Veggie Burger company floats on stock exchange

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just the one ingredient in beef... I checked.
True but the cow could have anthrax, brucellosis, cryptosporidiosis, dermatophilosis, Escherichia coli, giardiasis, leptospirosis, listeriosis, pseudocowpox, Q fever, rabies, ringworm, salmonellosis, tuberculosis, vesicular stomatitis and of course mad cow disease.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
OK guys, this is the Veggie forum. All omnivores are entitled to comment, but perhaps stick to the subject rather than a fondness for meat-based alternatives?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
True but the cow could have anthrax, brucellosis, cryptosporidiosis, dermatophilosis, Escherichia coli, giardiasis, leptospirosis, listeriosis, pseudocowpox, Q fever, rabies, ringworm, salmonellosis, tuberculosis, vesicular stomatitis and of course mad cow disease.

I'm impressed!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a lot of respect for those who chose to be vegan/vegetarian for moral reasons.

Yes, so we should, in fact whatever the reason.

However I just cannot get my head around why the World needs a burger that looks and tastes like meat but isn't.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Having given the "why" question a lot of thought, I think it's so that the ones who want to reduce their meat eating but don't really like the idea of eating veggie/vegan style food have something to eat on their non-meat days. They can have this sort of gross effort, and yes, I guess I'm pleased that they're not munching an animal but it feels wrong, somehow and I can't say why; it just does.

Reactions: jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it didn't have dodgy ingredients, and genuinely tastes/mouthfeels like meat, I'd be all over it - surely I'm not the only person who loves meat but not slaughter?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have just finished watching the Carnivore Conference Q&A session. In it the topic of cellular protein (laboratory grown) comes up. I am happy to eat animals but some of the processes involved in the manuctacture of lab grown protein are truly abhorrent imo and I cannot envisage anyone, vegan, vegi or meat eater who would happily and knowingly eat the end product. I know this is a bit of a derailment but I agree with @WuTwo in that sometimes although we may not be able to explain things they just feel wrong.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I absolutely love these. They taste and feel like the real thing, they’re fab. A bit expensive for my studenty pockets, so I just have them as a treat.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if "non carnivores" worry about vegetables when they cut the roots off, so denying it of nutrients to live... :D

Joking aside, for me it's about sentience, but believe me I'm very aware of the absurdity of my stance on slaughter (and pre-slaughter welfare). I love eating meat, and when buying it and eating it I manage not to think about why I shouldn't.

I grew up on a small holding where chickens, ducks, geese and the occasional porker were raised and eaten in as close to idyllic conditions as you could wish for - while not traumatised by their slaughter and butchering at all I did always feel there was something sad about it. Didn't stop me eating them of course!

So should I raise my own meat so I can be sure that whatever sadness is involved is of a level I could own ethically? Probably. I should maybe only source meat from places I'm happy about but I won't bore you all with my pathetic excuses.

Instead I eat meat and meat products that are certainly part of an inhumane and ethically and environmentally questionable system. I know it's absurd.

Slaughter free (lab grown) meat is my great hope. I'd have no problem with it except it's maybe open to a bit of soylent green corruption!

Reactions: LooperCat

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just finished watching the Carnivore Conference Q&A session. In it the topic of cellular protein (laboratory grown) comes up. I am happy to eat animals but some of the processes involved in the manuctacture of lab grown protein are truly abhorrent imo and I cannot envisage anyone, vegan, vegi or meat eater who would happily and knowingly eat the end product. I know this is a bit of a derailment but I agree with @WuTwo in that sometimes although we may not be able to explain things they just feel wrong.
To me it seems the answer to my problem - meat is delicious but could I hit that bunny over the head with a rock? Not sure, in all honesty. That makes me a complete fool morally speaking, because I would be ok with someone else doing it for me!

I'm really not ok with what I know about animal farming these days - yet still want to eat meat. Lab grown meat seems like a good solution (forgive the pun).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To me it seems the answer to my problem - meat is delicious but could I hit that bunny over the head with a rock? Not sure, in all honesty. That makes me a complete fool morally speaking, because I would be ok with someone else doing it for me!

I'm really not ok with what I know about animal farming these days - yet still want to eat meat. Lab grown meat seems like a good solution (forgive the pun).
I will not post the link to the Q&A here as I would not want to upset anyone but if you research lab grown meat I think you will find that it is not without it's own slaughter.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will not post the link to the Q&A here as I would not want to upset anyone but if you research lab grown meat I think you will find that it is not without it's own slaughter.
Hmm ok I will need to check that out - I was thinking it was possible to culture tissue from living hosts.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmm ok I will need to check that out - I was thinking it was possible to culture tissue from living hosts.
It is how they come by the living host and how that host is maintained that upset me.

M

Member496333

In my opinion something must die for something else to live. Even plants are feeding off animals and other plants. Not sure what people think soil is made of. But that’s the viewpoint I take that allows me to be comfortable eating animals. I do understand why others feel differently. Ultimately, given the choice between eating a slaughtered lamb, or a lamb chop grown in the laboratory, I’m going to choose the one that had four legs.

To me personally, lab grown meat is the ultimate human hubris and we will reap the consequences in the future, just as we are doing now after introducing sugar and bird seeds into our diets because we think we know better than nature. In a battle of wits between man and the universe, the universe is going to win. Every single time.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is how they come by the living host and how that host is maintained that upset me.
Ah... yes I could be stuck with the same problem in that sense but I would hope that the situation would be different.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my opinion something must die for something else to live. Even plants are feeding off animals and other plants. Not sure what people think soil is made of. But that’s the viewpoint I take that allows me to be comfortable eating animals. I do understand why others feel differently. Ultimately, given the choice between eating a slaughtered lamb, or a lamb chop grown in the laboratory, I’m going to choose the one that had four legs.

To me personally, lab grown meat is the ultimate human hubris and we will reap the consequences in the future, just as we are doing now after introducing sugar and bird seeds into our diets because we think we know better than nature. In a battle of wits between man and the universe, the universe is going to win. Every single time.
Yes, I think it's a puzzle rather than an argument, and the puzzle is unique to each of us.