. I don't like to go as high as 7 personally.

Veggie/veganism is just like any other way of eating in that there are proteins/fats/carbs. It is just how you balance them that makes for good control. Good luck and just shout if you have any questions x
Thanks you that's good to hear! And congratulations on your non-diabetic range!

D

Deleted member 43917

B - kale & avocado & ground flax seed smoothie
L - oat cakes with hummus and tahini, black olives, apple (after using up these oat cakes I may not have them again because they triggered craving)
D - going to try mashed cauliflower with broccoli and probably add flax seed & nutritional yeast