Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi Ledzeptt

Have you tried making your own protein shakes and smoothies? Adding wheatgrass powder / hemp protein, that sort of thing?

Yvonne x

Hi @PurpleArmadillo / Yvonne

Thanks for your reply, including confirmation that you intend to eat a low calorie diet. I should have said I'm a T3c treated as a T1.

I appreciate your suggestion to make my own protein shakes; it isn't something that I've attempted. The banana shake I made yesterday was just banana, milk and ice cream. It would be easy to add hemp or chia seeds to this or similar.

Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
@Ledzeptt Hiya :)

Your diet looks tasty. Perhaps you could add more calorie dense foods such as nuts, nut butters and cheese or swap milk for cream in your drinks. These things have loads of calories but won't take up much room in your belly. My daughter puts nut butters into her shakes. Could you do that for extra calories?

Hi @AvocadoSevenfold

Thanks for replying and confirming you're trying to lose weight.

I haven't been eating nuts/nut butter/cream so that does sound a great way to bulk up drinks (and perhaps other food - sauces?). I do enjoy almond butter as well as the conventional peanut butter, so it'll be worth trying.

I hope your operation goes well.

Thanks again.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @AvocadoSevenfold

Thanks for replying and confirming you're trying to lose weight.

I haven't been eating nuts/nut butter/cream so that does sound a great way to bulk up drinks (and perhaps other food - sauces?). I do enjoy almond butter as well as the conventional peanut butter, so it'll be worth trying.

I hope your operation goes well.

Thanks again.
Satay sauce is nice and nutty for a stir fry or for dipping veg into. Or if you are making a curry, throw in a handful of cashews. Good luck and don't be a stranger.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks @avocadosevenfold

Today's meals (little time to make any changes):

B: Muesli (Tesco no added sugar) with full fat milk. Fortisip supplement.

L: the remaining half of Higgidy pie (mushroom & feta) with salad & dressing

Snack: Fage total Greek yoghurt with walnuts and honey

D: Beluga lentils with red pepper & onions, boiled potatoes & kale.

Doubt I can manage another snack.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: Linda Mac sausage, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes
L: liquorice chia pudding and walnuts
D: courgetti in sun dried tomato sauce with a chopped up tofu wiener, bell pepper, mushrooms

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: stewed rhubarb, soya yogurt, pecans, ginger (new favourite breakfast)
L: avocado, olives, walnuts, chilli flakes
D: mushroom caulirice risotto
Snacks: peanuts and 85% chocolate

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
B: muesli (Tesco no added sugar) and Fortisip supplement

L: Potato waffle, scrambled egg & beans

D: Vegetable pizza, chips & beans

Snacks: M&Ms (peanut) - 1/4 pack.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Today:

B: Sultana bran with full fat milk & Scandishake supplement.

L: Avocado, walnuts & olives *

D: Spag Bol with green lentils. Rice pudding pot.

*Lunch recipe from @AvocadoSevenfold and very tasty too. It was surprisingly calorific using a large avocado, at 780 calories according to MyFitnessPal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Linda Mac sausage, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes
L: liquorice chia pudding and walnuts
D: courgetti in sun dried tomato sauce with a chopped up tofu wiener, bell pepper, mushrooms
Hi @Avocado Sevenfold bit off topic here .. but do you still like the new recipe LM sausages .. the wife won't eat them now !!!

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Enclave

I don't like the standard LM sausages, but I do enjoy the red onion and rosemary variation.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @Avocado Sevenfold bit off topic here .. but do you still like the new recipe LM sausages .. the wife won't eat them now !!!
Hi Enclave :) I don't know what the old recipe was like as we always bought Quorn sausages before giving up eggs. We tried the LM rosemary sausages but thought they were a bit dry. They need a bit of gravy or something.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Ledzeptt If you want to add even more calories to your avocado and walnuts, put some cheese on it and microwave for a moment or two until the cheese melts. Hot avocado sounds weird, but it isn't really. Smoked cheese works well.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Brunch: soya yogurt with almond butter stirred through it
Dinner: broccoli and sun dried tomato tofu quiche (crustless)
Pudding: rhubarb and strawberry fool

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks @AvocadoSevenfold

It's funny, but I did wonder if the meal would benefit from cheese. I envisaged a cheese such as crumbled Feta, but I'll try one of your suggestions.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Brunch: leftover quiche
Snack: two Brazil nuts, 85% choc
Dinner: Linda Mac quarter pounder on Lidl roll with lettuce, may-o, tomato and pickled jalapeños

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: raspberries, soya yogurt, pecans, ginger
L: half a Lidl roll toasted with almond butter
D: tofu pizza-pizza fillet, roast veg, melted Violife cheese

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yesterday:

B: Muesli (no added sugar), whole milk & Fortisip supplement.

L: Cheese & onion toastie

D: Quorn pieces in a Spanish-style sauce, jersey royals and peas

Snack: Shake with mixed berries, fortified with Fortisip.