Veggie Burger company floats on stock exchange

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree that the thread location was probably misplaced to begin with, but nevertheless the ebb and flow of the conversation was interesting. Sometimes I do feel like these forums are slightly over-moderated to the extent that freedom of expression might be discouraged. That said, I realise it’s a fine line, and I am most certainly not complaining.

So what’s the Rules of Engagement in this topic now that it’s been moved? Is open discussion about the merits or pitfalls of fake meat now back on the table?

:) The merits and pitfalls of fake meat was always on the table, as was a discussion on the business side of the fake meat industry (particularly this brand of burger).

What was not on the table was the gratuitous posting of how various posters revel in the meat of certain animals. Those were both off topic and wholly inappropriate for this thread.

Reactions: Member496333

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will do. It is a link to a video and if I remember rightly the doctor mentions this at about the twenty minute mark. Don't worry, no images.

Edit to amend. 18-19 min.

Thanks for the link @Guzzler, it was very interesting. I had not researched lab grown meat and am unsettled, but not too surprised, to see that it involves some ethically unsound practices, at least in the instances mentioned. I did a little bit of googling afterwards, and it looks like some meats can be lab grown without the use of foetal serum (pork was mentioned) but there is still the matter of donor animals (I incorrectly said "host" earlier) and their treatment, whether they are killed or not.

I think I'm fondly and perhaps a bit foolishly hoping for some star-trek-esque future where you don't need to harm animals to grow and use flesh as food, and all you need to do is do a tissue biopsy every so often from animals living happy lives skipping about in the fields. Maybe that could be in the future, but sadly it looks more likely that Big Food and Big Money will lie, cheat and manipulate as they always have. Certainly for the time being, I will have to live with my moral dilemma!

Edit: Forgot to say - there's also the potential for a real-life soylent green scenario, as we would probably be even further removed from the source material than we are now.

Reactions: Oldvatr and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks for the link @Guzzler, it was very interesting. I had not researched lab grown meat and am unsettled, but not too surprised, to see that it involves some ethically unsound practices, at least in the instances mentioned. I did a little bit of googling afterwards, and it looks like some meats can be lab grown without the use of foetal serum (pork was mentioned) but there is still the matter of donor animals (I incorrectly said "host" earlier) and their treatment, whether they are killed or not.

I think I'm fondly and perhaps a bit foolishly hoping for some star-trek-esque future where you don't need to harm animals to grow and use flesh as food, and all you need to do is do a tissue biopsy every so often from animals living happy lives skipping about in the fields. Maybe that could be in the future, but sadly it looks more likely that Big Food and Big Money will lie, cheat and manipulate as they always have. Certainly for the time being, I will have to live with my moral dilemma!

Edit: Forgot to say - there's also the potential for a real-life soylent green scenario, as we would probably be even further removed from the source material than we are now.
Well said.

Reactions: jpscloud