Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

K

Kat100

I had apple and cheese for lunch .. Not forgetting my usual breakfast of unsweetened almond milk with Alpen no sugar added one ..

Tonight roast all the veggie trimmings .. Did not do a cauliflower cheese today , will do tomorrow though ..

Followed by melted chocolate and strawberries ... :) :hungry:

Reactions: 2 people

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had the tofu today - was good with stir-fried broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, red onion, with lots of herby flavours then some steamed green beans which needed using up.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: blueberry and chia pudding infused with peppermint and licorice tea
L: avocado salad
D: mushroom-stuffed pepper (as post #451), lots of leaves
Snacks: 2 brazil nuts, lc lemonade

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: blueberry/licorice chia pudding
L: avocado salad
D: courgetti with Asda mince, peppers, mushrooms, shallots
Snacks: 2 brazil nuts

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: blueberry/licorice chia pudding
L: leftover veg, basil tofu, salad leaves
D: leftover mince, half an avocado, pickled jalapenos, lime soya yogurt, lettuce leaves (was mean to be lettuce leaf wraps, but my daughter used all the big leaves and left me with the shrapnel :bored:)
Snack: 2 brazil nuts

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems the dark rye Ryvita works for me. Couple of slices a day added in.

I am looking forwards to experimenting a bit more over the up-coming week off work. Me and food boredom is not a good mix.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: stewed rhubarb, soya yoghurt, walnuts, ginger
L: guacamole, cubes of basil tofu, leaves
D: tofu pizza-pizza fillet, roast veg with some melted violife cheese
Snacks: 2 brazil nuts, peanuts for later

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Brunch: Linda Mac sausage, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes
Dinner: chickpea and veg curry on shredded lettuce with a blob of minty yogurt
Snack: peanuts

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B :Veggie sausage and bacon, fried egg, tinned plum tomatoes and a toasted Lidl roll
L : Nothing - went out birdwatching and didn't take any food with me!
Snack : Just sampled the blueberry tofu cheesecake I made last night and I'm pleased :) Needed a little more stevia I think, but it's the first time I've used the stuff so I was a little unsure of how much was too much!
D : Making a tomato and veg soup with jut a few split peas to bulk it up. And I'm guessing there'll be more cheesecake consumed :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Brunch: Linda Mac sausage, mushrooms, tomato
Dinner: baked tofu, roast veg, spicy yogurt for drizzling (Alpro with some Thai curry sauce mixed through it)
Snack: cashews

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B : Lidl roll with mushroom pate
L : Blueberry tofu cheesecake and brazil nuts
D : Quorn and stir fried veg in homemade satay sauce

I think when I've polished off the cheesecake I'm going to have a go at one of those chia pudds :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: liquorice chia pudding with walnuts
L: avocado with walnuts and chilli flakes
D: courgetti in sun dried tomato paste with leeks and mushrooms
Snack: 85% chocolate

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: liquorice chia pudding with walnuts
L: baked tofu, lettuce, tomatoes, Thai curry flavoured yogurt
D: moussaka

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi all and particularly the regular posters such as Avocado Sevenfold.

If this isn't too far off topic, I have a question...

I'm intrigued by your diet(s), specifically how low in calories they seem to be (not knowing portion sizes or your requirements/exercise, etc). Do you all manage weight OK?

The problem I have is that I struggle to maintain my current weight (which is close to underweight and I've been in hospital with malnutrition due to digestion problems). Although you eat fresh, healthy food and presumably have good BG control, your meals don't seem very "substantial".

Yesterday, I ate:

B: muesli (Tesco no added sugar), full fat milk and a Fortisip supplement.

L: Half a Higgidy pie (mushroom & feta) with salad and dressing. Homemade banana milkshake, as it was a sunny day!

D: Quorn mince with mash and peas.

Green & blacks hot choc at bedtime with full fat milk - Ok for BG at 16g carbs.

(I did manage to keep my BG in range all day.)

My total calories came to 1500, about 500 less than I need to stop losing weight etc according to my dietitian. (I'm male, 5ft 8in and 9 stone - the heaviest I've been for a while.)

I should try to eat more and to snack, but I struggle to eat any more (I now have chronic pancreatitis which has damaged my stomach and duodenum).

Thanks!!

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Ledzeptt

I can appreciate what a struggle it can be to gain weight as I run a wholefood shop and have a couple of regular customers who are extremely underweight and due to allsorts of intolerances are having a really difficult time at the moment.

Personally my calorie intake is almost certainly on the low side, but I'm newly diagnosed T2 and making a huge effort to get my readings back to normal range through diet rather than accepting medication. As my levels normalise and (hopefully) my weight comes close to my ideal I'll be increasing portion sizes and snacks I expect. I'm 13 stone now and only 5'3" so I have a way to go!

I am finding that as I've cut out the carbs my appetite has reduced, and I genuinely don't feel hungry, so I'm not snacking like I used to.

Have you tried making your own protein shakes and smoothies? Adding wheatgrass powder / hemp protein, that sort of thing?

Yvonne x

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Ledzeptt Hiya :) I am probably not a typical thread member at the moment as I am trying to drop weight quickly before an operation in a few weeks. I am eating around 800 cals a day (more at the weekend) due to reduced portions. It is working for weight loss and improved bg, plenty of ketones, no carb cravings nor hunger now either. Loving it, but it's the opposite of what you are looking for to gain weight.

Your diet looks tasty. Perhaps you could add more calorie dense foods such as nuts, nut butters and cheese or swap milk for cream in your drinks. These things have loads of calories but won't take up much room in your belly. My daughter puts nut butters into her shakes. Could you do that for extra calories?